It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please can we have the ignore button back pretty please?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I decided to have a few weeks away from ATS to see if I could cope, and guess what I survived. However, I have returned, mainly because of the news about wiki leaks and I have heard that NASA will be making some important points in a few days. Anyway, to cut a long story short, what on earth is going on with ATS nowadays? I mean come on, take for example the main thread on here at the moment, have you seen the replies? ATS has opened up the floodgates for all and sundry to come in, which is all well and good but boy are the mods going to be busy.

All I ask is for the ignore button to be brought back as I have no wish or desire to converse with anyone that cannot string a sentence together and instead go off topic in a rather childish manner. Please I implore you, give us the ignore button.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Good morning Fran,
What I've been doing is just selecting the (-) on threads,
it removes it completely from my menu,
Nice to see you back.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
(-) The what?... WHERE?

I don't see it.
(My curiosity is strong)

I would still prefer to ignore people though. What can I say... I like to whittle.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
OMG I agree! I have never wanted to use that button more in my life than in the last week...

I never used that button before but lately I could use it

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yeah, after time you've either whittled the forum until some kind of shape takes place or you've whittled it into nothingness, but it's a learning experience none the less. Some wood is better to whittle than others.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The ignore button just reduces my power to bait people that annoy me

I don't know I don't really take the internet seriously enough to have to put anyone on ignore, It's like having an ignore button on your TV that automatically changes channel every time Mel Gibson comes on the screen.
Hmm actually thats not a bad idea

reply to post by ChaosMagician

Don't whittle me Bro!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hey, if you bait people who annoy you... I'd say that's taking it pretty seriously.

And now that I see the (-) I feel silly... or blind. Yeah, blind... that's it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

Well my baiting is about as serious as an angry kitten nibbling at your shoe laces or poking at someone with a damp stick of celery

I honestly can't think of anyone I would put on ignore.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I can think of a number of teenagers that I would love to put on ignore. I tried the (-) thing, but then I seemed to lose other threads that are in those forums, so I added them all back. Thing is, I don't want to have to ignore entire threads just because of a few annoying teens.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Nice to see I am not the only one that wants it. I am not looking to start a big debate or anything like I am merely asking if it can be considered as it appears that due to the influx of new *ahem* members this site is getting on a weekly basis it is getting a little out of hand for the people that want to find credible decent debates and subjects that we can get our teeth in to without the one liners and jokey responses that fill up most of the thread.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Oh Fran, come on. What were you honestly expecting?
Good to have you back by the way.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The ignore option is just a crutch for the weak and a tool for the stubborn who think they know it all and do not want to hear any opposing views. Like sticking your fingers in your ear and humming -- LALALALA, CANT hear you, LALALALA.

Unless you are perfect in all knowledge of everything, there shouldnt be an ignore option. Most people think they are right about things but in reality couldnt be more wrong. Ignoring opposing comments and views is unproductive unless you are a God of perfection or something.

So do we have any Gods among us here who know it all?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

damp stick of celery

So that's what that was!

And yes, I agree, keeping people off ignore is great - but - if you must, there's that (-) sign!

Weeeeee!

peace

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jontap
The ignore option is just a crutch for the weak and a tool for the stubborn who think they know it all and do not want to hear any opposing views. Like sticking your fingers in your ear and humming -- LALALALA, CANT hear you, LALALALA.

Unless you are perfect in all knowledge of everything, there shouldnt be an ignore option. Most people think they are right about things but in reality couldnt be more wrong. Ignoring opposing comments and views is unproductive unless you are a God of perfection or something.

No Jontap,
no gods that I'm aware of,
I'm glad you havent ran into a situation yet though where the ignore button would be handy,
debate is fine, debase is another issue all together,
there have been encounters where the 'posters' have no doubt been 'troubled, or youthful' and only wanted to play with conflict,
That Jontap is not conversation, so yes it comes in handy then.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think not having a ignore button helps the staff out in some small way, instead of ignore use the alert,
Just my 2 cents

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA

Sometimes it's not about being receptive to "information" or whatever you want to call it.
It might be about just not liking other people. Not everyone is going to get along.
It's not like people graduate from message boards with diplomas. I'm sure others don't like me.
That's life. I can't help but to wonder how well they are able to ignore me, if not... I certainly wish they would use the ignore feature if it existed but I'm sure they have other ways of dealing with their problems instead.
It's about choice.
it's about who's really trying to aggravate who.
I don't try to aggravate anyone and when I'm aggravated, instead of dwelling I call it like i see it and try to ignore it because I'm a straight forward person. I'm way too honest and lazy when it comes to internet bizness to make alts.

As for one liners... who needs one liners around here to get a laugh?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jontap

Its not about knowing it all far from it, its about seperating the people that want to discuss serious topics with the people that want to bait and troll and divert the original conversation to something entirely different.

Heres a simple test for you - Pick a thread with over 10 pages say and read the first page of that thread then read the last then look at the people who have been censored by the mods for off topic discussion. Then you will see why I and others it seems are requesting for the ignore button to be reinstated.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
The ignore button just reduces my power to bait people that annoy me

I don't know I don't really take the internet seriously enough to have to put anyone on ignore, It's like having an ignore button on your TV that automatically changes channel every time Mel Gibson comes on the screen.
Hmm actually thats not a bad idea

Thank you
I haven't laughed quite so hard in a long time. Awesome idea!! I think my partner would use that button every time ben affleck was on... she hates his face apparently!

I second the motion.... Would love to see the Ignore buttom back. There are some people on here whom just are out to cause trouble.

As ATS is all about User Generated Content, as a user I should have the ability to tune what content I view and if there are people whom I feel devalue my experience of ATS I should have the right to take them away from my experience.

The best way to do this without ruining everyone else’s experience is to employ the ignore button.

Korg.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I'm all for listening to divergent views--that's why I'm here--but some posters are just
blankety blanks with hateful and ignorant world views.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Personally, I liked the ignore,
tho I used it infrequently it was very helpfull especially on the longer threads.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join