It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you hate the God of the Bible?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The God of the Bible is a sicko psycho. A cantankerous mental case out of control. If that is who people are willing to follow, it is totally baffling to me. He sounds like a nightmare of too much testosterone. That evilbible link makes a nice quick reference as an antidote to sleep-brained bible thumpers.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
[Yes discussions are nice. But you asked us why we dont like the God protrayed in the bIble. We are giving the answers. SO heres another one of mine. What you said right there is why. Because in real life, there are no motifs, no themes, no plot diagrams, no literary devices. Foreshadowing just happens to be one of those literary devices. That, to me (being a writer and all) just enforces that the Bible is a story, a BOOK! No more! Not Gods word because it is humans word. And people killing each other in the name of some God created by a humans book is a slander to the name of my true God.

I have to differ with you. God is the writer of the Bible. He can foreshadow real life since He knew the end from the beginning. Before time began He could see it's first moment and it's last all at once. And since He created time and lives outside of it He can enter into and out of it whenever He wants. There are many instances in the Bible where He does this. I'm not a trained writer, but I do know what I believe.

I believe it's more than a book.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
"I believe it's more than a book"........I totally agree, it can also be used as a powerful weapon in the hands of a charismatic manipulator.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
In the King James version of the socalled Hebrew Bible (OT), the term THE LORD is the way the court of King James I in 1611 translated the term YHWH (Yahweh) when they came across it in the Masoretic version of the text they were consuilting, following the custom of the Greek LXX (Septuaginta) who used "Kurios" ("lord") most of the time except in Exodus chapter 3 (Burning Bush Narrative) where (Iaue) was used.

When they came across ELOHIM the 1611 English translational team in London wrote the word "God".

They had trouble when they came to the word ELOAH in the strange poetical sections of the book of Job (chapters 3 to 42) so they settled just for plain old "God".

When the translators came to El-Shaddai or El-Elyon in Exodus chapter 3, they used other names like God Almighty etc.

All of this masks the fact that many different gods were originally worshipped by "Jews" in pre-Exilic times (i.e. before 587BC)

Either way, it is confusing people on this thread when people use the term "GOD" always to refer to Yahweh, the vicious clan god of Israel.

Please do not refer to GOD as GOD, but name the god you are talking about. If it is the "god of the post Exilic Israelites" then the name is Yahweh (or YHWH, since Paleo Hebrew lacks vowels for the most part). If it another god (e.g. Allah, Brama, Shiva, Amon-Ra etal. ) please say so by NAME.

In other words, use the "proper" name when referring to "god" so we won't think you're talking about Dionysius or something.

The "clan god" worshipped by R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean ("Jeeeezuzzz") was of course Yahweh, and most of the references to "the god of Israel" in post Exilic Judaeistic texts was edited down to refer only to Yahweh and no other deities:

Deuteronomy chapter 6:4 the socalled Shema'q is written in late Hebrew, i.e. after 480 BC and is correctly translated as:

"Hear O Israel, Yahweh is our clan-god. Yahweh alone"

(some translations of the Shema'q mangle the meaning in English (e.g. KJV) to as to appear not so overtly Zionist or "clannish" in tone: e.g. "Hear O Israel, THE LORD our GOD the LORD is one" or other such ungrammatical nonsense.)

At any rate, when referring to "god" in this thread, if you are referring to the brutal, sexist, racist, temperamental, inconsistent and war-mongering-genocidal maniac god YHWH (as this clan god is depicted in the Torah and other places in the Hebrew scriptures) , then please use one of the following terms so we will know which god you mean:

l. Yahweh the clan-god of Israel
2. YHWH, the god of the "Jews"
3. YHWH (or "Yahweh") the god of the Bible
4. Yahweh, the god of Jesus
5. The Jewish god
6. The Hebrew god (or god of the Hebrews) as in Exodus 5:3

Avoid the misnomer "Jehovah" if you can, since it makes little sense for us in the West these days to have the vowels of "edonai" (my Lord) placed into YHWH just to make a name up.

In other words, 90% of the world does not believe that the pernicious clan god of the "bible" is universal or relevant today, so if you are talking about the god of the "bible", then please use what later became his proper name after 480 BC.

Before 480 BC, the Israelites worshipped a whole slough of other gods (e.g. Dagon, Chemosh, all the Baals, Asherah, Nebo etc.) but when the exiled priests came back from Babylon, they forced Yahwism on the people, and then had the "old testament" set in writing and heavilly re-edited most of it to fit into their new "Yahwistic" theology, including some of the psalms (e.g. psalm 29) which were originally Psalms to the god Baal.

Just try to be a little more accurate so we can address these points with more precision, is all.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Sorry I am not using the correct name as you wish. My God is the God of the Bible, Jesus Christ. Everyone else seems to know who I am referring to. I'm not saying this to irritate.

