It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Eat With Hadrian V - Coconut Pie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You can literally make this pie in less than five minutes! But even if it takes you ten, it's a really small price to pay for the results. With a lot of butter and sugar, it is rich, but it's good and one slice will satisfy you ... at least for several hours ... sometimes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a4235419e2e.jpg[/atsimg]

Just melt the butter in the bowl, then put everything else in there with it, mix well and pour it into one of those pie crusts you buy at the store (that taste just as good, if not better than the real thing ... preservatives, be damned). Go nuts while it's cooking and the smell begins wafting around your abode. Then pull it out, eat and curse yourself for not waiting long enough for it to cool so you wouldn't burn your tongue.

You can also take the pie crusts and cut little pie crusts out of it and line cupcake pans so you easily create little coconut "tarts." Just watch them ... they take less time to cook. But once the top of the little ones (or the big one) is pretty toasted-brown on top and set, they're done. Keep in mind this recipe will "rise" just a little because of the eggs.

You can throw in some chopped pecans (or any other nut you want) as well. Delicious. I also add maybe ½ to 1 teaspoon or so of rum extract. It doesn't make it taste like rum or anything, but, to me, it just gives it a little bit more of an interesting flavor.

This recipe comes from one of my eight Georgian (the state, not the country) aunts. They pretty much know how to make pies down there.

Another aunt has a similar recipe, but calls for ½ teaspoon of vinegar in lieu of the buttermilk. It also calls for an extra ½ cup of sugar. This becomes "French" Coconut Pie. But I would probably not include the extra sugar in the future ... it is possible for things to be too sweet, you know. I imagine, in both cases, the buttermilk/vinegar is for the purpose of cutting the sweetness of the sweetness. But there could easily be more chemistry behind it than what I am aware of.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/753db74ea3ef.jpg[/atsimg]

Coconut Pie

6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup sugar
¼ cup buttermilk
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut
1 9" unbaked pie shell

Combine ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake 30-40 minutes at 350°.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Yum! I know what I'm buying when I go shopping next

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This sounds delicious.

I have an 11 year old who hates coconut. Maybe this recipe will turn her around.

Thank you. I love it.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Just made this pie, Wasted pie shell as I ended up with goopy slop that did not solidify.
2 thumbs down

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by brice

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I typically try to post recipes that are fairly unlikely to not turn out. This particular recipe is one I have been making for more than two decades. In addition, my mother and five or six aunts have been making it for considerably longer than that, and my grandmother before that ... so we're talking since the first half of the twentieth century. And I might also add that I made this during the holidays last year and took to work where people enjoyed it and several asked for the recipe which is not uncommon. I know of one who actually made it and raved about it. So, I am sorry it didn't turn out for you and can't fathom the reason, but please recognize I don't post any ol' crap without thought.

Wish you were a better cook
'cause man, it's good. Could really go for a slice right about now.
edit on Apr 02 2011 by Hadrian because: (no reason given)

edit on Apr 02 2011 by Hadrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Yes it certainly looks good in the pictures, my pie looked just like the picture. It tasted good but it did not set up, just a runny goopy mess! I appreciate that you think I am a poor cook, that would be my first reaction if someone flamed an old family recipe! Unfortunatly your pie still did not turn out as the instructions are about as easy as one could get. If you make this pie following exactly your instructions posted here and not how you would usually make it from memory and it turns out I will give it another try! This recipe posted here did not work as there was too much liquid. Should the eggs have been whipped and not simply just beaten? Did you forget to list a thickening agent, or should it have been cooked longer at lower heat? I live at about 1200ft altitude and never have problems with times or temperatures.
brice

top topics

join