It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

107 year old woman -- her secrets to longevity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Original source Washington Post

Betsy Stanford of Washington DC is about to turn 107 years old. The Jamaican native was born in 1903, same year as the Wright brothers first flight, and has witnessed it all since then.

Check out her diet....eat anything and everything.

What I found most interesting was her 'smoothie' of Guiness stout, Ensure, vanilla extract and nutmeg!

I think I may have found my new beverage of choice!
edit on 29-11-2010 by youdidntseeme because: spelling as usual

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Bunk reasoning.

It's a combination of genetics and environmental factors.

What works well for her could cause you to croak at age 50.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Thats exactly the point.
What works for me and my health could be toxic to you.
Obviously this woman has alot that has worked for her and her health.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Yep. I stick to what's generally thought of as being healthy for the majority. Things like green/white tea, and a low sugar diet. Besides that, it's only common sense things like no GM foods and no microwaving. I still smoke that icky from time to time and what not.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Woah 107 years old is a great achievement. I'm not sure if I'd want to be here that long though.
It surprises me how much she still remembers, she would have seen a lot change in her time. My Great Grandmother is 98 this year and shes still going strong.

It's sad though because she suffers from dementia so she doesn't really talk, or remember any of her family. Some days she'll talk, some day's she'll just steer at you. Wish she still remembered everything, would be an interesting talk.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Haha! Very interesting article! The Guinness smoothie really cracked me up! I live in Florida, so I'm familiar with a lot of old people, and I actually think that a toddy a day isn't a bad thing for most people. A lot of the really old ones that I know have been following this practice for years. It keeps the blood flowing. One of my mom's friends, who just passed away last year at the ripe old age of 102 drank a beer a day. Even when she went into the hospital her doctor would make sure she got it! I know that's partly because he didn't want her body to go into shock or DT's from not having it, but it did work for her. And, yeah, everyone is different, but I think if you keep it all in moderation, then go for it! For me that goes for butter, real milk, and sugar as well. I don't believe in the fake stuff.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GetRadNZ

Yes, the fact that she has an excellent memory and can do lightning quick calculations in her head is very telling. There's a positive correlation between intelligence and general health. She just happened to win the lottery.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. My grandmother on my mothers side suffers from Alzheimer's. There's a nutrient which seems to treat and prevent dementia. It's simply a high dose of niacin. You may want to look into this. Here, I'll pull up an article. Sec.

This is just an easy search of "dementia niacin" from google. Check out some of the results for more info.

Google Search
edit on 29-11-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

My grandmother didnt live nearly as long as this but she was crazy with math too. I think alot of that has to do with the generation. Too often the younger generations are becoming reliant on technology to do their thinking for them. Every single post I type out I curse myself for being reliant on spellcheck and the 'autofix' function that will simply change 'teh' to 'the' without me even noticing.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

In part yes, but certainly not in full. I went to school in the 80's-90's, and was noticeably quicker than my peers with calculations. I had a fascination with numbers and abstract mathematical concepts from the get-go.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I am the same boat as you (80's-90's schooling) and calculations were always easy for me, I just chalked it up to my grandmother's influence on me.

The rest of the math though, I stopped after algebra.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Oh I wasn't aware of this. Cheers for the link.
I think she also suffers from Alzheimers which has caused mass memory loss. But the Dementia pretty much turns her into a vegetable. It's sad when I remember the days when I used to stay at her house, and go shopping with her. Now she doesn't know who I am.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Yeah, I was 99th percentile in mathematics and sciences each year on standardized tests, but never made it past algebra 2 because I was so upset with the school structure, so ended up getting my GED. It was incredibly boring and terribly inefficient in my mind.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
We need to grow up as humans, this internal squabbling on earth must stop.
Truth is a nessicity. If you cant handle the het.. get out of the kitchen,,,

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I remember seeing a segment on one of the primetime "news" programs (20/20, Dateline...) years ago where they had interviewed a large number of octagenarians to find what commonalities they had.

I remember diet and exercise NOT being one of them. What I remember being important was the ability to deal with loss and having purpose, in whatever form it takes. There were others but I don't remember.

I have no doubt that diet and exercise can prolong your life but, if you don't enjoy some of those things that might shorten it (in moderation) have you really lived?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

I recently had a conversation with a woman who is quite a few years older than myself (I am 31) and she asked me how long I wanted to live. My response was at least to 100 years and she couldnt believe it.

The story of this 107 year old is precisely why. She was born the same year that the Wright Brothers made their first flight. In just the realm of flight she has witnessed Lindbergh, Earhart, WWI, WWII, the invention of jet flight, rocketry, the first orbital craft, the moon landings, the list goes on...

If I live to be 107 years old, that will be the year 2086...think of what technology we will see by that year...if my children live to be 107 years old, it will be the 22nd century.

To me age is an accomplishment, you become living history

new topics

top topics

join