It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sheep said BAA.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Once again, the American public has chosen convenience over principal.

Given the opportunity to make a statement, telling the TSA that they had gone too far with their naked body scanners and "enhanced" pat downs, the American people decided that it was more important to get to their holiday turkeys on time.

Airport protest never takes off, few delays seen

The big Opt-Out looked like a big bust Wednesday as most of the Thanksgiving travelers selected for full-body scans and pat-down searches chose to submit to them rather than create havoc on one of the busiest flying days of the year. In fact, in some parts of the U.S., bad weather was shaping up as a bigger threat to travelers' hopes of getting to their destinations on time.

For days, activists had waged a loosely organized campaign on the Internet to encourage airline passengers to refuse full-body scans and insist on a pat-down in what was dubbed National Opt-Out Day. But as of Wednesday afternoon, the cascading delays and monumental lines that many feared would result had not materialized.

"It was a day at the beach, a box of chocolates," said Greg Hancock, 61, who breezed through security at the Phoenix airport on the way to a vacation in California. He was sent through a body scanner after a golf ball marker set off the metal detector.

His wife, Marti Hancock, 58, said that ever since she was in the air on Sept. 11, 2001, and feared there was a bomb on her plane, she has been fully supportive of stringent security: "If that's what you have to do to keep us safe, that's what you have to do."

Yahoo News

I wonder if anybody will complain when they institute full body cavity searches next year of if they'll all praise the TSA for keeping them safe from terrorists.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I just hope they don't make us say "TSA is our daddy"...

All hail TSA, keeper of our safety!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, most people were complaining that the scanners were being roped off and not used, which led to the assumption that opt-out day didn't work.

All I know is if it was Halliburton and Cheney behind the scanners instead of George Soros, I can almost guarantee more people would voice their anger.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

How many people are reading this from their iPhone in the coffee shop after recovering from black friday?

Great post but you have to accept that you will be leaving the majority of people behind if you want to live.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yeah, the sheep didn't say Baaaa... The TSA in some airports turned off the body scanners and didn't use them that day. To protest the protest.

www.infowars.com...
edit on 11/28/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
If I'm not mistaken, most people were complaining that the scanners were being roped off and not used, which led to the assumption that opt-out day didn't work.

All I know is if it was Halliburton and Cheney behind the scanners instead of George Soros, I can almost guarantee more people would voice their anger.

Sorry, I missed the memo...when did this turn into a partisan issue?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't like "parties" so my comment wasn't "partisan". Try again.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Yeah, the sheep didn't say Baaaa... The TSA in some airports turned off the body scanners and didn't use them that day. To protest the protest.

www.infowars.com...
edit on 11/28/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Interesting, it seems the TSA trumped the protest and now the MSM is making it look like the expected protest never took off because the people didn't care, when in fact, the TSA took away the thing people were supposed to be protesting against.

Brilliant strategy.

Now the MSM is making us think that the American people really are sheep and we can't effectively organize a protest against government oppression. They're trying to demoralize the opposition.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
These body scanners are ridiculous. I've declined two free rides for the holiday season over this. One to Cancun at the Ritz, everything included free, and another free airfare to NYC to see the ball drop. There's no damned way I'm letting these bastards fry or grope me. I don't care if they say the radiation dose is equivalent to merely 4 minutes of commercial cruise altitude flying. That dose is packed in 60 or so times faster, and that doesn't fly with my common sense.

I'm just staying here in Texas for the holidays. If more people boycotted the airline industry it would collapse. Then we'd have our future-gen maglev implemented nationwide. The only logical reason it hasn't already been done is because of the airline industry lobbyists. Suck them dry, don't fly!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Mulsim terrorists caught last couple of days from..........

Warrantless wiretaps.....1
TSA Sexual assaults.....0

Remember the outrage of warrantless wiretaps? Looks like it is far more effective so far.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

That could be another reason for the lack of protest at the airports. If people opted out of flying this holiday, there were less people inside the airports to join the protest against the scanners.

I wonder how the air travel volume was this year compared to past years? Of course, the MSM will blame any drop on the bad economy if it does turn out that less people flew this holiday.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

There is no terrorist. That is all ninja smoke for damage control to justify the shadow governments behavior.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Interesting, it seems the TSA trumped the protest and now the MSM is making it look like the expected protest never took off because the people didn't care, when in fact, the TSA took away the thing people were supposed to be protesting against.

Brilliant strategy.

Now the MSM is making us think that the American people really are sheep and we can't effectively organize a protest against government oppression. They're trying to demoralize the opposition.

I agree... Also they are saying "Most people don't care about new security measures" based on "scientific polls"... I read the fine print on the poll on yahoo and it was based on 500 people.

This is blatant yellow journalism.

The mockingbird is singing...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by unityemissions

I wonder how the air travel volume was this year compared to past years? Of course, the MSM will blame any drop on the bad economy if it does turn out that less people flew this holiday.

Interesting question. I'll look into it and see if I can find something to contribute.

I think the bad economy is a factor to take into consideration, but more so as from before the recession compared with now, rather than just last year compared to this one. I'm not sure I'd put too much weight on that factor for this time frame.

Oh I forgot something else to pop into the equation! That's the average cost for air travel. Remember that gas prices spiked during the beginning of the recession, then sharply declined after 6 months or so. So, it would be difficult to accurately assess how much the weak economy has directly impacted air travel rates.
edit on 28-11-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So the TSA turned off the scanners and the gropes for what they said was the busiest fly date of the year. They flipped it by saying there were no protests. But guess what, there were no terrorist acts either. Wonder if the MSM will put that in their news reports?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Here's a link to the Research and Innovative Technology Administration for the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. It seems like a somewhat steady rate of growth compared to population increase. I honestly don't think any more than 1% of the population is willing to boycott commercial airlines.

RITA BTS

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SunshineLaws

It just goes to show that this whole thing isn't about safety, its about CONTROL.

If they were really interested in the safety of the traveling public, they would never have turned off the body scanners on one of the busiest travel days of the year. That would have put the public in danger if this was really about safety. If they were really interested in our safety, they would have kept them on during the holiday rush and dealt with the protests.

Instead, they proved that the scanners do nothing to keep us safe by shutting them off during a prime terrorist target date. The scanners aren't keeping us any safer, they are just acclimating us to accept further government intrusion in our lives. The TSA turned them off to shut down any potential protests to make it look like the public was submitting meekly to their intrusions.

top topics

join