It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the most realistic CGI you've ever seen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is amazing. You literally cant trust your eyes anymore...
www.newscientist.com...
Used off the shelf software???

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Im impressed
thats very good work espically for off the shelf product . Good find. Yea dun beleive your eyes anymore lol . We have been waiting long time till that fine line comes but now it looks like only a few meters left before you cant tel the differnce.

Alex Roman, the graphic designer who created the ad, dismisses suspicions that the shots aren't pure computer-generated imagery: "Yep, it's all CG. I tried to put some live-footage shots but I ran out of time so CGI did the trick."

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

"is this the most realistic CGI you've ever seen?"

HELL YEAH IT IS!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
That's really impressive work. Scary impressive in fact.
Check out these photographs.

They're actually paintings by an artist named Pedro Campos, who is a part of a new art movement called Hyper-realism. Kind of makes you wonder "why not just take a picture?"
The art is so good that it actually takes away from the "art".

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

that's pretty good.
I wonder if the News likes using this kinda tech.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I work with CGI almost every day except I don't do animation. As for the most "realistic CGI", I don't think so, merely because CG occurs in more instances than people even begin to recognize. Animating a scene with flying fruit isn't the same as animating an entire movie with realistic CG characters and environments. Don't get me wrong this video is still very impressive and Roman did an amazing job, especially considering he did it himself. However I don't think it would be fair to label it "most realistic CGI". Awesome ad though! Has a real artistic flare to it.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Just goes to show what we can do these days. The BEST TOPIC TODAY!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Well that depends. Are you talking about. "Most realistic CGI film under 10 minutes..." or "Most realistic CGI picture?" theres a complete diference in the two.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
To me this guy is one of the best.

He has some amazing stuff.

Here is his youtube channel for more of his stuff.
edit on 29-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
reply to post by Demetre

"is this the most realistic CGI you've ever seen?"

HELL YEAH IT IS!

hell yes is right on. a time will coem when we really can't believe our eyes.

a scary time that will be imo.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
hmm most of these scenes in the movie would be cheaper with real stuff...or?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
That is insane CGI!

I need to get software like that! I could make myself look more endowed in my pics!

(Wait, did I type that or think it?)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire

They're actually paintings by an artist named Pedro Campos, who is a part of a new art movement called Hyper-realism. Kind of makes you wonder "why not just take a picture?"
The art is so good that it actually takes away from the "art".

Part of art is the process in the creation. To paint something that hyper realistic takes practice and skill. Instead of some cubist abstractness that the artist has to B.S. about his intentions of how it's the artistic interpretation and what it means he give you 'it'. To paint without revealing a single brush stroke takes a steady hand and patience. Take a look at the titles on the books. Impressive. The Jelly beans? Just wow.
The only loss is the loss on the viewer of the viewers imagination. Take a look at a Van Gogh or a Matisse. You have to stare at it to figure what it is. You have to interpret. Take a look at the Renaissance paintings. Yes they are up there on realism but there is a story. Non the less his works can stand in the Moma in NY along the other works there.

As for the CGI- Only a trained eye could tell it's CGI. There are a few tell tales in the reflections off of some of the objects BUT they are incredibly hard to notice unless you know to look for them. Every model in the scene is perfect. The fruits are all easy to mistake for real as well as the crystals in the beginning. Even the particles when the objects break are hyper real. Did you notice the smoke/dust cloud when the crystals break? Impressive

Only when the blinds open right before the wide shots at 0:47 can I find a fault. They are to synchronized. They open all at the same speed at the same time. No shame though it's like I'm trying to find faults...wait a minute I am.
edit on 29-11-2010 by js331975 because: added more thoughts

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Dragonball Evolution, Avatar the last airbender - heck, all the movies based on anime or novels should be done this way. It would be perfect, and there would be no costume or casting problems. Plus and most importantly no storyline problems either.

I mean really, the dragonball movie was really messed up.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

You can, I think he may have used 3d's Max and 3d's Max design but it is expensive just to get one of them, wish I had $7000 plus tax laying around somewhere.

Plus $35000 for my hardware specifications.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Whereas most studios would need a team of people to accomplish such a project, Roman is "a master of all disciplines", Kneale says. "Normally for that kind of quality you would need a team 10 times that size."

He's takin our jobs!
Seriously couldn't he give someone a bone and employ a secretary or something.

Isn't this the same guy that made the other CGI movie that keeps popping up around here? the third and the seventh I believe its called

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Why are they smashing so much fruit??
I would have eaten it, even if its not real!
edit on 29-11-2010 by tooo many pills because: eaten

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by js331975

You're preaching to the choir. I've been "making a living as an artist" for well over a decade now, and have studied art my whole life. I don't really see a market for hyper real artwork, but then again I feel no passion towards a blue line on a white canvas.
Art should carry with it an inherent openness to interpretation. It should never be what it is for the sake of being what it is.

However, that being said, hyper realism in CGI is a great way to make a living. Its usable and in its own way helps create illusion, not destroy it. The artist behind that video is going to have a great career in his future (if he isn't there already).

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

There is as much a market in hyper-realism as there is in photography. And I hear after 9/11, the photo market has been bustling quite much.

top topics

join