It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aging Ills Reversed in Mice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Aging Ills Reversed in Mice

online.wsj.com

Scientists have partially reversed age-related degeneration in mice, an achievement that suggests a new approach for tackling similar disorders in people.
"These mice were equivalent to 80-year-old humans and were about to pass away," says Ronald DePinho, co-author of the paper and a scientist at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. After the experiment, "they were the physiological equivalent of young adults."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
So here we go again... in the great quest for immortally man has created Frankenmouse...

Don't get me wrong here... there are a lot health concerns that come with aging... problems that I would prefer not to burden my family with... But when it comes to extending age indefinitely I for one would not be getting in that line..

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I don't mind dying, or getting older, but I think it would be nice to look young and pretty when I do. Is there something wrong with that? Because I kinda feel like there is...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
im 40, and i work out every day. but MAN do i wish i could not get injured like i was 20 again. when i was 18-20, i never got hurt in the gym. now there is a new injury every other week it seems.

and im just a regular joe. for athletes, it would be incredible. if you like pro sports, it would mean years added to an athlete's career.

talk about expansion. if this ever came out, they could double or triple the size of pro leagues.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The problem with this is it would be for the elites only. Of course science is progressing and other races in this Universe have solved this.

I am all for solving this, and for a Venus Project where it benefits all and everyone, and for populations to start to be reduced to allow for longevity by screening and volunteering, but I'm not for elites running things, but counsels of highly educated citizens, jury duty out of a highly educated, comsic level people.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
double post error.
edit on 29-11-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by leira7

In my mind I'm still as damn good looking as I was when I was 20
In my mind I'm still as healthy as I was when I was 16.

Should be a law against people over 40 to own mirrors

Look as I said I don't mind being old... better still if we didn't have things like alzheimer and parkinson's to deal with... But I do have issues with extending ones life just to do it...At least in my cas,e I pass

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm 25 but my fiancee's father is a 50 year old natural body builder who benches 390lbs and looks incredible for his age, he puts men half his age and younger to shame including me! and i train 5 days a week!

He works to stay young and I'm going to follow that example instead of taking daily or weekly injections to retain my youth, that way when asked i can say "I did it myyy wayyyyyyy"

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
While I'd love someone's sweet dear old grandmother to be given this, it will never happen. Instead, it will be given to the elite, someone who just needs to freaking die already, and they will be given this to continue their evil for generations to come.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
at this point we'd probably need to find more planets to colonize in.

hooray for un-aging humans all over the universe!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Best news I heard in the last like 20 years. Well done science...now lets get some treatments going

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'll stick to my green tea for now, and wait for all the bizarre repercussions to show up in the coming years. Maybe in another decade or so after the kinks are worked out and we have a 5 year trial without any major complications I'll be game. As for now, I really think stuff like this is opening up Pandora's box. Pretty much think we're foolish idiots for messing with this stuff.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My only concern with this sort of research , is that rather than just buying some ancient mouse that some one was gonna have put down over an age related health concern, they engineered some mice to effectively die young. In short , they fiddled the result and pointlessly condemned some poor mammal to a needless quickstep into geriatric obscurity !
The control group of mice must have copped it I reckon. Which again is pointless since the only way to discover if these mice would have been better off in a real situation, if given this treatment, is to let the poor little things age naturaly ! Bloody impatient scientists !!! In thier eagerness to get a result, they have made utterly moot the results they ended up attaining, meaning as they do, precisely NOTHING in the grand scheme of things.
When science developes a retroactive treatment for parkinsons, Alzhiemers, age related deafness, blindness, heart failiure, musle atrophy , osteoperosis (spelling?) and "that funny ache I get when its going to rain" THEN thats a result. Bioengineering mice so that they get old in no time at all is going to give an utterly skewed result, and means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Its nonsense. There are people on this planet who could really benifit from , if not extended life, then at least the effects of having these age related diseases which debilitate them for the last two decades of thier lives undone, their bones made strong, their minds sharpened, eyes cleared and ears re honed... you cant prove the research that will solve those problems, by engineering the control group !!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by platipus

The only ones who should have this potential treatment should be those going off-world. They would need it .

