It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Weapon- check it out

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
E_T

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Against current EMP shielding is no problem. And unshielded computers would at worst shut down. As for this not being the Matrix well you never know.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
every weapon can fail so far no one has produced a weapon that never has something go wrong. or a fool proof one.

Hence the need for side-arms in case your primary fails or can't perform adiquately.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
looks like the very idea of infantry battles are too be changed, why isn't this breaking news on tv... hmmm... i wonder...

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Everything made now-a-days has integratd circuits in it. My toaster has a small CPU. EMP increases voltage on the circuit, enough can actually melt connections. You can bet that jets, tanks and nV googles, radios, practically any elctrical device has IC chips in them. These can all be damaged by EMP. But, don't think that EMP is a doomsday weapon for the military, it isn't. Remember you have to get the energy to produce the EMP, what devices produce a lot of energy in a burst? If you nuked them EMP is just a side benefit to the massive gamma radiation. Even huge capacitors wouldn't cover a battlefield with enough energy to kill all the electronics, especially if they were shielded. Think about it folks, if it worked so easily the US would be using them en masse.

E_T

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Variable
Remember you have to get the energy to produce the EMP, what devices produce a lot of energy in a burst?

Again: (repetition is the mother of learning)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.globalsecurity.org...
www.globalsecurity.org...
www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil...

And if those aren't enough... Use the Google, Variable.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ok, kid-in-the-blue-jumpsuit , I already have read about EMP. I still have no idea why your posting links to EMP. If you have a point you should speak it, if you are just a fan of posting links with no point, then no one will click on your links. Why should they? What is your point? You'r assuming a great deal.

This is the EMP article I read.

www.geocities.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
EMP affects SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES. That is integrated circuits, transistors, and diodes. If your electronics devices use the good old fashioned vacuum tubes like the radios in the good old Mig 21 and earlier models, then you are good to go.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I do not mean that vacuum tubes are UNAFFECTED. I mean that they are effected LESS than semiconductors.

E_T

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I do not mean that vacuum tubes are UNAFFECTED. I mean that they are effected LESS than semiconductors.

That's because insulator layers are much thinner in semiconductors and smaller overvoltage is enough for them.
(and they work with lover voltages, just like PC's processors, smaller production technique means lower voltage)
Compare those voltages to these what vacuum tubes use and there big difference.

Originally posted by Variable
What is your point?

You asked what produce energy required for EMP so there's answer.
(without using nukes... why so many have this obsession to them?)

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
E.T. Your point is still lacking. The article you linked to is about theoretical weapons - how they could be made. The article is filled with "could be." The only people who MAY have such weapons, according to your links, is the US and possibly CIS (whoever the hell that is). Since the topic came up that this new weapon for the US military could be disabled by EMP, are you saying that the US will use the secret EMP bomb against its' own people? IF you're saying that it is possible to disable US weapon systems with EMP bombs then why haven't they been used against US forces so far? The answer is there is no EMP bomb for forces fighting the US, or it could be that any existing EMP weapons have very little effect for the costs associated. Battle fields can stretch hundreds of miles. IF you're talking about effective ranges of hundreds of yards, as the articles state, then why not use sub-munitions like cluster bombs. They don't disable, they destroy targets.

Variable

[edit on 7/4/2004 by Variable]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Someone asked who was the CIS, I believe in this case it would be the "Commonwealth of Independant States"

The country formerly Known as the Soviet Union

BTW recoil is a product of inertia, it is directly related to the weight of the projectile...so If you launch bearings from a satellite...well...better fire the retro rockets if you like the orbit its in...

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Yes that would be true but if you read the topic this weapon has no recoil zero recoil which means it can be fired from satellites with no need for retrorockets and it has some amazing other stuff read it for yourself.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I did read it and I again assert you cannot launch anything from anything in any manner without putting the combined weight of the projectile and the force of the launch in the opposite direction...cant be done. zero FELT recoil can be achieved but no matter, you launch a flies testicles from a satellite with a slingshot and there will be "an equal and opposite reaction"

period end of story

cool post though...have a great day!

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
well lasers would work well in space then since your not launching anything that is why the US military is thinking about doing that well have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
well lasers would work well in space then since your not launching anything that is why the US military is thinking about doing that well have a nice day.

UH dude, what in the Sam Hellmanns has that got to do with THIS thread?

you can also stick a piece of celery in a glass of colored water and change its color... but the recoil is incredible...

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Well this is a thread about a new weapon and since we were on the topic of weapons in space I said lasers don't have recoil and how about next time you write down a better joke just some advise have a nice day

[edit on 5-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Ok heres some advise for EVERYONE, Stop Saying "Have a Nice Day" at the end of each reply its alright once in a while... but its ANNOYING how many times you've put it now!

Anyway lasers like of 'Star Wars' havnt been invented only ones that can burn things, NOT blow up things!

And for the no recoil bit about the gun we started talking about, as im sure sombody mentioned earlier but Newtons 3rd Law of Motion aplies - Every Action has an Equal and Opposite Re-Action

So if you use energy to fire the BB's then your going to get some form of energy back.

[edit on 5-7-2004 by The_Squid]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Actually squid solid state laser like the one the US military is using for its shield burns holes in things that technically causes them to blow up so it could go either way

E_T

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
Anyway lasers like of 'Star Wars' havnt been invented only ones that can burn things, NOT blow up things!

You're right they don't automatically explode the target, but if it hits missile's fuel tank...

But there's also other damaging mechanism:
Lasers kill by burning through the target's skin or imparting such a high impulse on the skin that it spalls, destroying vital interior systems or resulting in aerothermal structural kill.
www.fas.org...
So with bigger power it's also like shooting target with "solid projectile".

That what causes this impulse is called radiation pressure.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Why couldn't the Army have something this cool, when I was in? The video is kind of a joke. Obvious hype to investors and potential customers. Any way, if the weapon truly works, God help who is ever on the reveiving end.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join