Also the God of the Bible is in control of everything, so when other peoples invented a "God" for this and a "God" for that this is why God came and picked Abram out of the world. He was saying to him and is saying to us I am the only God you need because I am the only one there is. I am so awesome that every facet of creation and all it contains(rain, snow, flowers, trees, animals, the sun rising, the sun setting, the stars in the sky, dew in the morning, people etc., etc., etc...) I control it all and am aware of it all. Inventing another God is futile. Making a block of wood to set up on a pedastal is not me. Making a golden calf and saying this is me is futile. "I am that I am", if you come close to me I will come close to you. If you need rain and the "rain god" isn't answering you don't invent a "cloud god" and ask him to make clouds, so then the "rain god" has something to work with. Don't do that, there is only one God. If you need rain ask me, I'll bring the clouds and fill them with every drop you need. In seeking other "gods" you are seeking demons who desire your death(literal, physical, spiritual, eternal). The god of the Bible has everyone, individually at the center of His thoughts 24 hours a day.

f I tried to think about 6 billion people all at once and remember them all by name and at the same moment know how many trees there are on planet earth and how many lions are roaming the jungles and how many birds are flying in the sky, etc., etc., etc... I could not do it, because I'm not capable.

My God is capable, of remembering my name and everyone else's while keeping His eye on the sparrow.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Don't you mean "GODS" of the Bible?

Let US make man in OUR image. Who the hell is "GOD" talking to.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't know if you're asking me but God the Father,Son, and Holy Sprit are conversing with each other. I can't explain how there is one God but 3 distinct persons any better than with this illustration

An egg consists of a shell a yoke and the white. Seperate them and you have individually a shell a yolk and the white. But together they make and egg.

Seperate The Father, Son and Holy Sprit and you still have indivdually God but together He is complete.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Amadeus,
Within the New Testament where does Yeshua refer to his father by the name Yahweh?
John 8:44 reads:
'You are of your father the devil and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him...for he is a liar and the father of it"
He was speaking to "jews" that served Yahweh the cult god. Its an accurate description of Yahweh. Yahweh was a murderer from the beginning and didn't abide in the truth. Could yeshua be referring to Yahweh here.

The Old Testament states that Yahweh was one of the sons of Elyon-Deuteronomy 32:8-9 (best to read this from something other than Masoretic because it was changed by them to cover up polytheism)
Avrahams god was El....the most high...Jacob's god was El...
hence the name Isra-EL...could it be that yeshua's Father was Elyon (The most high)?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Why to hate the christian god..... He wiped out millions with plagues, disease, weather, so forth. He orders people to be killed for free thinking and not being sheep of the flock. He makes women out to be little less than slaves. Wait, not god, the people who wrote and edited the bible make women out like that.

The so called god of christianity is based on a book written by man and edited by the church. The church left out a few books that they thought were wrong. Why? The book that tells us about how Jesus and mary Magedline(sp?) were lovers? Or the fact that she was the leader of the 7 FEMALE disciples while Jesus was the leader on the 12 male disciples? Or what about the parts that are edited by the church? Like the part that tells you jesus sent Judas to Rome to tell the guards where he was? That's right, Judas didn't betray Jesus, Jesus sent him to the guards so he could turn himself in. The silver? Well, back then they didn't have police, and if a citizen turned in a criminal they were payed for it. So Judas was given the silver for turning Jesus in, as Jesus had told Judas to do.

The bible is bull#. I'd use it for firewood, it would do more good than what the christians use it for. Although I did have a rather great experience with two christians today. They were Elders of the Church of Latter Day Saints. I saw them at Fritzie Freeze(ice cream/milkshake place) and was almost not going to stop for a milkshake. But I stopped. One was doing a rubix cube and I commented on it. He just asked me to watch. I did, and in about 5 minutes he had it done. I was amazed. And best part of it all? They didn't start harking on the bible or how if I didn't join them I was going to hell. They were nice people, far better than any catholic I've ever met.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I am guessing you meant Judas went into Jerusalem to turn Jesus in. And I agree with you that Jesus told him to go and get it done(the betrayal). That's because Jesus knew the time had come for Him to die for the sins of the world(people) .

I also agree that's it's people who treat women badly and men get treated badly in certain circumstances too.
God loves men and women.

Why did you single out catholics? I'm not of the catholic faith.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Amadeus- which Amadeus are you: king, victor, wolfgang? I just want to make sure I am reflecting of the names in the appropriate manner.

