It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Snowfall, 2010 Winter, Jupiter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
*Edit* Title is supposed to read "UK Snowfall". Apologies for the mistake.

Is it possible for Jupiter to have any effect on the weather here on Earth?

I read some time ago on that Jupiter was the closest its been since 1963, and the winter of 1962/63 (at least here in the UK) is regarded was one of the worst for some time.

Last year we worse snowfall than usual, and all year they've been saying this winter shall be much worse. Its not even december yet and we've already had a lot of snow here and its forcast for some time yet.

Could there be anything in this, or just merely coincidences?
edit on 29/11/2010 by lezvigi because: Connection problem.

edit on 29/11/2010 by lezvigi because: Title mistake

edit on 11/29/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Ok so jupiter can have an indirect effect on earth but not a direct one; it has an effect by affecting the magnetic field of our planet. look here:

answers.yahoo.com...

And in turn the magnetic field changes can affect the weather:

www.viewzone.com...

Conclusion: yes Jupiter could make it cold in England.

Cant you change the title to UK, to sort the thread out?

edit on 29-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: addition/spelling

edit on 29-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

Brilliant, thanks for the links (2nd one in particular).

Would be interesting to know if anybody else has thought of this or any research on it or matters relating.

Regarding the title, I would change it if I could figure out how to do so.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I can remember when I was a kid in the 60's, my mum opened the front door one morning to let us out to go to school and snow had drifted all the way up the front of the house and we had to tunnel our way out. And we walked to school in 2-3 feet of snow. We kids loved it and were so excited.

What peeves me is that nowdays we get a couple of inches of snow and parts of the UK come to a virtual standstill. My sister just called me to say her 6 year old twins are off school today because the teachers havent turned up due to the bad snow on the roads.
Parents managed to get to the school with their kids, but had to take them home again which meant many people couldnt go to work.

I'm puzzled because the roads here (Nottingham) arent really bad at all. I work 6 nights every week driving for a living and I was out last night doing my job, so why on earth cant the teachers turn up for their job???

Bone idle, that's why.

A question for ATS members located in the world other than in the UK: Do school teachers in other countries get paid days off in order to do their Christmas shopping?
They do here in the UK.

A tiny bit of snow and UK schools are always the first to close down.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I do not know about teachers getting paid for Christmas shopping. But I do know here in the southern US (esp. Alabama) that if the forecast calls for snow, just about everything shuts down. People will run to the store to buy milk and bread. It cracks me up.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Here in central Canada, teachers do not get paid days off for Christmas shopping and it would take quite a bit of snow (2ft+) before schools would close...they might not run the school buses, but the school would still be open...and no I don't live in an igloo, I am not all that far North of North Dakota.

Have a great day, eh?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by lezvigi
*Edit* Title is supposed to read "UK Snowfall". Apologies for the mistake.

I read some time ago on that Jupiter was the closest its been since 1963, and the winter of 1962/63 (at least here in the UK) is regarded was one of the worst for some time.

Could there be anything in this, or just merely coincidences?

Actually had the thought of a possible correlation when reading the same somwhere, some time ago, but my research led me nowhere, and didn't have enough posts to start a thread

Glad to find some answers and thanks for the info

As for the local weather here in southern Finland, it's as close to a cold day in hell you get. Nothing extreme (10-25 below zero C), but it's a bit early, and it came a bit too fast...
Last winter was hardcore, epic snowfall, extremely cold, extremely perfect winter. Then came the tropical summer, hottest in over 70 years('ish), perfect. Then autumn..very wet, very typical.
Then a couple of warm, sunny days..and BANG..into soul freezing winter over literally a weekend!
Certanly hasn't happened before in my 28 years here.

Could be Jupiter..the gulf stream, cyclical, man-made..I just don't know.

Guess we just have to take it and make it

Stay warm!

top topics

join