It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you an optimist or a pessimist? Why?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Brilliant post. I agree 100% with your assessment of the political situation we've seen develop since the GOP rebranded itself as the Tea Party, and hoodwinked the general population. My politics-inflicted pain began in the spring of 2003, when I realized that the tough Iraq invasion talk wasn't talk, and that those idiots were actually going to occupy a country that couldn't even put a fighter jet into the air, and that the entire nation actually believed that the invasion was due to a building threat from that country. Since then, it's been a complete nightmare of carefully developing official insanity. I also thought that Obama's election indicated that the spell had finally been lifted, but then the bizarre Tea Party thing got launched, and we're right back to the madness again.

Recently, I've discovered that we are not the finished products that we think we are. Meaning that what we experience in this life is important, but it's no more than part of what it takes for each of us to successfully craft our permanent selves. Sadly, most people are crafting some seriously twisted permanent selves, and while this can cause those of us who are affected by the maliciousness of these people, in the end, they'll be the ones who suffer with what they've created of themselves. I'd rather be abused by them than to be them. That much I know for sure. If those folks knew what they're prepping for themselves, they'd be in full panic. It's hard to stay mad at someone who's going to have it so bad eventually.

As far as wealth and privilege, we all are on a train that's taking us to the same place. Those with nicer seats, or even sleeping cars, will have to walk away from them when the train stops, and frankly, I'm fine with standing for the ride. The other people who are standing with me are plenty entertaining for the most part.

I'm not sure if I'm an optimist or pessimist. I don't think I take this whole thing as being the end-all of conscious existence. I see it as just a phase that we all have to go through, I guess. I try to craft as good a version of me as I can with the time I have to do it, and that makes the rest of it a lot easier to deal with.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Pessimist. Hope for the best, have a contingency plan for the worst.

That way if the least favorable outcomes happen, you are prepared for the worst, and if good things happen you're pleasantly surprised.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Considering this is a view on the events of the past and present to reach an opinion I try to keep my views as balanced as possible. For instance on the things I have control over which is very little I am an optimist because I know what I am capable of doing to make positive results and 9 times out of 10 I reach positive results. When it comes to things I have no control over I view I analyze it gathering as much information my senses can touch to provide processing for my brain. For the most part I am outside looking in on allot of things sometimes optimism can be a vice, actually allot of times, and pessimism in my opinion gets a bad rap allot, if you keep emotions out of these words meaning then you can understand the principal for their meanings. In my opinion I think these ways of thinking are out dated when trying to process large amounts of information, since logic is the simplicity that always ends up getting contrasted or turned into a facade with human emotions.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Pessimism and optimism (realism / idealism) would seem to be rooted psychologically in what a person expects and and what they'll accept (like two sides of an equation).

If what one expects is not closely equal to what they'll accept, it can create quite an imbalance and great strife.

This is why I think many people who considered themselves to be optimists when they were young often find themselves feeling more pessimistic later in life - as they naturally continue to balance this 'equation' for themselves.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
There is an obvious gap between the world as it is, and the world as it ought to be, as we roll through the eternally unfolding present moment of now.

Therefore, my position is that the only reasonable and logical position to take, in the face of the seemingly insurmountable problems the world faces today, which are very human problems, is that of an idealist/optimist, not based on wishful thinking, but to try to position one's self relative to the very best, and in so doing, attempt to serve, in whatever way, however big or small, as part of the solution, instead of merely part of the problem. IMO, the cynical, pressimistic POV isn't helpful, and leads to apathy, wherein evil occurs as good men do nothing. It is an idealist/optimist who will give his very life for a higher purpose, to uphold the pinnacle of truth and justice, rather than crawl around mired in suffering and misery, powerless to effect positive change for the better. It is not a deluded person who is an optimist, just a strong willed person who is not unwilling to imagine a better world for himself and his fellow man, and prepared, as needed, to head straight into the breach with full awareness of what he is doing, and why. Jesus comes to mind here obviously.

edit on 29-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I don't see myself as either.

I don't approach a situation or a piece of information with a predefined expectation of the result, when I can avoid it.

I am a realist. I am prepared to discover things that are unpleasant and accept them for what they are, while I still hope for those things to turn out well.

Trying to "put the best light" on things is akin to denial.

Focusing on only negative is defeatist.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Im not sure I just see the glass is used for drinking.
2nd

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

There's a third way: realizing that it's all a cycle. Yin and yang. I would say that your pessimism is the correct interpretation of reality right now. Meaning we are currently on a downward slide and things really are in fact going to get worse soon.

But someday we'll be at rock bottom, and then there's no place to go but up. When that day comes, optimism will once again be the correct way of looking at reality.