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Originally posted by platipus

The only ones who should have this potential treatment should be those going off-world. They would need it .

Erm...no?

the ones who should have this potential treatment of youth should be all of humanity to enjoy long healthy lives, no longer burdening the system with retirement ages, medical bills, and no longer contributing to the continued growth of civilization.

I defend strongly the rights of our seniors in society to live honorably and respected...and the only thing that tops that would be to reverse the ageing so they no longer are seen as "different" from society...and I imagine most seniors would rather have their 20 year old body back than a social security check at the end of the month, even if it meant getting back to a 9-5 job...actually, especially if it meant they could get back to a 9-5

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
one minor issue.

What happens when top management doesn't retire at 62, but instead, keeps their jobs for a few hundred years...

progression up the corporate chain will be one of the few valid concerns in a capitalist society.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
one minor issue.

What happens when top management doesn't retire at 62, but instead, keeps their jobs for a few hundred years...

progression up the corporate chain will be one of the few valid concerns in a capitalist society.

That and the little thing called resource depletion. Just another minor blip in your utopia.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by SaturnFX
one minor issue.

That and the little thing called resource depletion. Just another minor blip in your utopia.

What resource are you talking about in specific?

Add:
We as a civilization can have limitless personal energy right now with solar panels
We as a civilization can make food without adding any more farms into the equasion to feed the planet 5 times the size as it is now
We as a civilization could all fit into a state the size of texas, each of us owning a house and a yard
We as a civilization have plastics and materials that can be used to create housing without effecting the environment.

how long we live, and how many of us are on this planet is not a concern...what -is- a concern is how resources are used, withheld, hoarded, wasted, and otherwise mismanaged by the very few people in charge of the worlds resources. This will have to change for a serious population boom to be sustained...however, I would suggest that this world, if done wisely, could easily hold a population twenty times the current size without even considering eyeing space...

Overpopulation is a myth, however, resource management corruption, greed, and ultimately corporate destructive patterns is not.
edit on 29-11-2010 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well, when I say resource depletion, I mean it like how people speak about "peak oil". What I mean is that demand outstrips supplies to such a degree that the resource can no longer be carried traded and transported in the global market. This would include most resources sometime this century. Specifics? Let's just go with clean water, oil, & arable land for the moment.

Oh my, just saw your nonsensical edit. I'll reply in specific when I get the chance.
edit on 29-11-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well, when I say resource depletion, I mean it like how people speak about "peak oil". What I mean is that demand outstrips supplies to such a degree that the resource can no longer be carried traded and transported in the global market. This would include most resources sometime this century. Specifics? Let's just go with clean water, oil, & arable land for the moment.

Oil: The faster we get rid of this oil nonsense, the better...algae factories can compensate for any peak oil we would need in a solar and alternate fuel society...once we stop being slaves to this false resource, then the only thing oil will be truely needed for would be lubrication, plastics, cosmetics, etc...again, all of which can be produced not by just the mucky crap we dig from the ground, but a hundred other sources.

Water: Clean water falls down on most of the world often..a simple filtration system would sort that out nicely..there is plenty of clean water and its easy enough to clean it even if its raw sewage...again we are to the issue of mismanagment and hoarding...

Land: 36,794,240,000 acres of land on the world if we doubled the number of people on earth today, everyone would have 2 acres to play with. the average nice house in america sits on a 1/4th acre of land...and most people enjoy living in cities...

then we can consider colonization of the ocean...creating oceanic cities...suddenly that number goes through the roof as to how many people we can support considering 80% of the earth is ocean...

the resource discussion is proveably false..it is a scam set up by industry to do less work and charge more for their products because of a pretend lack. People generally buy it and governments like to push that thinking to keep a strong industry..but the truth is, of course, its an illusion...

This will cause a incredible shift in how we live on earth...but that will come in the form of removing the illusion of corporate knowledge being the truth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join