It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freezing Federal Worker's salaries doesn't solve the real issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Which are poor workers and waste.

I come from a family of gov't workers who all have been in the private sector before and who all work their butt off. They come home every day talking about people they work with who sleep at their desk or do nothing, people who would be fired in DAYS in the private sector. But they are not fired from the gov't because they can't/don't want to for bureaucratic reasons or just don't really care.

And the other issue, waste, is that they might get a bit more funding then they need, but they need to spend all their money otherwise whatever is left is deductive from next year's budget. So they give bonuses, which can be nice, but then they buy stuff they don't really need. This is just a stupid policy. How about keeping the same budget for next year, but putting the extra money back into the system to either be given as a tax return or given to another gov't organization that needs it? I know it's not that simple, but if it wasn't that bureaucratic, it could be done.

What we need is a reformation of the federal gov't, not freezing salaries. All that would do is lower morale than it already is.

I hope this doesn't get moved to the rant section. Excuse me, I'm just a bit ticked over the announcement that Obama will be freezing federal worker's salaries. He certainly won't be getting my family's or my vote in 2012.

Link:
news.yahoo.com...

This would be a good thread to discuss your opinion on this issue.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Freezing only serves to legitimize the bloated wasteful waste that needs to be eliminated. By 'freezing' we are essentilly saying that what they are doing now is worthwhile. This is Barry's way of slipping this past us when we're not looking, and it stinks to high heaven. He has to know that our economy can't support this massive increase in federal overhead. He's trying to break the system by design. This guy is rotten to the core.
edit on 29-11-2010 by dillweed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
Freezing only serves to legitimize the bloated wasteful waste that needs to be eliminated.

I guess so. It's frustrating when people work their butt off, and a couple people are lazy idiots and the lazy people screw it up for everyone.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

it's true, there's far too much bureacracy to handle with the Federal government. That is the reason why most things simply don't get done. Paperwork, endless paperwork, and it can distract from projects and overall goalsof the agency. I am not impressed with Obama AT ALL, especially with this proposed move. I agree with the OP, we definitely need a complete reformation of how the government works, to make it easier for agencies to work together, transfer funds, employees, property, ownerships, without having to spend months, years, or decades filling out the paperwork.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
the 2 points of the article which stood out to me was the fact that Federal Employees making over
$150,000. has doubled since Obama took office
~paybacks to the personnel who voted for him - or just the out-of-control Union requirements ~ ??

2nd:

"The White House estimates that the freeze, which does not affect military personnel, will save $2 billion for the remainder of the 2011 fiscal year, $28 billion over the next five years and more than $60 billion over the next 10 years."

the ' 2 year freeze' ....cannot possible cut $28BN over 5 years= or $60BN over 10 years...

the freeze is only in effect for FY 2011 & FY 2012... which will ammount to less than $11BN total
this is rubbish reporting

thanks OP for giving us an example of MSM fluff

edit on 29-11-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Wow, i didn't even see that typo until you pointed it out!

I'm not quite sure about my numbers, but i can say that my father has been with the gov't for more than 20 years, with his current organization for about 7 years. He's only recently gone over $100,000 for a salary. Full time worker btw. He does budgets. My mom just entered from the private sector and makes a lot less. So, i'm not sure where that $150,000 number is coming from.
edit on 29-11-2010 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
In our military we used to have Senior Enlisted to keep the Officers from doing stupid things....force them to follow the book. Notice all the stories about our Navy firing lots of submarine and ships Commanding Officers?

Due to the cuts there's no old man keeping the college kids in charge....in check.

Our Federal Government used to have Civil Service as well to keep the military in check. DOD did away with them and created the "NSPS" personnel system. Now these Civil Servants HAVE TO be "yes men" and do whatever these young college kids demand...or they are fired. No longer do they have any appeal rights as the old Federal Civil Servants had. They have no rights to "whistle blow" as well. If you don't make your young officer boss happy he can cut your pay 10% per year...or fire you on the spot.

Our economic failure is creating more failure. The Wage Grade Civil Servants (blue collar laborers) have almost all been replaced by contracted labor. Write the IRS and ask for a copy of last years income tax return. Your letter will come from Puerto Rico. Cheaper laborers there.

We are looking down the barrel of failure. They are trying to prop up the dollar so a few people on top can still live the American Dream. The number gets smaller and smaller every year.

Ronald Reagan ended the good ole Federal Civil Service retirement program. The Post-Reagan Civil Service Retirement program is called "FERS". It consists of 3 parts, your Social Security is now part of your retirement...plus you have to save your own money and put it into the TSP (thrift savings plan)....and you will get a tiny annuity from the Federal Government....but you must pay into that every pay day as well.

The Thrift Savings Program is contracted out to banks to manage the funds our military and Federal workers put into there. The Contracted Bank is Barclays. Barclays went tits up and had to be bailed out by some middle eastern man. The $200 Billion our Federal Workers/Military had in there dropped when the stock market tanked. They haven't publicly stated how much is in those funds now....I bet near nothing.

Not even in the Great Depression did our Federal workers in the Post Office get canned. Notice how many posts offices around America have been closed? How many of them have been canned??

Our monetary problem is far worse than the Great Depression. The stories of Federal workers being well off should be left to the history books. The few Federal Employees we have now must do many, many jobs other than the 1 they signed up for. They are getting HOSED. Trust me, you don't want to be in the Federal Service now. In the 1980's and prior it was the place to be...not now.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
how about freezing congress' pay...
Funny the ONLY times the Federal workers salaries are frozen is when a DEMOCRAT was in office...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
how about freezing congress' pay...
Funny the ONLY times the Federal workers salaries are frozen is when a DEMOCRAT was in office...

Dude, i totally agree about freezing Congress's salary. You know what? They're all rich, why not just pay them a subpar salary or nothing at all? But actually from what i was reading, Republicans were calling for this a lot more than Demorcrats

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
reply to post by St Udio

Wow, i didn't even see that typo until you pointed it out!

I'm not quite sure about my numbers, but i can say that my father has been with the gov't for more than 20 years, with his current organization for about 7 years. He's only recently gone over $100,000 for a salary. Full time worker btw. He does budgets. My mom just entered from the private sector and makes a lot less. So, i'm not sure where that $150,000 number is coming from.
edit on 29-11-2010 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

well, the number of Staff making $150,000. compensation is not the 1st time i heard about them doubling,
but as you point out... just where is this fact coming from? is it the bureau of labor stastics? or maybe the
Federal workers union? or is this just hearsay that is being bleated out by whomever the info suits.

Its not hard to hit that legendary glass-ceiling even in Govt Service -jobs....

its like the difference between Field-Grade Officers in the Military... 20 years & one might remain a Major,
but the upper-echelon Officers can zip through to Full Colonel in under 15 yrs, with a good chance of
making the General Grade in their next 5 years....
there's just too many factors involved, and most factors don't rely on IQ, or Ability...

alot of your examples situation might be that He has reached his ceiling on time-in-service and position,
the only way up woukld be a horizontal move, into a compartment that has more higher positions available based on merit and not favoritism or 'appointment' as a reward for a campaign contribution...

best to you all this coming holiday season

top topics

join