It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you hate the God of the Bible?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
mrq

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I just had a scary thought... (most of them are
)

What if God takes 2000 year long naps, and is about to wake up from one?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by dlbrandt
That certainly wasn't ranting. I want to know reasons and I'm going to try to answer every question, that's why I'm doing this.

And that, in a nutshell, is why people grow to strongly dislike the Christian deity.

Look at what you've just done: You set up a "simple question" in order to "find out." Then you say you're going to "try to answer every question" -- in other words, to convert us.

[edit on 1-7-2004 by Byrd]

No, if that was my motive I would tell you. I believe some people have the wrong idea of who the God of the Bible is. I want to find out their view of Him. Then give them the flipside, and they can take it or leave it.

For example, alot of people view God through the crusades. The crusades were man's idea to promote christianity. Just because God let it happen, some assume it was OK with Him.

God has let me do alot of stupid things that weren't right. He lets some bad things happen for examples to us and to ingrain them in us so we learn and hopefully don't do them again.

Now I started this topic because I believe it's a good dicussion and of course I believe in the God of The Bible. I can't talk about something I don't believe in. Does this mean that instantly I expect everyone to believe in what I do. Of course not, I'm giving out information that I believe is lacking.

This isn't directed toward you and it's not meant to be snotty, but if this is an aggravating subject to someone, it's simple don't come to this topic and respond. I'm not making anybody talk.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
mrq

hmm....I have a vision that's becoming clearer...

Someone have a magic 8 ball?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

yes! It says..."Eat the chocolate now..."

sorry, I bought the easter version 8 ball

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I knew this was going to come in handy someday.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I haven't read the bible except for snippets. My impression is that the God of the bible is tempermental and capricious. A real self-centric ego maniac. The argument that God gave you your free will and now wants you to surrender it back is stupidly illogical. He treats Job like a f___ing doormat.

I look at the world around me, I see pain and suffering, he does nothing. The people who claim to be his followers are not uncommonly themselves the creators of more suffering.

I like that song by Bette Midler, From a distance, God is watching us. It is like black-comedy, he is watching from the distance that the planet is a pretty blue marble. He seems to have no clue (probably high as a kite). And when you finally meet him and ask what he was doing, he will answer fliply "things".

Jesus seems like a good guy, a little headstrong, but with his heart in the right place. He might win me as a convert to him, but the God of the Bible can quite frankly go to hell. I have no use for him/it.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leigon

[/quote

Well let em get this correct as i have been out of yhe God loop for a while.

You said that God had nothing to do with it?

Didnt jesus die for everyones sins? If so then he died for this guys sin of whatever it was. If he did die for this guys sin then God new and allowed it to happen. I thought he was a just and fair God.

She might have meant God didn't tell them to do it.

I agree with your point. God died for every sin so He knows about every sin. That does mean He either causes or allows everything. Not because He can't prevent it but because for some reason He chooses not to. Like I said before I can't give an answer to all the "why" questions. On the flipside think of all the things we will find out He did prevent from happening, when we see Him face to face.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
To me, jesus was a man, and the God in the bible was made up by a bunch of cynical men who hated women.

Jesus, to me, wasno more than a man, a human being. i do believe he existed,but i dont believe he is in fact "GOD!" Its almost rude to human beigns because someone that pure and nice couldnt possibly be a human.

to me, god is fair and just...but according to the bible, god sure does come off like a d***!

women get the SAME EXACT commandment as a mans pots and pans! "thou shall not covet thy neighbors goods....thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife."

DAG! for women everywhere, im sorry.for myself, id like to say to god- dag, those guys made you seem like an a**!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

No, if that was my motive I would tell you. I believe some people have the wrong idea of who the God of the Bible is. I want to find out their view of Him. Then give them the flipside, and they can take it or leave it.

We already know your "flipside" view. Every single one of us has already met 10 of you. 10 other Christians that force feed us this same line everytime we tell them to kindly shove it. It's the same every time, "I wanted to get your opinion, and then tell you the truth!"

That fact that you say "I believe some people have the wrong idea of who the God of the Bible is." and in the same breath say "Then give them the flipside, and they can take it or leave it. " is contridictory.

Its like you're saying "You're wrong, and I'll tell you the truth but you can take it or leave it." ... think about that one.

I see this all the time on message boards. I have no offense to you personally, but your beliefs in religion arent mine. The problem with Christians is it really urks them that not everyone has the same beliefs. And you'll spend your entire life trying to convert everyone you meet that doesnt swallow the 'God will smite you!" christian nonsense instead of enjoying your religion and knowing God loves you.

God Loves me, and I love God. I know he exists. The sooner people realize that God exists no matter what religion you are, the better off we all are.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
good for you r!

heres a quote you m ight like:
"the only problem with christianity is the christians!"

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

God Loves me, and I love God. I know he exists. The sooner people realize that God exists no matter what religion you are, the better off we all are.

There's plenty of people who believe in God and are not far better off, and I think history is repleat with such examples, not that I deny your faith, but just for the case of arguement

[edit on 7/1/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrq
I see the bible (any and all versions) as a collection of historical accounts (sometimes accurate) which does teach a few, simple lessons that, if practiced, could make the world a better place. (This does not include those really weird and twisted books which say it's okay to own slaves and/or kill people...ahem.)
As for "Do I hate G(g)od?"... how can I hate what I don't know? There's a lot of 'ifs'... such as... If G(g)od does exist, and is such a loving creator, how could he/she/it allow such suffering? why send a soul to eternal damnation if he or she is truly loved, even if sinful? Of course I would be angry if the Supreme Being could help out and chose not to. But there's no evidence for it either way...so why waste the energy on hating what I don't know?
And please, while I respect every person's right to their own opinion wholeheartedly, please please don't anyone tell me, "If you want proof of God, all you have to do is look around you." Proof of Chaos, maybe. Proof of God...I hope not.

