It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Astronaut Theory: The New, Oldest, and Only TRUE Religion

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by of the Ether

You know why it sounds so similar to ancient mythology? Because it's modern mythology. It's all built up in the exact same manner that ancient superstition developed.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Very fascinating, made me even question my own personal belief, I shall be looking much more in depth with this topic!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Try actually reading the scholarly articles on Puma Punku, it has absolutely, positively been explained by conventional archeology.

Link your favorite sources, please. I'd love to read about it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Well, I tend to use a bunch of journals that I have access to through my university...but you could just try actually reading some scholarly articles prior to accepting the claims of conspiracy theorists.

A quick search on Google Scholar already reveals a plethora of sources. And don't act like you couldn't have done that yourself.

I actually first heard about Puma Punku through some History Channel special or other on the ancient astronaut idea some years ago, so I decided to actually bother checking the academic literature. You'd be surprised at how often these people lie out of their rears...well, either they're lying or they just never bother to do any research for themselves.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

Try actually reading the scholarly articles on Puma Punku, it has absolutely, positively been explained by conventional archeology.

*crickets chirping*.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I've been an evolutionist my whole life, until I started studying it more. Life on this planet shows abrupt transformations overnight, not slow transitions over time.

Hhhmm I'm still pondering the effects of epigenetics, mutation and viral symbiosis as driving forces in evolution, and how viruses make up 43% of the human genome. Also without bacterial evolution within the human DNA we wouldn't have mammalian births, be able to digest food or utilise the poisonous substance called oxygen.

Lots to think about from new discoveries.

edit on 9-6-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
I love how it's acceptable to believe aliens created us, but if I were to substitute the word aliens for something along the lines of...oh I don't know...God...I would be ridiculed and mocked.

Basically all AAT amounts to is taking God out of the equation for the substitute term of "aliens".

A2D

Well have you got as far as realising your god was out of the equation back then?
... that would be your revelation.
edit on 9-6-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Lies? I thought that the only reason that some egyptologists think that the pyraminds date from 2500BC because they found some graffiti bearing Khufu's (sp) name. Its a big leap from that to stating that they were built then. There is no way to carbon date either the pyramids or the sphinx to get an exact date. Why are you so sure they are from 2500BC???

I believe Graham Hancock did some work to show that one of the small holes that lead upwards out of the pyramid line up with the constellation Orion as it was positioned 10000 BC.

I also remember reading somewhere that with even today's technology there are only about 4 cranes in the world that are capable of lifting some of the blocks of stone in and around the plateau.

Seems to me like someone/something has been around a lot longer than we think.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spolvil

Far from the only reason. You can carbon date stuff from inside the pyramids, also apparently the pyramids did line with stars, just not the ones Hancock claims, the lining was perfect 2467 B.C for Cheops
edit on 9-6-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Re: the pyramids. Hadn't it been shown, that the Sphinx had water around it, at on point (post construction) and the last time water was on that part of the Nile delta was something like 10,000 hrs ago(?)

The pyramids (rather, the Great) are a whoole 'nother can of worms!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Hi. I'm here because I received a scolding from you in my ancient aliens thread and an invitation to this one. No surprise that this is a thread I've already read and commented upon before. Even without going back to look at what I said I can tell I probably have said everything I'm about to say before.

It is insulting to the ancients and myth makers to claim that they could not have come up with these ideas but instead had to rely on aliens as their inspiration. It also makes no sense. There are gods that do not come from the heavens but instead live in the underworld or realm of the dead, on mountaintops, beneath the seas or are embodied in the wind. There are gods that can influence thoughts, flood the entire planet and cause animals to talk. And you mean to insult our intelligence and claim that these are all aliens? What of the gods often having NATURAL domains and being anthropomorphized personifications of nature. Volanco gods, Zeus hurling lighting. Quite frankly reinterpreting these as aliens makes no sense and in order to do it you must ignore stories that sound NOTHING like aliens and rob all the others out of their context in order to paint aliens into existing mythology.

And yet I'm the one who should be ashamed

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

You received your 'scolding' on your thread, for the following, as stated...

That's it?!

You said...

This is gonna be a long one folks

And, it was over...

You briefly talk about about the most irrelevant and inconsequential 'evidence' towards Ancient Astronaut Theory I've ever seen, and then claim yourself Grand-Master of the AAT world.

Hilarious.

Here is exactly how UNimportant the crap you talk about in our post** (Piri Reis map, landing strips, astronaut statues, plane models, Baghdad Battery, lamps in the pyramids, etc...):

Check the "AAT" thread linked in my sig (you know it, you've been there) - we went an entire 8 pages without speaking ONE WORD of those topics, yet still managed to have an intelligent discussion on the subject.

Now, you star and flag horde, by feeding on the short-attention-Span audience that doesn't believe in it either and just liked your Title!

Those 'examples' are not even used when true AAT subscribers talk about it**. What is that footage, 3 years Old? That might have all gotten us thinking, but it certainly isnt relevant, anymore.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

*crickets chirping*.

Try clicking the link MIMS gave you.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I see that once again you've chosen to make your response about me instead of about the topic at hand. If you've got some kind of arguments or evidence to support ancient aliens I suggest you present it in reply to me either here or in my own thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Okay, then. Some food for thought: Aboriginals: Their Flying Shiny Eggs and Moon-Man tales (New ATS thread)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I must've skimmed over this, the first time...

1. Where and how did they acquire the knowledge of precise geometric shape, mathematics and calculations (for pyramid building) when, according to 'history' they were supposed to be nomadic cave dwellers.

