It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks release 'shows China thinking on Korea' - Road to war with no way out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
BBC News

So with the release of the Diplomatic Cables, we are seeing how the world of Diplomacy works, from back room deals, to more straight forward pleas. The one topic that caught my eye was the cables about China and how they view N. Korea.

While to the outside world it looks as if China and North Korea are in lock step. China is their ally and for the most part props them up. With the leak of the cables though we are getting a much different story that raises some serious problems.

Specifically Chinas thoughts and views on N. Korea:

Pyongyang was behaving like a "spoiled child", a Chinese foreign ministry official is quoted as having said in 2009, in cables released by Wikileaks.

Officials reportedly told South Korean counterparts that Beijing placed little value on the North as a buffer state.

The peninsula should be reunified under Seoul's control, they suggested.

These view points are from the Chinese Government, which I am sure N. Korea is now scrathing their heads going wtf. It gets better though:

The PRC would be comfortable with a reunified Korea controlled by Seoul and anchored to the United States in a 'benign alliance' - as long as Korea was not hostile towards China," her message added.

There is plenty more in the documents along the same lines.

So the question becomes how does this change North Koreas attitude and how does it affect their long term planning? Other comments coming from China stated N. Korea would most likely collapse a few years after Kim Jong Il dies, stating the son would not be able to hold it together and the military would go for the power struggle.

With the revelation that China would not interfere with military action against the North, reunification under Soul, etc I am wondering if this leak just sealed the deal with war on the penninsula now.

If N. Korea feels they are no longer supported, and instead now surrounded by "enemies" does anyone think they might go down the road of a last ditch all or nothing blaze of glory? After looking at all of this I dont see any other options for the North.

Their fate has been sealed by the cable release on China.

North Korea has nothing left to lose by going down in a blaze of glory.

Thoughts? Comments?

edit on 30-11-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I doubt the credibility of that information. Even if it is true, I doubt China will act according those private secret talks. China shows otherwise with her actions. Especially in the latest circumstances with increased tensions between China and USA.

Also I don't see efforts for Peaceful reunification of the current S.Korean government, rather a preparation for war. Perhaps the North would never fire if there wasn't a South drill on disputed island. Perhaps the war is longed for by the South in no lesser degree. USA is pouring oil into the fire by sending carrier after carrier (second one en route). Japan will enter the game too. Remember Japanese past - control over both Koreas and a significant part of China. What reunification could be seen therefore, with or without Wikileaks, with or without those secretive Chinese words? Rather a war that could become nuclear. What will be post-war Korea, perhaps unified/invaded one way or another? What will be the post WW3 world? It is hard to predict even for nowadays prophets. You may want to check them too.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Gliese581

Ok let me see if I have this right. If the US or one of her allies in the region, which by the way are sovereign nations, hold military drills (we are allies) its provocative and we are pouring oil on the fire.

If North Korea sinks a S. Korean vessel, killing 46 sailors, its acceptable? If North Korea shells and island and kills a few people, its acceptable because the island is in dispute? If North Korea infiltrates the DMZ and hacks a member of the military to pieces, its acceptable. When North Korea fires a missile over the country of Japan, its acceptable?

Out of curiosity at what point did it become acceptable to behave like an errant school boy, blaming others for their actions?

Also keep in mind there was never a peace treaty signed. The war is still active, and the penninsual is operating on a cease fire only. Based on that its only logical to have combined training and wargames with our allies in the region.

As a follow up question - You said you dont trust the wikileaks (Diplomatic Cables). I am genuinely intrested on your thoughts and how you arrive at that conclusion.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
North Koreas fate may be sealed but we may be playing Tajans game of watch and wait,seeing what happens when Dear leader dies and junior takes over,therefore war may not be as imminent as some perceive.

new topics

top topics

join