It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Benefits of World War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The Benefits of World War

www.jstor.org

War is one of the great agencies by which human progress is effected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
In the beginning man was created and man created war. It is the original human innovation. Man is a creature of conflict and resolution and requires aquisition. The outlet for satisfaction of the need to propogate, proliferate, invent, think critically and conquer is war.
In order to advance, evolve, enlighten...man needs war.
In the name of God, for the good of a supressed population, against terror, the war on crime, the war on drugs, the War of the Roses. So begs the question, "War, what is it good for?"

www.jstor.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-11-2010 by authortobe because: grammar correction

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by authortobe

You have to destroy to rebuild.....................

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'm not too sure that an article from 1891 belongs in breaking news. A more general discussion forum might be more appropriate.

However, to answer your question, my personal opinion is that for most of us -- the "common people" -- war is not good for anything. We are the ones who tend to suffer the greatest losses and have the least control over the course of events. My own maternal grandfather was lost in WW2 and the effects of that loss are still having their repurcussions today.

Mike

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by authortobe

In the beginning man was created and man created war.

Don't animals wage war against each other? For example, a ram challenging another ram to a ram-off about who has bigger horns
. It's a political argument, just in animal term. And they are attacking one another because of it...Sounds like the definition of 'war'... So did man create war, or were we born in a world were we had to constantly be in vigilance?

War was around long before humans.

edit on 29-11-2010 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
reply to post by authortobe

You have to destroy to rebuild.....................

you really dont need to destory to rebuild..its alot easier if you just add onto something insted of destorying it and rebuilding it.
in my mind, your comment just makes no sense

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JayXBraun

We'll if you just add to it, you still have the original problem..

Say your building a house, you want to get everything out of the way that doesn't pertain to house building; the rocks out of the way, the trees, etc.

That's what needs to be done with the world... Maybe not World War, but we definitely need to destroy our current way of doing things..

We have been in a non stop war for 2000 years so maybe one big one will finally teach us a lesson

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Probably should have posted in a general discussion forum. So be it. The discussion ensues regardless.
In my lifetime there has never been peace, I am familiar with the concept, I have peace within. Can human beings live without war? If so what would that world be like? Are we really all so different based on a geograghical location?
A forest requres fire for life. clean up the old and release seeds with intense heat. Is war a natural occurence?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Sure!! We could create more bombs, guns and bullets!! We certainly needs more to boost our economy... and body count.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
We cant help it.. its how we are built. We keep screwing things up and waging war to reset.. over and over.We will never "learn".. it simply isnt our nature. We might control it for periods of time, but it always surfaces. Look around the world in every single culture.. its just us in our natural state. We will continue to do so until a god, alien, something flicks us on the nose.. then we will plot ways to make war with him/her/it/them.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I know it seems bleak, but it takes tragedy to bring people together... I wish there was a way of uniting the world without violence, but that hasn't happened since...... THE LAST WORLD WAR...

If only terrorism worked the way the Government wanted it to, the world would have a clear cut enemy, like the Nazis in WWII, and we could fight together..

That's why i stick behind the notion that the only thing that will bring the world together would be an alien invasion.. People would no longer worry about race, or creed, or class; it would be Human Vs. Alien.. Skin color wouldn't matter as long as you could carry a gun

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There are no benefits to world war. Death, wasted resources, destruction. War is not a business though there are many who feel that it is. Nothing is gained by anyone. Suffering and loss are the trademark of world wars. The scars of the people who survive are engraved for future generations too see. Visit a veteran's hospital if your country has them, casualties of war last a lifetime and beyond.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I know it seems bleak, but it takes tragedy to bring people together... I wish there was a way of uniting the world without violence, but that hasn't happened since...... THE LAST WORLD WAR...

If only terrorism worked the way the Government wanted it to, the world would have a clear cut enemy, like the Nazis in WWII, and we could fight together..

That's why i stick behind the notion that the only thing that will bring the world together would be an alien invasion.. People would no longer worry about race, or creed, or class; it would be Human Vs. Alien.. Skin color wouldn't matter as long as you could carry a gun

SPeaking of bringing people together.. I believe it was Alexander the great who had a real bead on human nature and bringing on people together. In a group of soldiers he would add a soldier or commanding officer everyone hated. The folks would band together and become brothers in hatred of a common enemy! I doubt human nature has changed.... in fact, Im pretty sure it hasnt

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
War is good for nothing. There is no technological advancement or cure, a war has made and will ever make that can replace a living person. Case Closed.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
When will it ever end.

There is never a benefit to war.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by authortobe

In the beginning man was created and man created war.

War did not occur until there was competition for resources and then space, first with other higher mammals, then with the other humanoid branches, and then within the species.

War is a reaction to our acquisitiveness and greed. And to our medical success, surity in reproduction and longevity all play their part.

I don't know whether it is natural to 'war', but if you study children, acquisition is, babies will fight over possessions and have to be taught how to share. Presumably, when we enter into a military institution, those lessons are undone and we are taught that 'Might is Right' instead and that so long as we have more 'fight' we can take what is 'ours' and don't have to share with those that we consider lesser or unworthy.

And of course, man was not created, he evolved. Part of that evolution includes a 'switch' that enables us to kill our own kind if persauded it is 'right' to do so, and to seperate people into friend and foe for the protection of the wider group. But we now, don't need conflict to survive, we need conflict to be supreme controllers...that only benefits an elite and is in the long term detrimental to the whole.

Nothing 'natural' about modern war at least, wouldn't require all the indoctrination otherwise. We know and can recognise our enemies, we shouldn't need to be beaten down by propaganda in order to see them. It is not as though the Muslims are on the way to rape and pillage me because they have used up all their resources and now want mine...not yet anyway...seems more like it is the other way around and because my government says it is okay, my tax contributions go to waging that war...not defending us, but taking from others...

Either way, even if it is 'natural' to wage war, we have also evolved the capability to sit down and rationally discuss matters, and we have the ability to empathise...all natural...all giving us the option to avoid war and suffering and overcome materialism...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by seeyounexttuesday

And that's where TPTB come in..
Divide and Conquer, make us kill ourselves..

well put, btw

edit on 12-12-2010 by squirelnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

reply to post by seeyounexttuesday

And that's where TPTB come in..
Divide and Conquer, make us kill ourselves..

ONLY if we continue to let them and continue to ascribe to the religion of consumerism. If we could once again realised the power of the union, that by witholding our labour, by keeping our 'Brass in Pocket' we can change the world...sigh...but here, I preach to the converted, I need to dust off my soapbox and take to the streets...

TPTB only have powers because we give it to them with our apathy and our need to be told what to do and our desire to have shinier things than the next person, or just so that we know we are not quite at the bottom and their is still someone left for us to # on.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
There is not a damn thing good about war... Only fools and idiots think war is a good thing... Nothing ever could or can justify the killing of another human being.

new topics

top topics

join