I am sure you had a point at one time or another, but if God of Israel has always been God, way before people even new what a number or name was, then how can you say that by the name used, anyone would be referencing a different God. Would it not be logical that people would steal the names used to refer to the almighty as an attempt to put themselves on a higher plane than the rest of the world. That is exactly what the Ant-christ is suppose to do. Yhwh is simply "the name" as to
"I am", also referred to as "the distinguished name" or "the extrodinary name". That is just a typical corruption by people to use the name of someone or something that has meaning when they want to influence others to believe they are something they are not. Which Amadeus are you?
You appear to have either done a lot of homework or to truely be a scholar in ancient theology, but surely you haven't let the simpliest of truths escape your thoughts. Satan wants to decieve and he has been around for a long time. Thats a long time to corrupt anything. I would suggest using your time to actually help people instead of trying to do harm to peoples beliefs by confusing truth with meaningless allegations. Unless you have a hidden agenda.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSoze
Amadeus,
Within the New Testament where does Yeshua refer to his father by the name Yahweh?
John 8:44 reads:
'You are of your father the devil and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him...for he is a liar and the father of it"
He was speaking to "jews" that served Yahweh the cult god. Its an accurate description of Yahweh. Yahweh was a murderer from the beginning and didn't abide in the truth. Could yeshua be referring to Yahweh here.

The Old Testament states that Yahweh was one of the sons of Elyon-Deuteronomy 32:8-9 (best to read this from something other than Masoretic because it was changed by them to cover up polytheism)
Avrahams god was El....the most high...Jacob's god was El...
hence the name Isra-EL...could it be that yeshua's Father was Elyon (The most high)?

The Hindu trinity, Brahma the creator, Vishnu the sustainer, and Shiva the destroyer, put the 3 together, and you get Man/women......

Same concept here, people just can't understand it.

Deep

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hi there, Popeye 0314:

The problem with any discussion abour the clan-god of the Jews in the Bible is that he/it is NOT a "universal god", but merely a local clan god who was given universal attributes a little late in his career after the books were re-written after the Babylonian Exile.

One can see at a glance that the words placed into his mouth are not universal at all in scope, but are specific to the (now long gone) internal politics of the Israelite tribal amphyctionies in Palestine, who no longer exist today.

I just want people to be aware that when the say or use the word GOD on these threads (and by doing so, want everyone reading always to understand that they ALWAYS refer to YHWH the clan god of Israel) they are making it very difficult for themselves to be clearly understood.

If you think YHWH is a universal deity with some kind of relevance for the 21st century, you are going to have to read the text very carefully over, because you have somehow misread the intent of the original language.

It's sort of like using the word "President" and ALWAYS wanting EVERYONE to think they are ALWAYS referring to, say, Andrew Jackson only and non other....

What I am trying to get across is that if you refer to any "clan-god", refer to him by proper Name, not TITLE. If you do not want to use YAHWEH, then you can say "the god of the Hebrews", that way we'll get a broader idea of which god you mean.

This is because different ancient middle eastern clan-gods have different attributes and theologies and personalities:

Yahweh has his own distinct personality whose words were deliberately phrased and placed into his mouth by priests and scribes who had a specific Zionist Agenda ("Thus saith YAHWEH... you shall utterly genocide the Amalekites from under the heavens...you shall exterminate them all..you shall leave nothing breathing...")--this agenda WAS NOT A UNIVERSALIST POINT OF VIEW, but only of a small group of semi nomads lost in the desert, taking over older and more sophisticated cultures, and not blending in all that peacefully with them.

Also do NOT refer to "Jesus" as "Christ" since "Christos" is a TITLE not a NAME. IT MAY REFER TO ANY ONE OF A NUMBER OF INDIVIDUALS IN HISTORY.

R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean (who was executed during the reign of Tiberius for a failed armed Sedition Coup against Rome during the 100th anniversary of the Roman Occupation of Jerusalem, i.e. Breach of Lex Maiestatis, which carried the Death Penalty) is often called "Jesus" by his followers who speak English (generally pronounced something like "Jeeezzzuzz" by Americans) and by many persons on this Thread who for some odd reason like the Latinised version of a Greek rendition of Yehoshua) is even called "Christ" by some people, thinking it was his last name, and not a title (Greek: "Christos" means "Annointed", or "smeared with Oil", a rough translation for the Hebrew Meshia'q, "Annointed One").

"Christians" forget that there were many failed Messiahs or Christs, and many pagan non-jews who were regarded as Christs (e.g. the pagan Medeo-Persian King Cyrus in Isaiah chapter 45:1 "Behold Cyrus, My CHRIST")

So if you refer to "Christ" you could be referring to any one of a number of people in antiquity who thought their hero was "a Christ":

One cannot always assume you are automatically referring to R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean when you say "Christ said..."

So when you refer to one of the many 1st century Galilean "Messiahs" don't just use the title "Christ": it is not specific enough to always refer to the same individual all the time.

