It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks cables: US spurned Gary McKinnon plea from Brown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

WikiLeaks cables: US spurned Gary McKinnon plea from Brown

www.guardian.co.uk

Prime minister made personal request to allow British man who hacked into US computer systems to serve sentence in UK.

Leaked US embassy cables reveal that Gordon Brown unsuccessfully put his reputation as prime minister on the line in a plea to Washington that the computer hacker Gary McKinnon be allowed to serve any sentence in the UK.

Brown's face-to-face attempt to strike a deal with the US ambassador was spurned by the Obama administration, in a humiliating diplomatic rebuff.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Well, it surprised me that Brown actually made a personal appeal in a face to face meeting with the U.S ambassador, and it also doesn't surprise me that it was disgracefully rejected by the U.S.

The politicians in the states just hate having their political power tested don't they? They get prodded with the wikileaks releases and all of a sudden some are calling for them to be labelled a terrorist organization. Gary is just another victim of US politicians flexing their muscles showing their "rawr must uphold law attitude", but sometimes they need to realise its more detrimental to their appearance on the public stage.

Nevertheless I'm glad the UK gov is holding off the extradition as long as possible and in the end, I hope they make the decision to keep Gary here and give the US a finger.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

Yeah, I completely agree.

Out of all the things Brown has done, this is one of the good things that he attempted.

I think McKinnon should serve his sentence in the UK, and it should not be 60 years; that is an insane amount of time. He should only get at maximum 5 years, the guy has a medical condition and the US should acknowledge that.

I signed the petition to keep him in the UK along with many other thousands of people, if he gets sent to the US I can foresee a riot and public outrage. The UK Government should tighten it's shoe laces, crack it's knuckles and stand up against the US Government.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Interesting...

I will be honest, I never would have guessed that Gary would be mentioned in these cables.

Good on Brown for this one...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

Gary McKinnon should never even have been tried for the crime of hacking. You cannot , and I mean really cannot call finding and removing data from unsecured servers hacking. You can call it something else, but not hacking. Hacking is the sole pursuit of people who actualy have to break codes, smash firewalls, dodge security checks , and generaly have to re invent computing every day just to do what they are doing.
Gary at no point, broke codes, or actualy did any hacking of any kind. He stumbled on a frankly laughable lack of security , and exploited it , but those two things are very different.
Not only did he not actualy partake in any form of hacking, but he also had no control over his behaviour, being as he has Aspergers Autism which in some cases (like his) can make him a slave to his obsessions, and at the time he had an obsession with the NASA cover up of alien life. He claimed that the whole NASA organisation had defrauded the American taxpayer, because they had never reported the alien life that they knew existed, according to the files he apparantly found. He considered this fraud because the US taxpayer was ploughing huge wads of cash into NASA , only for NASA to constantly lie about what information they had.
Now, rightly or wrongly , he did look at information that he shouldnt have, but he was only able to access that information, not through determined cyber assaults on the servers he gleaned his information from, but because there was NO security whatsoever in his way.
If anything , he did NASA a favour in alerting them to this particular backdoor route into thier servers, and he broke NO law on the way in. Also , it is absolutely not the case that his presence caused hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage. He might have cost some security professionals thier jobs, but any damage found to have been sustained by the servers is the responsibility of the people operating the servers to prevent, and is nothing to do with Gary .
He cannot realisticaly be held accountable for his actions due to his condition, and yet the US Nazi government wont leave him be? They ought to be ashamed of themselves for singling him out , amongst all the GENUINE threats that have presented them selves over the years. What a bunch of total scumbags. I hope when one of the patriots in the US decide to do something equaly innocent to MI5 , or the natural history museum of london, that our secret service just roll up at the perpetrators house , and render him back here. Then we can have a nice equal sit down talk about just how sad and pathetic the American security services are.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The US has been full of itself since forever.Its about time somebody let them know they dont run the world yet.......Gary should never have been touched by the yankee imperialists.A pox on the British goverment.Their spineless snuffling at the feet of DHS is reprehensible!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Gary who? Did he do anything important? Did he bring us any revelations? Anything? Is he in jail? Has he been extradited yet? Its been 9 years after all.

Gary McKinnon - Made Famous - World goes Insane
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join