It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the Declaration of Independence mean to you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It affirms my right to live as I see fit. It removes the threat of others for me to be kept a vassal or animal by them .

Spot on Seagull.

As a vet, I swore to "Uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic" and not a particular government, a president or a congress.

The intent of the signers of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution was to provide for a government "Of the people, for the people, and by the people" of this union, the United States.

United STATES. States folks, United - not some Federalized monster.

Forget Kent State; it was a bunch of ill trained guardsmen spooked by a weatherman provocation that made them fire.

If you want to see a mutiny, just order regular troops and sailors to fire on US citizens.

As seagull said - it is a shining beacon.

We must oppose those who would limit our freedoms.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

Ever since England came back in 1812 and burned D.C. we have had a farce of what it was based on and now it's a dirty thing and will most likely get you beaten,..if you say "I know my Rights."
I agree it means nothing,...and if you ask a teen or even some of your friends they say "I don't know."
It's almost like when christians say they believe in jesus and can't quote one thing he said.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Opposition to those that wouild limit our freedoms is what the Decleration is. You want to limit my freedom so I declare my independence from you. I will choose my destiny, I do not want "assistance" and am opposed to the non voluntary funding of assistance to those satisfied with wallowing in the gains of the labor of others. A free man is not forced into citizenship. A free man does not require documentation to provide for himself and his family. A free man chooses representation of his community and holds that representation accountable. I am able to best decide what is right for me. I am a man like any other man as any other man is a man like me. Government in and of its self is oppresive. Give me liberty or give me death.

I am from the government and I am here to help....

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Originally posted by 46ACE
Who can argue with declaring all men equal??

...thats not the issue... the issue is that their declaration that all men are equal was a false premise... those called "the founding fathers" did NOT believe all men were equal... just all white men...

Originally posted by 46ACE
The finest ideas of men are enshrined in these documents the principles are as valid today as in the 1770's!

...no... the documents are flowery bs contrived by empowered white males who owned slaves and/or approved of genocide and the forced assimilation or imprisonment of the indigenous population - and - they had no problem with religious persecution as long as they were doing the persecuting...

...worship them all you want... perpetuate the lies told to justify their inhumanity... thats your call entirely... just as its my call to see them for what they really were - liars with no integrity...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
You refer to the men, the founders, they were vessels just as the authors of other documents inspired by divinity. They are not to be worshipped or held above any other man. The ideology of the Decleration is what is inspired. It is this moment in history that began the change in humanity. Up to this point slavery and religious persecution had existed for thousands of years. These men were chosen, how they lived is of no consequence, since that document was delivered to a man that was a king slavery was abolished, you are free to choose any religion or no religion, inalienable rights, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Yes, the history of man is tarnished with atrocities and hypocrisy but the words remain the same....All men are created equal.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by authortobe
The ideology of the Decleration is what is inspired.

...decleration?... not only is your freudian slip showin, its holey...

Originally posted by authortobe
These men were chosen, how they lived is of no consequence,

...how a person behaves in their private life does indeed matter - because - it shows who they truly are - and - that is most certainly applicable to people who hold political power...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I have been hesitant in responding to this thread, as I find myself trying to find the right words to convey my thoughts on this.

What I find amazing about this document (and yes, it IS an amazing document) is the shear scope that they gave the People. Now true, as some have said, of the people that wrote this document, several owned slaves. We must remember though that at that time, it was legal to do so. It also shows the timelessness of the document, as the Founders were so forward-thinking that they could even see past their own personal fauxpas. They knew that we'd eventually move past the need to own people, and come to a better understanding. It makes the document that much richer when read in context to the time it was being written in as well as to the people that wrote it.

I feel an innate desire to uphold the DoI, as it's the Charter of Freedom that I hold closest. The reason I feel this way is because it establishes what we already know; that we're all born equal, and should always remain that way. It also commanded the People to stand in protest, and even in violent overthrow, should their government "become destructive of it's ends". The rules are quite explicit and succinct. There's really no squabbling over what the steps are to exact change in our government. The thing is though that some in lofty positions would have us think otherwise, all the while claiming to be supporting the very documents that tell us to do so!! It just reminds me that those that have been placed in charge of our lawmaking have gone far afield of where they should be.

What should be done about it? Well, short of ousting them all, the only thing I can think of would be a three-step program:

1) To eliminate the whole monetary "political contributions" practice. This is what they now call "lobbying", but I refer to as bribing. If anyone has any qualms with my calling it this, I challenge you to view this link, and select your non-representing representative, and take a good long look at who pays them for what, and how much they paid. When you finish doing that, it should be plainly obvious to anyone viewing it that we are no longer represented by anyone with a genuine interest in seeing our issues addressed.

2) Eliminate the Fed. For too long, they have had control over our finances, and it's obvious, to me anyway, that they seem to have forgotten how to make money, while making everyone happy.

and

3) Eliminate the Electoral College. There was a time and a place for such a thing; a time when it wasn't easy to get large numbers of people together to hold an accurate vote. That time is now behind us. Lets utilize the amendment process to amend the Constitution to omit that portion of the Legislative Article.

If these three steps are taken, I can almost assure that the ability to influence politics will become a LOT more difficult. Politics should be a task that no one wants to do, but all are called to, at one time or another...

Independently Independent,
TheBorg
edit on 1-12-2010 by TheBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
A wishful dream, That's all it means to me anymore

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

Nothing more?

Dreams are everything. Anything worth striving for begins as a dream... The very dream spoken of so eloquently in the Declaration of Independance resulted in the founding of a nation. Yes, the dream has become a bit tarnished, even tattered in places, but still worthy of striving for.

If we give up on the dream, what's left? Sheer unadulterated drudgery. Slaving to what purpose? Just to get up and do it again the next day?

Dreams are what make us greet the day with determination. To better our lot in life. Get that education. Even go to Hawaii next fall. Dreams are what make us who and what we are.

Dreams have led people to do incredible things, both for good and for ill. Never underestimate the power of a dream.

Martin Luther King, Jr. believed in the power of a dream.

I Have A Dream.

It was a dream he was willing to face incredible dangers to achieve.

The Declaration of Independance was a dream of freedom given form on parchment. Expressed in words so profound that they reach out to us even today two plus centuries later. Words so powerful, that they continue to inspire people throughout the world.

Dreams? We should all dream so magnificently.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I like these documents most because the philosophy of conceiving them was drawn directly from the Bible and drafted up not very long after the first Bible was printed in the commoners language.

as others have posted already, I have no need to reword.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join