It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks - Vice President caught with 321 million in cash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Wikileaks : Vice President caught with 321 million in cash

translate.google.com

A WikiLeaks document reveals that the former Afghan Vice President Ahmad Zia Massoud was taken with 321 million in the United Arab Emirates. This may have consequences for Norwegian development assistance.

Massoud was vice president until November 2009. The Wikileaks document as the New York Times published on Sunday evening, shows that he was stopped in the United Arab Emirates with 321 million in cash last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29-11-2010 by Vicodin because: oO

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This is just sick!

It is an insane amount. If this is correct, it will be difficult to defend that Norway will continue to transfer substantial sums to cover the running costs of the incumbent Afghan government.

When individual members of government are taken with such amounts, Norway is facing a fundamental dilemma.

The Norwegian government is going to have to get to the bottom of this matter. 321 million is so much money that this matter can be a ground shot to the entire international operation to help Afghanistan.

translate.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

Quite a bit of walking around money

1 million dollars in $100 notes weights approx. 22 lbs

$ 321 million would be difficult to conceal ........ to say the least.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Wow, I'm looking for the article, but I just read yesterday that it was somewhere around 52million cash found on him by the DEA and indeed no questions were asked on origins or destination. It was in one of the wikileak sections on guardian uk.

Still way too much

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This is equivalent to Half of that Norway gave Afghanistan in aid last year

What the F* are wrong here?

So the the President and the Vice gets 50 / 50 each ?? ...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
reply to post by Vicodin

Who's saying it wasn't in a car?

Anyway, this is a huge amount to take.... i wonder why some Country's offer to help others out when leaders of those Country's are scamming everything given to them.... enough corrupt leaders in this World doing this type of thing and they wonder why the average Joe also submits to such behaviour

Yeh, many people in need of cash and homes and you have Government Leaders/Politicians scamming all the cash.... not to mention Charities, Corporate Bankers and the like....

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicodin

In the 70's when I lived Jakarta, my dad came home bustin' mad that the oil
company he worked for made him deliver a million US dollars in payroll
to Kalimantan (Borneo). It was in a cardboard box wrapped in duct tape
with an address label on it.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Found it

52 Million Cash, No questions asked

Suspicions of corruption in the Afghan government, with one cable alleging that vice-president Zia Massoud was carrying $52m in cash when he was stopped during a visit to the United Arab Emirates. Massoud denies taking money out of Afghanistan.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

Thanks for link

52 million dollar = 321 million Kroner (Norwegian Money)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
S&F for you my man, I myself dont have enough time to spit trough all these documents, so i will be doing a lot of reading here on ATS when i get back home, i still wonder what is up with the releases. I've read comments of peoples saying it would be as much as 2.8 million documents going to be released, now only 250k have been, so i wonder where the rest of the 2.55 million is staying..

And hopefully this time we can find something revolutionairy in all these documents, i think we could use a good swing to get a revolution started..
But on the other hand i will not be surprised if nothing actually happens, like the other releases earlier with Wikileaks that where so Hyped...

Regards..
edit on 29/11/2010 by Bauwser because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

Doh! I didnt think to check currency
S&F your welcome

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicodin

My thoughts exactly.

Seems like a pretty fishy story.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
How do we know that the "321 million in cash" is in $US?
There is no currency unit mentioned.

I'm not trying to be smart here, just wondering.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

heh , thats a load of cash when the president of afganistan only has 30k worth of assets and cash to his name,

hmmm hmmm , how could this have happened...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This is not good for Hamid Karzai or his cabinet. In fact, this story is rather old. It was brought up months ago, and about massive amounts of cash being flown out of Afghanistan for Dubai. At the time, observers were unclear if the money was from narcotics sales or being diverted from reconstruction money?

Officials puzzle over millions of dollars leaving Afghanistan by plane for Dubai

A blizzard of bank notes is flying out of Afghanistan -- often in full view of customs officers at the Kabul airport -- as part of a cash exodus that is confounding U.S. officials and raising concerns about the money's origin.

There is definitely tomfoolery taking place in Afghanistan by government officials, like in Iraq earlier. The country is notorious for corruption, and as far as I am concerned it has become a money pit. Money is being wasted, and that is unacceptable, especially during a global recession. At least with this latest release, we can put a name to some of the corruption taking place in Karzai's camp. However, it seems corruption is ingrained in how governance takes place in Afghanistan, and there is probably little the US or its partners can do to address the matter.
edit on 29-11-2010 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Dang....from the title, I thought it was Biden.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
$100 million U.S. is the size of a standard pallet.
$52 million would still be difficult to fit in the trunk of a limo.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
$100 million U.S. is the size of a standard pallet.
$52 million would still be difficult to fit in the trunk of a limo.

No-one's suggesting this was in the trunk of a limo.

Could have been in the hold of a plane.
Could have been a convoy of trucks.

I once saw a site showing how large various huge amounts of cash would be.
Anyone know where to find it?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Ok, I did some checking.
Seems 52 million in $100 bills wouldn't take up as much space as I thought.

What does one million dollars look like?
If you are talking stack of $100 bills then each stack is $10,000 and you would have 100 stacks.
Each $100 stack would be about 4x6x1/2 inches and weight about 3.5 ounces.
So 100 $10,000 stacks would weight about 22 pounds also it would have a volume of about 1 cubic foot.
So you could totally stuff it into a medium size suitcase or a large duffel bag or even a book bag.

1 million dollars in 100 dollar bills.
Question: A million dollars is 10,000 one hundred dollar bills and weighs about 22 pounds. How much space does it take up? Can it fit in a regular size briefcase?

Answer: The size in volume of a standard $100 bill is .069 cubic inches (source www.mathforum.org) 10,000 of these would be 690 cubic inches. My briefcase is 16 x 14 x 4 or 832 cubic inches. The answer would be yes, it would fit.

How much room or space does a billion dollars take up.?
The largest bill in circulation today is the $100 bill. A billion dollars in $100 bills would occupy 398.8 cubic feet.
This would occupy a cube of dimensions 7.36 feet on each side.

Right, so this 52 million $US would fit into a cube less than 4' x 4' x 4'. packaged into boxes, it should just about fill the 4 foot cube.

Not such a lot after all. A little trailer could carry it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Maybe it was Afghan money ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join