Taking the long view, with both the ups and downs in view, being either an optimist or a pessimist could be seen as illogical but actually it probably becomes a deeper question. Does the overall cosmic situation remain static, or does it slowly rise or slowly fall? Or is that a cycle too, a deeper cycle in which the "smaller" cycles are embedded?

edit on 29-11-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

So you're saying that right NOW, we ought to expect and prepare for things to keep on getting ever worse, for some time to come, and that therefore the pessimistic POV is more appropriate..?

My only thinking is, to the degree that we each hold a world in potentia within, whereby everything is in truth, one, why would we be wanting to project into the future something even worse than what's already occured in the past, and keep THAT cycle going, to whatever degree we as the lone individual may be at cause in the world, in whatever way however big or small, and at whatever speed, however fast or slow?

What's wrong with learning from the past, and then breaking with it, to work together to create something better by comparison..?

WHY would anyone choose to hold a pessimistic POV is what I suppose I'm asking..? It just doesn't make any rational sense to me, at all.

That said, I very much like your idea of a cyclical ying/yang, which allows people to view things from a higher perspective. Perhaps even time itself may be viewed in this way also, in terms of causation..?

edit on 29-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: last two lines added

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Well, I think it's a matter of realizing that one person can only do so much. The tide of history is going in a certain direction and it would be silly to keep our heads in the sand because we don't like what we see when we're standing up straight.

But that being said, you as an individual don't have to contribute to the disaster. And in fact you can be optimistic about the things in your immediate environment and be constructive, while taking a generally pessimistic (in my view right now, realistic) view on global events.

In fact, I suspect the turnaround from rock bottom happens when a critical mass of people decide on a personal basis to be optimistic and constructive toward the world around them. At that point the turnaround happens.

And it will; don't worry. But I'll bet you a Federal Reserve Note that things are gonna get a lot worse in this world before that happens.

edit on 29-11-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
optimist or pessimist?? Depends on the day and who pissed me off. I always like having contingency plans.. just in case plans. If that makes me a pessimist or just someone who thinks ahead.. who knows.
I think there is a middle description.. a realist.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened
In fact, I suspect the turnaround from rock bottom happens when a critical mass of people decide on a personal basis to be optimistic and constructive toward the world around them. At that point the turnaround happens.

I agree, and on that basis I'll even go first if needed, and hey let's face it, there's nothing to lose, except our own personal power..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I am a surrenderist if that is even a real word. Being overly optimistic will leave you disappointed because you are in conflict with "what is", and being overly pessimistic leaves you with a dark and gloomy outlook on life. Your thoughts tend to become your reality. Don't train your mind to see negativity everywhere you go. In fact let go of the word negative all together because for all we know the tea parties and all the current political strife could be necessary to usher in the new generation of people that banish the current mindset of politics and greed.

Surrendering to "what is" and knowing that it is all happening for a reason lets you enjoy life again. You are gracefully floating down the stream of life, rather than thrashing, stressing, and hitting every rock on your way out to the big beautiful ocean!

Say the world does end in a fiery mess and all the pessimists are right and can say I told you so! At least you can enjoy the last few years free of stress and anxiety and appreciate all the beauty thats left!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
My answer kind of goes along with what Beyond Creation and Big Raging Loner had to say about optimism and pessimism being relative.

I am one of those people who always expects the worst, but hopes for the best out of most situations. I see the world for what it is. I see humanity for its possibilities, however, from what has been my personal experience, the future of mankind is heading in the opposite direction of those possibilities.

When it comes to bad situations that happen to me personally, I always just try to ride it out because past experience has taught me that it can't be bad forever. Does this make me an optimist? I am accused of being too negative about many things by people I know, but I am also positive in my own way. With that said, where does that leave me? Am I a pessimist because I tend to be skeptical of what I am told or have a different opinion than the majority of people? I don't know. Perhaps it does.

I suppose the best way to classify myself would to be called a pessimistic optimist?
Comments welcome.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I always try to look on the bright side of life even when my glass is half full of mists, I don't know why...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I haven't posted on here yet, but having been watching almost daily for months. Here is what I have to add today:

The cup is always 100% FULL

The cup is half full of liquid, half empty of liquid.
The cup is also half full of air, and half empty of air.
The cup is always full of something.

Trying to remove the air from their cup is useless, because more air will fill the cup.
If you want your cup full of liquid, find and add more liquid.
By adding more liquid to the cup, the air must leave.
There are little bits of liquid in the air.

Your life is always full of both what you want and don’t want.
If you try to remove what you don’t want in your life,
more of what you don’t want will come into your life.
For your life to be what you want, you must add more of what you do want.
You can find little bits of what you want within what you don’t want.
As you add more of what you do want in your life, what you don’t want will be forced to leave.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join