It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garbage Dump Found In Quabbin Reservoir

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Hope this is not a repeat thread.

This is a topic that happened a few years back but which I doubt was posted here on ATS.

Several years ago divers found a capped garbage dump under Massachusetts' Quabbin Reservoir, the largest body of water in the Commonwealth, supplying Boston and the surrounding area with drinking water. The dump was apparently overlooked when the Swift River Valley was flooded because it was capped, so nobody realized it was there.

This past summer the water supply was threatened by the breaching of water mains, meanwhile people were instructed to boil water to remove harmful bacteria and pathogens. Though it turns out, the whole time they were drinking debris from a 19th century landfill.

Funny thing is, nobody even realizes this.

It's just another story that was never told.

www.wgby.org...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WashingtonGrewHemp

At least it's a 19th century dump, not that it's good news but it's not filled with 'modern' garbage.

My city, in it's wisdom, built a dump on a flood plain a few hundred yards from the river itself. It's been closed for a several years now, but it boggles the mind how stupid people can be.

I know members of the local HazMat team, it's funny, they have been called out in full gear several times over the last couple years and yet there has never been a story in the local media.

I guess now that the area is being developed as a park and river trail system they don't want to concern people over something as frivolous as unidentified toxic seepage.

edit on 28-11-2010 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The Quabbin is surprisingly full of wildlife like otters and beaver.
I guess old garbage is safe garbage, thank God.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

At least mostly safe. I've heard that trees are dying around the reservoir, on Prescott Peninsula probably. The state does forestry research there. Nobody is allowed onto Prescott Peninsula except people with a key to the gates who are DCR or have permission to use the radio telescope. Any damage caused by the capped garbage dump under the reservoir seems to be minimal though, so that is good for sure. I think it might be the biggest wildlife area in the state, which is strange because it's a man-made reservoir. All the animals who lived in the Swift River Valley lost their homes too. Hopefully there is a good outcome for all...

top topics

join