It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Their, There, and They're and other misused words - mistakes like these make you look illiterate!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
no offense to OP, but to me about the most childish thing one can do on the internet is criticize ones grammar

not to say we should all be mumbling cavemen/woman that can't portray an idea

but it takes away from the subject at hand, are we here to see who was better at proofreading grammar or are we here to exchanges ideas thoughts and opinions etc.

....the need for a rant well I can totally understand that

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Well, really not a rant..

Aw crap, the h3ll it's not.

Of all the people who profess to have professional knowledge of differing subjects, a huge number INSTANTLY blow their credibility when they misuse Their, There and They're , and other words and contractions.

...emphasis mine...

...yanno, the same could be said of those who spell hell as h3ll and capitalize words that should not be capitalized and misuse commas...

...i used to post with this gal who thought commas were used to indicate when she took a breath and the number of commas in a sequence indicated how long her inhale/exhale took... so, her posts looked like this here (below)...

Of all the people,,,,,,,,,, who profess to have,,,, professional knowledge,,,,,, of differing subjects,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a huge number,,,,, instantly,,,, blow their credibility,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when they misuse,,,,, yada, yada, yada,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, blah, blah blah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, blah,,, blah,,,, blah blah.

...when she explained why she used commas that way, i wondered if she had emphysema, lol... funniest thang, she claimed to have a 4yr college education in primary education...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Whey stop at ATS Rants? Whye not join youtube , myspace , facebook, google and become a grammer police? youu can inviate all your friefnds and family to come along and watch u grammERE police the internet?

I m SoRRRyy If I caant spellss

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I don't know if I can say I am on the same boat, but sometimes it does get a bit annoying, I really don't mind, it's just one of those things, where it just slightly bothers me. No big deal really, since I make many typographical errors, and sometimes I do spell words wrong and every now and then I make some of the similar mistakes.

I think it's most bothersome when someone composes an almost poetic string of words, perfectly constructed reading material, then you begin to see the same mis-use of a word lol

It's can be a bit bothersome, but no big deal, we are all human and bound to make mistakes.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
They're, they're now, OP. Its not that bad. Don't let it effect you so much. Two many people worry about grammacological errors when their are all ready two many other issues in the world twoday too concentrate on. Just try being quite and let buy gones be buy gones.

Sorry, just having a bit of fun. These types of errors drive me nuts, too, but I understand that written English is not everyone's forte.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I do agree with the OP here.. writing "there" instead of "they're" or "their" DOES make one look "illiterate".

Especially when one is making a serious post. It annoys me sometimes too but I got used to it by now

Other words that are usually spelled wrong : grammer » grammar, moran » moron ( always gets me LOL) , and of course too - two - to

And another thing .. If you use Firefox , it has got a built in spell checker .. USE IT ! support.mozilla.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by all answers exist
no offense to OP, but to me about the most childish thing one can do on the internet is criticize ones grammar

not to say we should all be mumbling cavemen/woman that can't portray an idea

but it takes away from the subject at hand, are we here to see who was better at proofreading grammar or are we here to exchanges ideas thoughts and opinions etc.

....the need for a rant well I can totally understand that

No offense taken, but if someone sounds like a idiot, it takes away from the message.

And I wasn't speaking of just ATS posts. Someone writing a US Senator, or a cover letter for their resume, might get tossed aside if they sound illiterate.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I don't really care about others' grammar. Sure, I would prefer we all had perfect grammar and spelling, but hey, I make mistakes sometimes, and I'm TRYING to do it right.

I did learn something about when to use "who" and "whom".

If the answer to the question is "him", use "whom". If the answer to the question is "he" use "who".

For example:
Whom do you love? (I love HIM) 'Who do you love' is incorrect.
Who is knocking at the door? (HE is knocking at the door)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

I only get calls from the local blood bank - I'm a rare type, and lack certain factors that make my blood good for premie babies - lack of certain childhood diseases.

I can give to anyone, but I can't receive but from a select other type with out a severe allergic reaction.

Nothing on the flue shot deal.

Either way, I am not getting that flue shot - my blood helps babies just as it is.

How are your FLUE shot worries working out

edit on 29-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Lug

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't really care about others' grammar. Sure, I would prefer we all had perfect grammar and spelling, but hey, I make mistakes sometimes, and I'm TRYING to do it right.

I'm trying to do it right all the time too, but their, they're and there bother me too. Think how messed up it would be if someone wrote- look over their, there stealing your car and taking it over their?

Confusing.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well, it's a good thing you didn't come across that poster who, in full view of everyone, wrote this:
For all intent and porpoise
and then went on with his post, as if it was really spelled that way.
I shudder to think of your reaction to such an injury to the English language.

Me? I LOL'ed.

Seriously, though. Other people's typos don't bother me at all. I just correct them in my mind's eye as I go along. Mine, on the other hand... I hate spotting one after the edit window has closed. The effect is akin to bird poo on a pristine, freshly washed sheet flapping in the wind.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
'zactly: My pet peeves: "Marshal law" Get your rifles patriots there bringin in marshal law. Well buford you go on ahead maybe I'll sit this one out...
How can anyone believe or follow someone with a 6th grade command of the language????

i.e.
Martial : having to do with the military:
"Martial" music; "Martial arts; courts martial: MarshallDilllon never declared martial law comprende?

your you're

"You're": a contraction of "you are". Your : implies ownership you must've lost "your" dictionary

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeanvaljean
For all intent and porpoise

The most creative way I've seen that one is "For all intensive purposes".

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The most creative way I've seen that one is "For all intensive purposes".

um...thanks..

I just learned something very valuable here. You see, that's what I thought it was..seriously..

I am ignorant in many things, but you have just helped me become less ignorant..

OP...glad you wrote this thread as I love learning the "tricks" as to how words are used..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
You see, that's what I thought it was..seriously..

Well, that's good.
I recently learned about the 'whom' thing AND about 'beck and call'. I thought it was 'beckon call'.
Silly words.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I recently learned about the 'whom' thing AND about 'beck and call'. I thought it was 'beckon call'.
Silly words.

again...um...thanks..

I always thought it was beckon call as well. I think it is hearing the words and misinterpreting them as one does with song lyrics.

I am starting to feel however, that I have a few more to learn. As a matter of fact, I don't even mind being corrected as long as it's done in a kind way as I will remember and won't be so embarrassed the next time..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

in that instance I 100% agree, the real world and trying to represent yourself in it is much different then just stating something online, often quickly, I suspect that is why most errors are made and ignored

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My boyfriend once told me that he "can't stand un-literate people."

I didn't bother to correct him.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

LOL. I bet he stands at your beck and call though. Seriously though, on a board like this it seems less important. I will grant the importance of grammar, and spelling along with choosing the right words to begin with when writing an important missive.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
i like it when people misspell grammar when insulting other peoples use of it.
i'm past caring anymore, although i can be as literate as i want, on the internet, the shift key is too much of an effort.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join