If you want to use the Greek name Iesous (a name by the way, which R. Yeoshua bar Yosef would not have recognised) you can put it in inverted commas like "Jesus" to show that you know it is NOT his "real name in History", just a convenient shorter way of referring to "R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean".

The accurate naming of individuals in "history" can be very difficult at times in many cultures.

How many Muhammed Ali's are there in the world, besides the American born Boxer?

It's a little easier with the clan god of the Jews, you can just say "Yahweh" or YHWH, but never use the word "god" all by itself because it is not "specific enough" for these kinds of discsussions.

But simply using GOD is toooooo vague. If I were a HOPI Indian I would automatically think you are referring to the Great Spirit of the Hopi, who shares nothing in common at all with YHWH the vicious, inconsistent clan god of Israel who wants all the Amalekites exterminated. Now.

It would be like people in Kiev always referring to Donald Trump (who is sometimes jokingly referred to as "The Donald") as "The Vladmir " because "Vladmir" is the Russian for "Don-ald" = (lit. "Ruler of the World").
If Donald Trump was Russian, maybe it would make more sense.

R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean was NOT a Greek.....and did not speak English either, for that matter !

Clear as mud?

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
i hate the "god of the bible" because he is a spiritual terrorist. i can almost understand how a frustrated, impotent neurotic HUMAN might embrace terrorism as a way of meeting their unmet emotional needs, but i cannot comprehend such a thing happening with an OMNIPOTENT, ALL-KNOWING supreme being. can any rational person? oh that's right, you have renounced rationality and based an entire religious "faith" on the insane premises of a BOOK....christinsanity.

what a needy god you worship. a god who NEEDS a system necessitating horrendous punishment for not renouncing the object of his phobia: "SIN". a god craving not only attention but WORSHIP, worship that christianDUMB is all too eager to give him for........ the "precious gift" of being SAVED from their awful fate. the fate that their "loving" creator made necessary.

i am not an atheist, just irreligious. something tells me the real "god" is, too.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The things God instructed the Jews to do in the Old Testament are hard to swallow. But He did tell them to do certain things. I am glad I was born on this side of the cross.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I do not believe in God as in the bible etc- what i do believe is that God could just simply be mothernature- if you see my point.

It is not that i hate God or anything but like others have already said i dislike the fact that Religion can be a pressed issue not a choice.

I do like the thought of life after death and maybe even rencarnation ( sorry for bad spelling)- i believe what you have done in your past life- effects what you are in your second life- for example if you were a criminal in your past life- you would come back as vermin or something- but if you had done good- you would come back as human form but with a better life- if you get what i mean!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   

It is not that i hate God or anything but like others have already said i dislike the fact that Religion can be a pressed issue not a choice.

Nobody should be pressing religion on you. Not even catholics/christians/whatever.

The only times the church as pressed religion on people is when they came in america and all converted the indians. People now should be more "civilized"

For myself, i believe in following the teachings of Jesus and follow his path. Yes me too i'm glad i was born "on this side of the cross"...

I'm a catholic and i know many... we don't press our religion on any one.
Yes we also use the old testament, but we don't spend 100% of our time quoting from there and using excuses from there.

The thing is, if someone does good to anyone, lives an OK moral, and believe in at least some god who his helping us in any way, even if we don't get all we want, that person is ok by me. Why push some beliefs on someone and then that person loses all his faiths because it didn't work for him?

What i really hate is when someone tries to push someone to abandon his beliefs with any excuses he can find in the old testament or try to say that it's impossible that X or Y fact has happened or that god was really bad at that time. There is enough bad in this world, it's not worth much to push people to lose their faith in any god, any good man can do. Not pointing at you misspickle, that's not why i quoted you.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I understand why you quoted me.

Thats the thing though- people who havent had a religion in their lifes could not know what having religion in their lifes is like- take me, i have never ever had religion of any form in my life so thats why i believe what i believe and also the fact that my mum is into spirtulism( which i suppose is a religion).

My grandma was brought up as a strict Catholic- i mean very strict and she was lovely.

I think the thought of a religion is nice and kinda comforting because their are others around with the same beliefes- like a community!!

I have no idea whether i have just babbled on- and i dont thing you have picked on me!!

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dlbrandt

I have to differ with you. God is the writer of the Bible.

It is here that I have to differ with you. God is not the writer of the BIble in any way, shape, or form. God did not sit down at his iMac, type up the big book, and FedEx it to us!

You might say "God INSPIRED the writers of the bible, so in a sense, he wrote it. Not true. Trust me, weed and '___' has probably inspired alot more works of literature, but no one is holding those substances as a divine entity.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I completly agree with you scat- the bible is just a story book- some man or woman just happend to have a wild imagination or like you said some mind altering drug was involved!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join