It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain what you think De JaVu is.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
like 12 oz. mouse said "the mind has the ability to time travel"

I don't know what the hell he was talking about though.
I love that series. One of my favorites.

Actually, of all things in this world- the mind is a model that has shown that it can in a sense relive the past very commonly and easily and also see glimpses of the future. Animals have reflexes and even so called dumb animals can sense changes in their environment before they happen. If we were able to time travel then it would make sense that the first ideas (where ever they came from) would be modeled from certain aspects of the mind.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Just yesterday i was with my friends on a boat and i remembered seeing the inside of the boat in a dream.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ^anubis^

I have always been fascinated by De JaVu. Mainly because I used to experience it quite frequently and in a vivid fashion as a child. As I have grown older, the experiences are fewer but are still quite vivid when they do happen. As a side note, has anyone else experienced De JaVu within your De Javu? It is an unusual and facinating feeling.

As for what it is, there are a number of possibilities. As has been stated, it could be due to the non linear nature of time. Another possibility that this thread made me think of is that it is a product of the multiverse. Let us suppose that the multiverse theory is correct for a moment. Then, for every possible decision there is a universe in which that is the choice you made.

Another intersting side note to this is that if you carry this idea out, it means that you are constantly creating universes where your life diverges due to possible choices.

Well, what happens when your decisions lead to a convergence in multiple universes? It is possible that De JaVu is a result of a convergence of choices, where a universe which came into existence due to differing choices converge back into the same moment, conversation, or whatever. Thereby merging universes, if only for a moment. This would provide an explanation as to why De JaVu seems to occur more frequently when you are younger. The various universes are all closer to a common starting point. Anyone who has studied chaos knows that small variances in initial conditions soon lead to large discrepancies in outcome. Therefore, the further you are from your starting point (presumably birth), the less likely there is to be a convergence of events into the exact same moment in multiple universes at once.

Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

I swear, a few months ago while I was fully awake (and not on any drugs!) I had an odd deja vu "vision" (that's the only way I can think of to describe it) unlike anything I've ever experienced, that was triggered by something unknown to me at the time. Now months later, a couple of days ago I actually experienced in "real time" what the original deja vu vision showed me I would, the only weird part is that when the "future" became present it felt like another deja vu.

It can have that recursive feedback experience for sure. We can get into that in more detail if needed, like a reoccurring dream effect. Quite interesting to observe to say the least.

Originally posted by SpaceJ
So I didn't simply experience my vision coming true, I also experienced another deja vu in relation to the incident but in this case it was because I actually DID see it months before. It sounds crazy I know, I'm not one for believing in psychics or visions or whatever. Is there such a sub type that you speak of that sounds like my experience? I was so thrown off by this, I couldn't believe it. I don't know if I'm just going nuts or what. Maybe I should go to sleep.

Because you were awake and had the vision, it would be more deja vu (already-seen) but could also be (deja sentsi) already-sensed.

I think there are ~24 sub-types or categories of deja, I have to look that up not sure off the top of my head.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

You may be right that deja-vu is our subconscious trying to alert our conscious to pay attention. Whenever I feel deja-vu now I stop and look around and try to figure out what I was supposed to learn from this. The frustrating part is that I cant always stop, or when I do I cant for the life of me figure the darn thing out. Its fun trying to mentally wrestle with this though.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

doesn't happen much anymore, but I expecienced deja vu many times when I was a teenager

I always felt that 'I've seen this in a dream' most times that I have had deja vu or I attributed it to a precognitive vision that I just forgot

at this point I don't believe time is linear like we percieve it to be, and that anyone is capable of getting a glimps of the future and past if they know how to focus

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Deja Vu has nothing to do with dreams\dreaming. I don't know why people are associating the two.
If you've ever had true deja vu, it's a mind blower for sure. It is quite literally an overwhelming feeling of having experienced an event before. Absolutely overwhelming. There is typically a feeling of 'strangeness' or 'eeriness' that follows... and, in my opinion, with good reason!

I had a major deja vu event in 3rd grade which I've never forgotten. I was sitting in school. We were preparing to draw in class, and as a teacher told us to open our books and find a picture we liked, it hit me. For appx 30 seconds, I was like: "Oh my God, what is happening??? I have lived this same exact scene before." It was so surreal.
I've had a few other instances when I was younger. I've always been intrigued by it.

