It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks - First Leaks Revealed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
I just realized. This might be the beginning of the end of free speech on the Internet. Once all of these leaks get out, there will be no way to prevent people all over the world from sharing the information with each other.

How long before they shut down all of the blogging sites, including this one?

Doesn't President Obama have the power to shut down the Internet?

The authority... Yes..... The power? Not exactly

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
owni.fr...

Berlusconi and Putin have ’special relationship’

The Telegraph writes that the StateLogs will show that Russian president Putin and Italy’s Premier Berlusconi enjoyed a ’special relationship’. They have been friends for the past 5 years and spent numerous holidays together, says the Telegraph, in a way that worried the US.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDolphinSings
Wikileaks Twitter Update: 3 minutes ago.

"We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack."

Wow...Governments ARE trying to stop them. The leaks must be really bad.

How would they know it's a DDoS attack and not just 20x the normal volume of people going to their web site?
I thought he had a hacking background...surely he would have taken precautions against this? Maybe Hillary's call to China was to persuade them to get their hackers to bring down Wikileaks

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by peter_kandra

Originally posted by TheDolphinSings
Wikileaks Twitter Update: 3 minutes ago.

"We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack."

Wow...Governments ARE trying to stop them. The leaks must be really bad.

How would they know it's a DDoS attack and not just 20x the normal volume of people going to their web site?
I thought he had a hacking background...surely he would have taken precautions against this? Maybe Hillary's call to China was to persuade them to get their hackers to bring down Wikileaks

Its easy to tell the difference.... See my post on the last page about three way handshakes...

I've worked on many cases which involve DDoS
edit on 28-11-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Doesn't President Obama have the power to shut down the Internet?

Never fear, true nerds are very resourceful. Do you really think the best hackers/IT persons are employed by the Govt?
Why do you think some hackers get offered deals to lighten or dismiss charges?
Work for us, do what you enjoy with no repercussions AND get paid for it.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

Actually yes.... I have lost some of my best employees to the gov...

Don't kid yourself, our gov does have some of the best working for it....

However, no hacker is so uber as to stop the dissemination of information... Remember hackers get hacked too... Go check out zf0

The president has the authority.... But the power is a whole other thing

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

No it isnt.. A ddos attack just floods the server with requests to view the information (docs, html file etc..), no different than high volume traffic.
Youll get the same "connection timed out" message either way.

well, i worded that wrong.. ddos attack floods the server with packets, sending a ping to an ip addy from thousands of computers at the same time.
But youll get the same error message that youd get when thousands of you try to view a file on the server at the same time.
Which is why some websites go down when something very popular is posted. more bandwidth would solve that problem but a ddos attack is much more severe.

edit on 28-11-2010 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I think that information wants to spread like life wants to grow.

I think it is a physical law.

twitter.com...
twitter.com...

Tweeting excerpts

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
reply to post by Mdv2

Look at the demographic projections for europe. Ageing declining populations all around. Crippling social care costs that will only increase.
This is a view I hear quite a lot irl, but imo its overly simplistic. Other factors to consider are 1st the 800lb gorilla in the international room which is that the "sub-prime mortgage crisis" was not an accident, it was nothing less than deliberate economic warfare waged by the USA with the express intention of preventing the Euro from gaining further ground against the US$ as an international reserve currency, driving the US$ down in relative value & prompting grave fears of inflation within the USA. It was partially successful, but only partially, for another reason which is rarely discussed: the Eurozone runs a small trade surplus, thus could actually pay its debts, should it become necessary to bail some of the more poorly performing economies out with the slush fund created for that purpose & the Eurozone could withstand the kind of inflation that may result. Whereas the USA runs a massive trade deficit & thus cannot pay its debts, nor withstand much inflation.

I agree that, having defrauded Europe so egregiously, the USA would be wise to look to the Far East, b/c they'll certainly not get a chance to pull off a scam like that again in Europe! The trouble is that I just cant see the good ol' US public standing for the kind of political concessions the BRIC nations are going to want in return for economic cooperation with the USA. As much as, from the options available, Obama was the man for the job, no amount of smiling & behaving respectfully is going to cut any ice with the likes of Vladimir Putin, Hu Jintao, etc. Also, as much as the sabre-rattling over North Korea may distract the US public, no world leaders are concerned about much other than oil & what currency its sold for.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Correction: There is a second article in DER SPIEGEL - about 30 pages long, but freelancer stopped twittering.

This second part is said to contain the real stuff...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix

No it isnt.. A ddos attack just floods the server with requests to view the information (docs, html file etc..), no different than high volume traffic.

It really depends on the type.... Most of the ones i see still use this technique...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Is there any chance that this time we can have "One Thread Only" regarding the impending release of files?
I was lost off last time.
How about a thread titled wikileaks files released then having an alternative thread discussing the origional?
Please?

why just one thead it is easier to digest large amounts of info if its broken up...
kx

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The ignored warning to wikileaks from the elected US government...

www.abc.net.au...

"As you know, if any of the materials you intend to publish were provided by any government officials, or any intermediary without proper authorisation, they were provided in violation of US law and without regard for the grave consequences of this action.

Emphasis mine.

There are government officials that are elected and there are those that are not.... At the end of the day who do you think has the most power?

Some government agencies are immune to US and even international laws. Or they have no fear of them because they have powers that cannot be challenged... But "wikileaks" can be.

The US government needs to realize that wikileaks is not their enemy, it is just a vehicle for the advancement of covert agendas, some of which may include exposure of corruption and "dirty little secrets" to make changes none of you or us can possibly understand.

Like their past staged wars and attacks, creations such as fictional terrorist leaders, and manipulations of the global diplomatic agendas, economies and more. You've been had again!

Government created this beast and they can't kill it, nor stop it. At least they have a clever target in wikileaks this time.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
Correction: There is a second article in DER SPIEGEL - about 30 pages long, but freelancer stopped twittering.

This second part is said to contain the real stuff...

This just in...

wikileaks: El Pais, Le Monde, Speigel, Guardian & NYT will publish many US embassy cables tonight, even if WikiLeaks goes down

Note that it says "many"... Not all

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Interesting reply. Have a star for giving me something new to think about :-)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am amazed at the folks on this thread and other threads that are dismissing this as uneventful.

I can only guess that these people are working for the U.S. agencies.

This is a massive amount of information that covers ever incident on the planet.

This is without doubt absolutely freaking enourmous.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

You kind of asked and answered your own question mate.

You: How does he know they are DDoS attacks and not 20X the volume of traffic on their website?

You: He has a background in hacking...

Asked and answered...by yourself.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
I am amazed at the folks on this thread and other threads that are dismissing this as uneventful.

I can only guess that these people are working for the U.S. agencies.

This is a massive amount of information that covers ever incident on the planet.

This is without doubt absolutely freaking enourmous.

Exactly, with 2.8 million documents to be released NO ONE can say anything about it yet except for it's huge, and the US is apologizing beforehand...

That's it

Anyone who attempts to draw a conclusion at this point is a fool

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Animatrix

It really depends on the type.... Most of the ones i see still use this technique...

Oh, my bad, i just realized he asked, "How does HE know its ddos and not visitors" I misunderstood, i thought he asked how could a visitor to the site know the difference based on the error message received.

I blame it on weak coffee and no red bull this morning.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

. No worries, i fall prey to that exact same condition some days ;-)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join