It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Taliban Call a Time-Out

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

The Taliban Call a Time-Out

www.newsweek.com

For months, NEWSWEEK has reported emphatic denials by senior Afghan Taliban officials that they were engaged in secret peace talks with the government in Kabul. Those denials received further weight last week when The New York Times exposed a purported top-level Taliban negotiator as an impostor who made off with large sums of U.S. cash.

The commanders informed Zakir that they and their men were temporarily suspending combat operations and asked that he either transfer them to less hotly contested areas or let them recover in Pakistan until the spring thaw. “We have lost many friends and
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The military should keep up the pressure by attacking in Pakistan with drone attacks before they can recover to launch attacks early next year. Winters are times of rest and recovering from their losses. Perfect time to reach out in villages that are controlled by the Taliban to remove their influence. As well as take on any leftover Taliban fighters still in Afghanistan while the rest are resting in Pakistan.

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
The military should keep up the pressure by attacking in Pakistan with drone attacks before they can recover to launch attacks early next year.

...or we can just withdraw.

I like my option better. Saves money and the lives of our soldiers. Sounds like a win-win to me!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Drone attacks in villages will inevitably kill innocent people and fuel hatred and attacks against Americans. Seems like a bad idea to me.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN

The military should keep up the pressure by attacking in Pakistan with drone attacks before they can recover to launch attacks early next year.

I like my option better. Saves money and the lives of our soldiers. Sounds like a win-win to me!

I totally agree! Withdraw, withdraw, and bring the money and the soldiers back to US! We are wasting time and money on leaders/imposters that can't be trusted!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

S & F

So much for the near mythical Taliban having the upper hand.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

S & F

So much for the near mythical Taliban having the upper hand.

What are you saying?

Pakistan in Afghanistan all along?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This is the Taliban buying time! They just want to read WikiLeaks!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Secularist

Lol

That's probably the first time I've ever written it after actually laughing out loud.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I prefer the former... Your solution leaves the enemy alive...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Why aren't you there killing your "enemy" then?

Too week to fight your own battles?

Or do you use the word "enemy" very loosely?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Or maybe we should just drop a big bomb on them.

We're already killing civilians, wouldn't it be more cost efficient to use 4 or 5 WMD's rather then millions of bullets? Either way, there will be massive civilian casualties. It would be more humane to die with instant vaporization, then to suffer from bullet wounds.

We've already put ourselves on the chopping board because of this war. If we pull out now without a win, we'll end up just like the Soviets ended up 2 years after they left Afghanistan. We just need someone who has the cajones to do it. Frankly speaking..
edit on 28-11-2010 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I bet if I asked why the pro-war people on this thread - WHY the Afghans are their enemy, i'd get the tired, repetitive and rather dry rhetoric, as opposed to any sensible answer.

But i'll ask anyway.

Deltaboy, Hunka hunka

What have the Afghan people ever done to you?

(Oh and provide some proof)

Cheers

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I bet if I asked why the pro-war people on this thread - WHY the Afghans are their enemy, i'd get the tired, repetitive and rather dry rhetoric, as opposed to any sensible answer.

But i'll ask anyway.

Deltaboy, Hunka hunka

Cheers

If I were to walk through Afghanistan's tribal regions, I would surely be captured and held for ransom. They would look at me as a piece of meat in order to get one of their own back, a bargaining chip. I do not appreciate being treated like a piece of meat. So, our soldiers are there restoring the old Roman way of living. And in the process of restoring a 'democratic looking' country, you know, with paved roads and houses.. Or atleast that is the story.

Or maybe we are just there for the metals...But you cannot deny that Afghanistan has seen a lot of civil war prior to the Afghanistan invasion, I don't expect the civilian populace liked that very much.. Maybe we can come in there and make some stability. We can industrialize Afghanistan, put up brand new factories, pouring in jobs for Afghani's and ultimately making Afghanistan a economic power. Sure they won't get most of the profits, probably not even 50%, but even 25% would be like gold for Afghanistan's poor economy.