Having researched it, I tend to believe the explanation by some neurophysiologists, that it's a memory anomaly which gives a person the impression that a scene\event is being "recalled". Although some researchers say it happens regardless of age, I believe it happens more around ages 8-12, when there's a lot of 'rewiring' taking place in our brains.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I like the theory that time and the universe actually run backwards and we only experience it going forwards in our reality. Our conscious mind just doesn't register this, only our subconscious. So in actual fact we have experienced everything before. Deja Vu is just a glitch in this where our conscious mind for a second 'sees' what has gone on or gets the feeling we have experienced that before, which we actually have. So psychics are people that have conscious minds that are just more attuned to this. Far out!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

That's why my most recent deja vu freaked me out. Up until this one I always had regular deja vu experiences, but this one was like a precognitive thing that I KNEW I saw because I could remember seeing it in almost a daydream months earlier.

Any other deja vu I've ever had, yes it felt familiar, but I "knew" I couldn't possibly have been there before. This was seeing something during the day while sitting actually, so it had nothing to do with a place. A picture just came into my mind and I brushed it off because I didn't even know what it was at the time. Only to months later find myself looking at exactly what I saw in that daydream. Like my brain was predicting what I would see. Now I wonder if this is not important and it indicates that it's where I was supposed to be or go, or if it was just my subconscious seeing "forward" in time. I wonder if this is true, if we possibly have the ability to alter our path after seeing a precognitive vision. Or if seeing it beforehand means it inevitably has to happen because otherwise you wouldn't have "seen" it in the first place.

It reminds me of that article from like last week about research scientists saying that we might all be precognitive on a small level. I read somewhere else that deja vu could be a subset of precognition, only with deja vu you only get your precognitive vision seconds before it really happens, where in full blown precognition you would know with more time in between the event actually occurring.

The physics/time aspect of it seems more believable than some common reincarnation theories. And I really didn't believe in such things until that moment, now I've been researching the topics of deja vu and precognition, but it's hard to sift thru the BS and what's worth something. I was surprised to find so many physicists think that our minds really do have the ability to "time travel" to an extent. Definitely out there.

edit on 11/30/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I like the show Fringe. I wonder if they have it right. It could be a glimpse into an alternate reality. Maybe myself in another dimension was already doing what I'd do in this dimension months later. Maybe they are ahead of us slightly in "time".

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Your right, because I have had many dreams where somebody says a name of something the next day, or just something in general which then brings my dream back I had the previous night in full image and detail. I can then remember exactly what the dream was about.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FPB214

Yep, that's what I mean. It "feels" like deja vu, but in that instant you KNOW you really truly did see that before, it is not just some brain misfiring memory mix up like your average deja vu may be. That's honestly what I now think. I have no other explanation for it, and it only struck me because it felt so very different from any deja vu I'd ever had. There was no questions with this one, I had seen it before one way or the other. I wouldn't be surprised if average deja vu really is a small amount of precognition limited to only occur seconds before the actual event. Makes sense to me.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I have Deja alot and sometimes it is for a very long time like 5 minutes of so. It happened alot more in my 20's but it still happens today and im 36. I have always told myself that it is when your life happens to cross its intended path. kinda like a sign that everthing is going "as planned" Im probably wrong but it does ease the un ease of it all

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
My interpretation of Deja Vu is:

A simple neuroligical disorder within the brain where a memory signal within the brain misfires and is sent twice. Therefore the individual recognizes it as a previous experience. Where in reality, it happened only a millisecond ago.

Swish that reasoning around in your mouth for a little while. Would explain alot.

GASP
Oh my God he's right!

Just sayin'

edit on 30-11-2010 by PreyBird because: Anal Retentive Behavior

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I would say that explaining Deja vu is not possible within the current confines of Science as we currently understand it. "Consciousness" itself is already considered beyond the scope of scientific explanation; Deja vu just adds to that already unknown complexity. All we can do is speculate.

Whatever it actually is, it's a topic that has fascinated humanity for centuries and still appeals to our sense of mystery and wonder. Is it simply the result of improperly stored stimuli reacting with new stimuli that is similar, that triggers incorrect associations between two different events? Is it using segments of Dreams we can recall and complementing these with Real Life experiences, blurring the lines to make sense of our existence? Is it proof that we have had some form of foreknowledge about this life and what will happen? Nobody knows.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

Because there is a specific type or sub-set of déjà vu that specifically mentions dreams, we aren't just making it up. It is called déjà rêvé (already dreamed) as the other poster said. That is how the discussion came to dreams.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColeYounger
Deja Vu has nothing to do with dreams\dreaming. I don't know why people are associating the two.
If you've ever had true deja vu, it's a mind blower for sure. It is quite literally an overwhelming feeling of having experienced an event before. Absolutely overwhelming. There is typically a feeling of 'strangeness' or 'eeriness' that follows... and, in my opinion, with good reason!

