It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin: Russia will join the euro one day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Asked about Russia's role in the eurozone in the future, Mr Putin said: "Can it be supposed that one day Russia will be in some joint currency zone with Europe? Yes, quite possible."

Speaking at the same event, Josef Ackermann, chief executive of Deutsche Bank, echoed Mr Putin and said he could imagine Russia joining a common European currency.

Mr Putin said that for the past decade there has been a reliance on the dollar that needs to be rebalanced as it makes the world economy vulnerable. "We should move away from the excessive monopoly of the dollar as the only global reserve currency," he said.

source

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Please, no.
Russian accession=Russian takeover.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
people still forget that russia is part of europe
so its entierly possible

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Russia and China are only being courted by the Eurozone because they have independence and they are very powerful.

Being in the USA and seeing the powerful economies of Russia/China locking arms together makes me realize that Russia/China are likely to become the worlds dominant powers. Russia is a leading oil producer, leading rice producer, etc. Both Russia and China have strong manufacturing, while the USA has almost none. The USA govt has allowed the global corporations to send all our manufacturing overseas, making us a toothless lion. If there were a world war, how could we even hope to manufacture what we need? We rely so much on imports.

China and Russia have stayed in the oil/dollar game until now (the tipping point), but stayed away from becoming DEBT SLAVES. Russia in the 90's nationalized energy companies and erased their debt. I just rewatched "The International" with Clive Owen. My favorite scene from that movie explains this so well (see YouTube video below). The quick explanation is that when the banks control your debt, you are their slaves. Russia and China are slaves to no one.

SLAVES TO DEBT

edit on 28-11-2010 by thepixelpusher because: typos

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Funny thing is, this doesn't surprise me at all.

When I was a kid and played the old NES and SNES games, many of these games (early 1990s) depicted Russia as joining the EU around 2010.

Funny coincidence, or purposely planted information to butter me up for future developments? Who knows?

It does give me a strange suspicion that the makers of those old games may have been fronts for military intelligence /conditioning programs. Or they were all well versed in geo-politics enough to predict events decades ahead of time.

At this point it appears inevitable that the rest of the Eastern Bloc nations + Russia will eventually join.

But 20years ago, right after the Berlin Wall collapsed, everyone was still deeply ingrained in the ideas of the Cold War competitions. It would be very unlikely or rare for someone to accurately predict Russia joining the EU in 20 years, especially since the EU didn't even exist at the time.

I've seen it around several times though. So the idea is nothing new.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I should add:

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin proposed closer economic links between Russia and the European Union that would eventually lead to establishing a free-trade zone stretching “from Lisbon to Vladivostok.”

The response to the financial crisis should be a “joint continental market,” particularly in heavy industry and energy, Putin wrote in a commentary published today in German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung. Putin is on a visit to Germany for talks with Chancellor Angela Merkel and business leaders tomorrow.

“In the future a free-trade zone could come into being and we could even consider more advanced economic integration,” Putin wrote. “Indeed, a joint continental market would then be created whose capacities would be in the trillions of euros.”

source

and:

BERLIN, November 26 (Itar-Tass) -- The world must put an end to excessive monopolism of the U.S. currency in the world economy, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Friday.

“We must put an end to excessive monopolism of the dollar – there is no doubt that it is bad for the world economy, making it vulnerable,” Putin told a Sueddeutsche Zeitung economic forum.

He also said he was confident the United States will overcome the crisis and get out of the situation.

source

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Mr Putin said .."We should move away from the excessive monopoly of the dollar as the only global reserve currency,"

If this is not a sign of trouble for the dollar than I don't know what is.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Heres a motto Never Turn your back at your enemy, let the enemy became your friend
I doubt the Russians would join the Eu Union.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
You know your in trouble when the ex KGB man starts talking sense. :-)

The EU and russia are economically complimentary in many ways. It makes perfect sense from the Russian perspective to draw closer to the EU.

Its a long way down the road though as quite a lot of Russian reform would be needed. The rule of law needs to be established properly in russia first.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Who would of forseen ireland giving up soverinty in 15 years after most of the troubles ended.

There is alot more going on than we know.

It makes alot of sense, for russia to have that option.

new topics

top topics

join