I'm not a historian and I'm also not a mathematician. My advice would be to find one of those, find someone who knows about the history of how mathematics developed in Egypt. My best guess is that it has a lot to do with written language, once language was written down units of measure could be devised and standardized across the entirety of Egypt. Regardless it is far more likely that they would develop the knowledge on their own than receive it from aliens, especially with the complete lack of physical evidence for alien interference.

... otherwise, I would've responded...

I am a mathematician. Received my Bachelor's degree from The University of Texas (Longhorns) '94

And, that's precisely how approach ALL of this stuff - probability-wise. Not, just AAT - ALL of it. From JFK, to 9/11 to [insert popular 'conspiracy' here]:
- listen to the varying positions
- collect data that actually supports each case
- crunch the numbers, and see what makes the most sense, or seems more likely.

Furthermore...

reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I take more a "technician's" view of these matters than a scientist's and when I find some plausible hypothesis will postulate that assumption while adding or subtracting all that is necessary to make it workable hoping it will lead to a usable product. I understand the scientific method is to immediately discard anything that cannot be backed up by empirical data and facts, but I don't work in that environment. I take any two puzzle pieces that seem to fit, try to find others, and begin to make something usable of them. I do this much in the same manner as when in my working days an engineer would bring me a prototype, or at least an idea of something he dreamed up, then begin to test and modify it until it begins to function somewhat as he had in mind. We were quite productive working in that manner.

Same. After receiving my degree I went to work for a F-500 Semicon company as an engineer (New Products), for 14 years, so I imagine we approach things the same way. Thanks for the contribution. *'d

I suppose I felt compelled to share this knowledge, because it's obvious that some people think they are talking to some 27-year-old, pimple faced, social nightmare that lives in his parents' basement, sucking on cheese-whiz, playing xbox, and posting on a conspiracy site.

Surprise, I'm a fully-functioning, well educated, world traveled, extroverted member of society who finds himself in the fortunate position of being able to spend his 'free' time watching, reading, and learning much more than the average person (semi-retired for 3 years).

You wanna disagree with me? Fine. But, understand my beliefs/opinions are well researched and calculated. Has my opinion ever changed on something? Sure. I'm open to new evidence working it's way into an equation. I just want the truth, no matter WHAT it is. Make an argument. (instead of constructing an argument revolving around destroying mine (and, failing), create one that supports yours)
edit on 8/2/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Our accelerated knowledge of ourseleves and our place in this universe [elaboration, here] is forcing us to reclassify much of ancient ‘mythology’ as historical record.

Speaking of mythology (legends, glyphs, etc), check out this thread by sighler:
CHIMERA - Scientists creating human and animal hybrids

We have the science NOW, to create crude versions of many of the hybrid creatures spoken about in ancient scriptures. And, clearly AATers acknowledge that any being capable of mastering genetics (as well as the other sciences) would surely be further advanced in this area, as well.

Just saying, it's entirely possible!
edit on 8/5/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Great thread

I agree with the OP on this one. I am also a subscriber of the Ancient Astronaut theory as well as evolution. Is it just me? I don't see why people tend to choose a side, either god or evolution, why not meet in the middle?

God is "all mighty, creator of the universe... made man in his own image". Is that what god is? My parents were raised Buddhist and ever since I was a child, I saw 'God' as a benevolent God, a universal energy that flows through everything. Fallen angels that fell from the skies and mated with human women? Those gods sound more like promiscuous beings that visited our planet, not gods.

Hate to repeat what the OP has said, but the Ancient Astronaut theory is an actual theory with real physical evidence that is scattered all over the globe. It is unlike any of the mainstream conspiracy theories that hide their sources due to 'anonymity'. We can literally do our own research on the web, or go to the library and pick up a book and read about ancient civilisations, linguistics, mythology, religion, etc. The clues are there, there's nothing top-secret or supernatural about it.

People should really give it a chance before laughing at the title 'Ancient Astronaut' or 'Ancient Alien' hahaha, but I can see how people cannot possibly take it seriously *cough* Giorgio's hair *cough*

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sometimes, a thought pops into your head, and you have to just get it down somewhere - today I had such a thought, and it belongs here (I will be bumping a couple of my old threads with it, to hopefully stir some debate...)

I don't know if I'm prepared to have the 'alien' conversation, but I will say this:

1) I believe humans (our current version of Homo Sapien) has been on the planet, for between 50,000 to 1/4Million years.
2) I believe that at some point in our civilization's past that we have evolved - survived through catastrophe - devolved, and evolved/adapted all over again, many times
3) I believe that some iteration or iterations of our past (that had survived aforementioned 'cycle') developed less and sometimes more in different areas of the sciences

And, I believe a lot of what goes on - and, is called 'conspiracy theory' - is merely a faction of the populace becoming wise to this fact, that those in the know are always trying to 1) prepare for, and 2) conceal this fact from the masses, so that the best efforts can be made to sustain the species. (population control, whether you are talking reduction or physical containment [insert popular NWO theory, here])

Isn't that what it's really all about?   Surviving - and, enjoying the ride, as much as you can while you get there?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I believe, in 100 years the world will look back at the American 'Empire' as a culture that was destined for failure based upon the fact that its citizens were encouraged (and, expected) to create a lifestyle that was way outside its means,... and ultimately collapsed on the weight of its own excessiveness. We're all guilty, we're all a part. We can bitch about the elite and 'job creators' and debt crisis' and whatnot, but the fact is, even as this depression deepens and now 150 Million Americans are supposedly "officially poor", our 1/6th that are confirmed below the 'poverty level' - and, we consider a national crisis - are still living better than 90% of the *world's* population. Sobering to think about.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join