Be well.
-mrq

This is one of the things I would like to discuss. I used to think if something was in the Bible it was OK with God. That's not the case. Slavery is not OK with God. He did allow it, why I don't know the answer everybody wants to hear. But it's not because He couldn't prevent it. He did allow it to happen.

When the Israelites were taken out of slavery they were told "When you go into the promised land, don't take slaves and do that to others, because you didn't like when it was done to you".(my own paraphrase)
But guess what, they did it to. I guess God might be showing us our nature. We don't listen well and after a few years pass we forget and think we can do what we want. And we think about ourselves first.

As far as the killing people groups. I had a hard time with that one too. One of the reasons was the nephilim thing which is discussed in other topics. Another reason is this. Since the fall of man people kept getting farther and farther from God. He chose Abraham to reveal himself to. This lead to Issac then Jacob then those He took out of Egypt. They were to be different than the rest of the world. They were to have Him as their God. In return, obeying would bring blessing. God can't and won't bless disobedience. Other nations would see this blessing and would want to know their God too. Before they went into the promised land He did tell them to wipe out entire nations. If they didn't they would eventually be drawn to the ways of these other nations.

Stand on a chair and have another adult stand on the floor beside you. You're on the chair, try to lift them up on the chair with one hand. It's hard to do and most of the time it can't be done. Now have them try to pull you down to the floor with one hand in yours. It's very easy to pull them down to the floor. The lesson is it's harder to lift someone up than it is for them to bring you down. That's what happens spiritually too. So that is the reason He told them to destroy other nations. He knew they would do what the other nations did and turn and serve other "gods". They didn't wipe out all the other nations that He commanded and eventually He wiped them out from being a nation and they were dispersed throughout the world for 2000 years.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

A big reason I dont like Christianity is, first of all, the prejudice and exclusion christians deal out, but also fear. They fear their God, what?!?! I cant stand that. Why dont i like the god in the bible? because its cowardly to fear someone you love.

When it says we are to fear God, it means christians are to reverence Him. To respect Him as you stated. To realize who He is. And The God of the Bible does love women and men the same.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dlbrandt[/i
Stand on a chair and have another adult stand on the floor beside you. You're on the chair, try to lift them up on the chair with one hand. It's hard to do and most of the time it can't be done. Now have them try to pull you down to the floor with one hand in yours. It's very easy to pull them down to the floor. The lesson is it's harder to lift someone up than it is for them to bring you down. That's what happens spiritually too.

No offense dude, but that totally soundslike a game you played at church camp. hahahhaha!

but seriosuly though, m had a point, with all the suffering, its very hard to believe. however, in one of the books that the vatican council didnt put in the bible (dont quote me on this, i might be wrong, it might actually be in there) it actually says something along the lines of on of the apostles asking god,"dude, if youre all loving, why are you condemning these people to hell?" and god replies," because once their sins are payed for, they will join me in heaven, but shhhhh, dont tell anybody, its a secret dude!"

obviously, im paraphrasing

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dlbrandt

When it says we are to fear God, it means christians are to reverence Him. To respect Him as you stated. To realize who He is. And The God of the Bible does love women and men the same.

no...it really doesnt. if you listen to your youth minister, then yes we are all children of god. but if you read the bible, which is what we are talking about (not the "todays teenage bible: filled with awesome comics and fun ways to celebrate god!", im talkin king james) woman is EVIL. why? because...ahem...HISTORICALLY, in the time period in which the bible was written, women werenot equal. women were not human, women were slaves. just as blacks were slaves to to us and ot seen as human, but property. the same went for women.

and if we are willing to change out the modern day meanings of words for the olden days, as in when they say "fear" they really mean, in modern laguage "revere"...then why dont we do it to all the words eh? thatd take a mighty long time. and hwo knows, shakespeare's metaphors are hard, imagine Gods!

*****we need a religion mud pit, because this could get nasty! hahahhah****

[edit on 7-1-04 by Scat]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I personally don't hate deities, no matter whose deity from what book.

I acknowledge all religions, and do as best as I can to refrain from judging people who follow any religion that is not mine.

However, I do harbor a strong dislike towards the televangelists who blame the problems of the world on all who do not believe as they do. I also strongly dislike anyone who feels that part of celebrating their faith is chastizing anyone who doesn't.

Many times, it's not the deity that is disliked, it is the deity's mortal mouthpieces.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

However, I do harbor a strong dislike towards the televangelists who blame the problems of the world on all who do not believe as they do.

Not to mention adding the line, "And that's why we need YOUR money" every 20 seconds.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
I dont think thats what mute means, but then again, i might be wrong. to me, when i think of a closeminded god i think of "Fear me!" and "If you dont accept Jesus youre going to hell!" (obviously not taken directly from the bible, haha) I see that as VERY close mided, and in fact, cruel. Ialways ask my friends, say you die before me and youre in heaven because you love jesus, would you sit there in silence as i am cast into the flames? thats a heartclencher

By fearing the Lord a christian is to reverence and give Him the respect God deserves.

I'm sure that people in heaven do talk to God about their friends. I know I would. I also pray for them here and now. There's a part in Revelation where it says the prayers of the saints are opened and they(the prayers) come up before God. This tells me that God answers every prayer that is in His will. Just because I don't hear an answer for years doesn't mean it won't be answered. God answers prayers 3 ways, yes, no and wait.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrq
I just had a scary thought... (most of them are
)

What if God takes 2000 year long naps, and is about to wake up from one?

What if His patience lasts 2000 years before he responds?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join