Do some research. It has been associated with dreams since it was first coined in 1976, Even the wiki article associates it to dreaming. This is well established in research regarding the déjà phenomena. You are vastly misinformed on the topic to think otherwise. And there are many more "types" of déjà than just "déjà vu".

For example, a very common type not related to dreaming: déjà vécu— implies already lived through, fully experienced or recollected, intense experiential term, but fails because ‘experienced’ here is the sense of fully experienced, recollected, or lived through, which would exclude much déjà vu.

Directly related to dreaming: déjà rêvé already dreamt

Related to "knowing" before the event happens: déjà pressenti already ‘sensed’ (as in ‘knew’ it would happen).

I had a major deja vu event in 3rd grade which I've never forgotten. I was sitting in school. We were preparing to draw in class, and as a teacher told us to open our books and find a picture we liked, it hit me. For appx 30 seconds, I was like: "Oh my God, what is happening??? I have lived this same exact scene before." It was so surreal.
I've had a few other instances when I was younger. I've always been intrigued by it.

It is very intriguing, even if you do not link to a dream memory, the source of the familiarity tends to be the result of a type of amnesia or compartmentalized memory within our unconscious.

Having researched it, I tend to believe the explanation by some neurophysiologists, that it's a memory anomaly which gives a person the impression that a scene\event is being "recalled". Although some researchers say it happens regardless of age, I believe it happens more around ages 8-12, when there's a lot of 'rewiring' taking place in our brains.

For the most part, that is just a theory and is not conclusive, especially since there is ample research and cases where people have other types of deja which step far outside the standard neurological model presented by people such as Banister H, Zangwill OL with their research using hypnosis (1941). "Experimentally induced visual paramnesias". British Journal of Psychology.

Because Temporal Lobe Epilepsy affects memory, lots of TLE sufferers have deja like expeirences and it has also been fallaciously argued that if you have deja vu, you are having a type of TLE, which is not the case. It's just a flawed argument clumping one particular trigger to the topic.

The medical and scientific community has a paranormal-bias well established so associating the deja to something non-linear such as a vision or a dream is scoffed at and automatically rejected thanks to this bias, however as in my previous post there is evidence supporting precognitive dreams in our historic record as well as in modern research. In fact, since 1888 many efforts have been done to validate the existence of precognition and quite often the evidence is rejected over and over again, even when it's there with scientific method. The researchers are simply called frauds and hoaxers and the evidence ignored.

The most modern research into precognition stems from Professor Bern's method which has gained popularity as a concrete evidence of precognition. Eventually it will have acceptance, but the paranormal-bias is quite firmly established to the point of fanaticism.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

It is a mispelling of Déjà vu, a French term meaning "already seen."

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Hey

De javu is a funny little thing. It has baffled me so many times that I can't believe there is a scientific explanation. So many times I've know what there was going to happen.

But I have been told that it's your eye which send the information twice. So you see the thing two times in a split second, and then you ofcourse think that you have seen it before.

But that doesn't give me an answer why I can 'remember' what words there is going to be said.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.

I have Deja vu quite often. The actual feeling that I have been here and done these same things before...then get same sensation about having Deja vu at the time. It is very strong for me when I feel it.

Because of this I have thought quite a bit on what it could be. I have heard/read most of the thoughts posted so far but none of them sit right with me.

Now this is just my own idea of what it COULD be, please feel free to tell me what you think about my theory...

I believe that our souls could be caught in a time loop. That we die and are reborn in the same time, with the same people in our lives (for the most part) and we live that life over and over with free will to make decisions each time to drive the direction our lives go.

Having said that, I think Deja Vu could be us experiencing something that lined up in a previous life cycle and we recognize it and get the sensation.

I know its out there....but it feels right to me. I could explain why I have this theory based on other subject topics, such as why people are "naturals" at certian activities (music) but I will refrain so not to stray away from the topic in the thread.

Be well.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join