It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming.. Global cooling... Pole shift?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Here in the uk we are experiencing the coldest November on record with freezing temperatures and snow across most of the country..
But scientists claim this is proof of global warming. They said shrinking artic ice warms low levels of air, causing unusual extremes in the airstream.
Researcher Vladimir petoukhov said it could triple the chance of icy winters, adding severe winters don't conflict with global warming but suppliment it.
Mr petoukhovs report revealed the global yearly death toll from weather related disasters doubled this year to 21,000.
The met office and NASA say 2010 will be one of the hottest years on record. NASA said it could be equal to the hottest year 1998..

So what is really going on with our weather? What scientists say seem to contradict themselves all the time... The planet is cooling, the planet is warming.. What is the real story here? I don't buy the fact that the little carbon humans produce is enough to cause such dramatic changes in such a short time.. Could it possibly be something else, influencing this.. Something in our solar system? Could it even be that the poles are shifting? Or maybe even weather warfare designed to disable certain countries?
Just wondered what others thought about this?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think there is some truth to Global warmingb but that we as humans have little effect on it. Research shows that Global warming/cooling has happend many times before, the weather here is being really odd lately though, i heard they got temps of -18C far up north which sounds absaloutly insane considering we arnt really into winter yet!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stimmy

And I bet them girls up in Newcastle are still walking around semi naked ! Lol... Yeah, the weather here has been really bizarre, and if it's anything like last year, were in for some cold times ahead!! But doesn't make sense if the planet was warming, why are we having colder winters than ever before?
edit on 29-11-2010 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Man caused climate change is a hoax. Just google climategate. Here is a quote and a couple links to get you started. One important thing to consider is that a single volcanic eruption causes more pollution than mankind's entire contribution in the last century.

Perhaps the most damning admission is that given the decline of global temperatures along with the rise of CO2 for the last 12 years, they don’t know what’s driving global temperatures. In an October 14, 2009 e-mail from Kevin Trenberth, a principle author of official papers:

How come you do not agree with a statement that says we are no where close to knowing where energy is going or whether clouds are changing to make the planet brighter. We are not close to balancing the energy budget. The fact that we can not account for what is happening in the climate system makes any consideration of geoengineering quite hopeless as we will never be able to tell if it is successful or not! It is a travesty!

www.verumserum.com...

scienceandpublicpolicy.org...

SO2 effects Earth's surface temperature Global cooling and ozone depletion

Measurements from recent eruptions such as Mount St. Helens, Washington (1980), El Chichon, Mexico (1982), and Mount Pinatubo, Philippines (1991), clearly show the importance of sulfur aerosols in modifying climate, warming the stratosphere, and cooling the troposphere. Research has also shown that the liquid drops of sulfuric acid promote the destruction of the Earth's ozone layer.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Also consider that many of these same climatologists were predicting the next iceage 30 years ago

1975 Newsweek article

An April 28, 1975 article in Newsweek magazine was titled [25] "The Cooling World", it pointed to "ominous signs that the Earth's weather patterns have begun to change" and pointed to "a drop of half a degree [Fahrenheit] in average ground temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere between 1945 and 1968." The article claimed "The evidence in support of these predictions [of global cooling] has now begun to accumulate so massively that meteorologists are hard-pressed to keep up with it." The Newsweek article did not state the cause of cooling; it stated that "what causes the onset of major and minor ice ages remains a mystery" and cited the NAS conclusion that "not only are the basic scientific questions largely unanswered, but in many cases we do not yet know enough to pose the key questions."

The article mentioned the alternative solutions of "melting the Arctic ice cap by covering it with black soot or diverting Arctic rivers" but conceded these were not feasible. The Newsweek article concluded by criticizing government leaders: "But the scientists see few signs that government leaders anywhere are even prepared to take the simple measures of stockpiling food or of introducing the variables of climatic uncertainty into economic projections of future food supplies...The longer the planners (politicians) delay, the more difficult will they find it to cope with climatic change once the results become grim reality." The article emphasized sensational and largely unsourced consequences - "resulting famines could be catastrophic", "drought and desolation," "the most devastating outbreak of tornadoes ever recorded", "droughts, floods, extended dry spells, long freezes, delayed monsoons," "impossible for starving peoples to migrate," "the present decline has taken the planet about a sixth of the way toward the Ice Age."[25]

On October 23, 2006, Newsweek issued a correction, over 31 years after the original article, stating that it had been "so spectacularly wrong about the near-term future" (though editor Jerry Adler claimed that 'the story wasn't "wrong" in the journalistic sense of "inaccurate."').

So are we to spend trillions of dollars, put millions more people out of work and further devastate our economy when they are likely wrong again? Assuming honest error and not something more nefarious.

According to NOAA data for the first 7 months of 2008, the AVERAGE GLOBAL TEMPERATURE IS LOWER than the average from 2000 thru 2007 by an amount equal to 13.5% of the total linearized increase during the 20th century. Since 2000, the CARBON DIOXIDE LEVEL HAS INCREASED by 13.6% of the total increase since the start of the Industrial Revolution.

So if CO2 is up, but temps are down, what does that say about their theory?

We have not even considered solar activity and the fact that temps are rising on both Mars and Venus. Is this also our fault(tongue firmly in cheek
)?

edit on 29-11-2010 by sonofliberty1776 because: left of a "[/url]"

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well in 10 plus years in the high desert of California, I've never seen my cottonwood trees still holding green leaves on Nov. 29th! These leaves would usually be yellow and piled high in my yard a month ago! This for me is the first real sign of changing times. The trees don't lie.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think that global warming is real (I mean, *something* is melting all that ice), but I don't really think that humans have that much of an effect on it. As far as the weather goes, chaos theory seems to be the way of the truth, and you can only be so accurate in your predictions when you're dealing with something like that.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I believe natural cycles are occurring between the sun and planets in our solar system. IMO. Humans haven't been around for long, so we are limited to scientific methods and speculation. Nobody really knows for sure how the earth changes over extremely long periods of time.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Someone just left a link in one of my threads that explains pretty well why you can see dramatic cooling effects in places like Britain, while overall global warming continues to chug right along. What the scientists say in fact completely adds up rather than contradicts itself:
Abrupt Climate Change: Should We Be Worried?

Also see this thread:
Warmer polar temps lead to colder, nastier winters

In the meantime take note that a pole shift would just be a magnetic thing, not a physical one.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Out of all theory what the cause might be for climate change, I'm starting to believe they are all right, in a way. Small bits being part of the larger phenomena.
The weather sure has been a little odd lately, nothing alarming yet, though, but enough to consider having a survival-skill update

Guess it's wait and see.

new topics

top topics

join