All for the greater good.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BiGGz

But that's not an answer.

You've just told me that IF you went there (which i'm assuming you never will) you'd be held hostage and treated like meat.

BUT

Then you also talk about converting them to your way of thinking, whilst exploiting their resources and abusing their stock of minerals.

That still doesn't explain why they are your enemy.

I mean for gods sake, there's places in Liverpool or Manchester i wouldn't want to visit on a dark night, it doesn't mean i should wage a war against scousers does it?

Someone please give me a decent answer.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius

Why aren't you there killing your "enemy" then?

Too week to fight your own battles?

Or do you use the word "enemy" very loosely?

Do you realize how much money i pay in taxes every year, and how much of that goes to DOD?

I spend a LOT of money fighting the war in Afghanistan....

And I want a return on my investment dammit!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Why are the Afghan people your enemies Hunka Hunka?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
"“The commanders told Zakir they were angry about all these rumors they hear about peace talks,” the official says. “They made it clear they just want a rest, not peace. They are still committed to the fight.”"

When US commanders ask for troop R&R or rotate troops home.. "time out"? . lol.. if so, US forces have taken dozens of more time outs than the Afghanis.. lmao

Calling them an "enemy" is so silly.. they're not my enemy.. we share a common foe: the nefarious "PTB" / DC mafia et al. As far as I can tell Afghanis are fighting to be free from republicans, democrats, CIA and the rest of the federal reserves TPTB lackeys.. the same things many Americans are just about literally "up in arms" over.

Is being under TPTB control "freedom"?.. lol.. would any of you freely allow the GOP & DNC / Fed Reserve to take over your country if you were free from them?.. hell no?, or F no?.. lol

At least they have the BALLS to take up arms against "TPTB".. all most of you people do is urinate & moan and bark about needed change, then go vote GOP or DNC like a good lemming expecting it to matter... these folks are rejecting TPTB with bite.. some of you haters should be LEARNING from these warriors, they could teach the average sheep a thing or 2 about intestinal fortitude, sacrifice and character.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Why are the Afghan people your enemies Hunka Hunka?

They are not, the Taliban is

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

But i'll ask anyway.

Deltaboy, Hunka hunka

Cheers

This war is not against the Afghan people. This war was against the (then) Government of Afghanistan, the Taliban...who incidentally were terrorizing the Afghan people in their attempt to instill a brutal and bloody form of extreme Islam...who were hosting another extreme crew of Islamists known as Al Qaeda, which decided to fly airplanes into large buildings in America.

They played with the bull...and guess what...they got the horns. The Taliban was quickly routed, and then the Allies set about rebuilding the country and helping to set up a less insane form of Government (still a work in process, obviously).

But, of course, the Taliban has crept back and continued to take potshots at the Allied troops...when they aren't overly busy murdering more of their own citizens. We have fought back against this insurgency, taking every conceivable and practical precaution in trying to avoid hurting (or killing certainly) innocent Afghans.

My point of view is that the Afghan people are not our enemy. The Taliban, Al Qaeda and other extreme Islamic groups inside and outside of Afghanistan are our enemies.

This my point of view, my opinion if you like. I do not personally subscribe to any of the various conspiracy theories about who was behind 9/11. I think Al Qaeda did it. I think the Taliban was ether in league with them...or at least should have extradited Bin Laden when they had the chance (I believe their call for "proof" was a ruse). So, I won't be wasting my time trading endless opposing web-links on this one.

The West does not consider the Afghan people as its enemies...or the Iraqi people, or the Iranian people, etc. Certain extremist muslims believe that the people of the west are their enemies, and have declared war on us and our way of life. They were itching for a fight for a long time - and they got one.

If the Taliban simply slithered back into the holes where they belong, nobody would be getting killed by anybody. They were forced out of Afghanistan and resurfaced in Pakistan...guess who is behind most of the ethnic killing in that Country now? And most of the killing of civilians going on back in Afghanistan too.

Maybe you should be asking why the Taliban and Al Qaeda consider the Afghan people the enemy?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join