It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antartica, 1939 - 1941

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Beautiful footage of a journey to Antarctica uploaded by PublicResourceOrg. If you have the time to watch this antique footage, you should.

ARC Identifier 37262 / Local Identifier 126.1. On Adm. Byrd's Antarctic expedition, 1939-1941.

Reel 1, a snowmobile is loaded on the North Star at Boston. Men are initiated at the Equator. The ship anchors at Pitcairn Island, natives row to the ship with fresh food, and a party visits the island. The ship sails past volcanic peaks on the island.

Reel 2, the Bear passes through ice floes. Shows whales, seals, and penguins. A snowmobile, a Condor seaplane, and other supplies are unloaded at Little America.

Reel 3, the Bear moves past icebergs off Palmer Peninsula. A Barkley-Grow seaplane is unloaded and takes off. Penguins play on the ice. Seals and penguins are captured and taken aboard.

Reel 4, the Bear rounds Cape Horn. Shows men chopping seal meat, feeding dogs, and making skis and sleds. A Condor seaplane takes off. Seals, penguins, and snow petrels are shown. Shows panoramic shots of a camp near the Rockefeller Mountains.

Reel 5, supplies, including a Barkley-Grow seaplane, are loaded on the North Star. A seal is lassoed and penguins are fed.

Department of the Interior. Office of Territories. (07/28/1950 - 07/01/1971) Made possible by a donation from Public.Resource.Org.

I hope you enjoy this film as much as I did. I found it while researching Admiral Byrd. Enjoy!

ETA: Hard Link in case they disable the video here. You may want to open in another window. It's an hour and ten minutes long.
edit on 28-11-2010 by SunshineLaws because: explained in post content

edit on 29-11-2010 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps from title

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Hey. Thanks a lot for posting this. I love seeing footage of Antarctica!
Some nice color shots and overall it's a very interesting document about the expedition.

join