It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish woman claims she owns the sun - and now plans to start charging ALL users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Spanish woman claims she owns the sun - and now plans to start charging ALL users

ww w.dailymail.co.uk

A canny Spanish woman from Galicia - a sun-drenched region on the border with Spain and Portugal - has decided that she owns the star, and has the registration papers to prove it.

Angeles Duran, 49, says that the sun officially belongs to her now, having had the celestial body registered in her name at a local notary office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Angeles Duran, 49, with her notary office document that proves she is the legal owner of the sun

Ms Duran told the online edition of daily El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our solar system.

There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it says nothing about individuals, she added.

'There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law

Ms. Doran now want's to charge everybody who uses Sun

Ms Duran, who lives in the town of Salvaterra do Mino, said she now wants to slap a fee on everyone who uses the sun and give half of the proceeds to the Spanish government - and 20 per cent to the nation's pension fund.

She would dedicate another 10 per cent to research, another 10 per cent to ending world hunger - and would keep the remaining 10 per cent herself.

Is this really plausible or beyond the realms of ridiculous? If she claims Sun as her property can people now sue her for things like Sunburn, heatstroke or sunstroke? How about the property tax which would exceed over quintillion pounds as this tongue and cheek comment puts it eloquently

Dear Ms Duran:
Your property taxes are now past due. Figuring in the age of the sun and calculating a fair-use property tax the governments of the earth have calculated your tax bill:

Please pay the amount of :
12.6 quintillion pounds , due in full by 1st January 2011.
Failure to pay will result in the seizure of said properties,;
Additional fees and costs incurred to collect the monies due may be applied to the total.
- Jim Grant, hell, michigan, usa, 28/11/2010

Can people really claim celestial bodies as their private property or is this just a joke?

ww w.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
haha shes mad

Theres always someone looking for fast easy money. She will get nowhere with this and is really just making a fool of herself.

As she has no authority over anyone....it doesnt matter if she did lay claim to it...its a civil matter and as such she would have a huge amount of problems trying to extort this money from people.

The world is full of morons

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Think I can sue her for the sunburn I got last year?

Its only fair surely

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
A classic example of when a person has way to much time on their hands and the media openly uses such questionable and educated mediums to continue to push the relevance about how really stupid citizens are.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Who has the authority to distribute "ownership" of any such matter? The moon? Nobody owns the moon... it is as much mine as it is anybody's with any document saying otherwise... Nobody owns a star either... Perhaps the person who payed for it will refer to it by the name they gave it... or perhaps if it threatens the earth the name will at least have some popularity... this entire 'claiming the galaxy' , 'land-grab/space-grab' is nothing but used car-salesmen and IQ's just shy of a pencil sharpener.

I suppose this "american" who 'owns the moon' will collect some hefty royalties when/if any of the minerals/resources are extracted?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This stupid B!@+# does not own anything, probably not even her own home. If she does own the sun Im sueing for 15 yrs of sunburn and risk of skin cancer.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sheol

if she really is going to charge for it, then i will gladly cover her expense of keeping it running, and will sue her for any damage that her sun does to my skin.

edit should of read posts first, sorry above post, i hope a 'star' will make things better .

edit on 30-11-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Good for her for showing some initiative.
There is a fair chance some people would probably pay her too, all you need to do is look around to see how thick some people can be.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
That's nice.

She does not own the space-time fabric of the universe through which these photons propagate.
That's all mine. Those dimensions, the 5th, 6th, and part of the 11th are leased by the hour, and daylight rates are a tad higher. Wait til she gets my bill.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
*SNORT* Wait till she starts butting heads with the Big Boys(BP,Chevron,etc...) over things like renewable energy resources (wind,solar,ocean) which, of course, are effected by the sun. THAT should be interesting indeed. I wonder if she'll also have to butt heads at some point with that guy who claims to own the moon, as well?

I don't really think she's serious. I'm sure she's just having a bit of fun. Then again, maybe not...

S&F! Thanks for the chuckle!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Shouldn't this be in the 'Jokes' section

All she's doing really is showing us what the government do, put something on paper and say that's how it is from now on

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Oh, well, I own the space 'her' Sun is floating in, so she must pay me all that money to have her 'sun' parked in my 'space'.

But, her intentions are nobel..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Oh great..... now if I could just get her to turn it down a little, it's getting a little too hot here

I think she's what the French call........ Le Fruitcake
I can just imaging the reading of her Will..... here ya go Kids, your Mother left you a flaming ball of fire...... yay

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
As crazy as this all sounds, similar things have been done before on a corporate level.
I remember seeing an article a year or so back about residents of Colorado (I think) not being allowed, under law, to collect rainwater for their own use. The reason being that a large water corp had laws passed claiming the rainwater run-off as their property. Aparently, collecting the rainwater was theft!

So, crazy claims on natural elements and usage is not unprecedented.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
She might be illustrating an important point.

Who owns our water? Isn't that just as ridiculous?

Isn't it just as ridiculous that so many are so conditioned by the matrix that they believe laying claim to our water is ok? That being forced to pay to use a small part of planet earth to live on is ok?

Who are the idiots?

edit on 30-11-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
yah?

well i just decided that i own the earth. so maybe her and i can make some kind of deal where she pays her rent in sun rays.

how does this keep making the news?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
So then she is to blame for Global Warming?

2nd line.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Original Thread located HERE

Closing Duplicate

Thank you

Semper

top topics

join