It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred toward American Kids in online games

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I pulled the plug on the online and multiplayer chat games real quick in my house. Sure there were some things as are mentioned in the OP.. but the things I heard grown men saying to my daughter made my hair stand on end. More perving on there than playing or terrorizing IMO. Blech..
Anonymity on these games gives the pervs a great open door into your home.. and access to your kids. I have 17, 12, and 5 yr old girls. The things I read that people say to them ( not the 5 yr old yet) everywhere online is really proof that female children have a huge target on their foreheads and the adult men are pretty gross and bold since they THINK they are anonymous. Scary stuff. Since this is just what they have in theri heads even if they arent hidden behind a computer, Ive used some of it as a teaching experience for the girls.. how to deal with the pervs they will encounter in real life. WHen your 17 yr old realizes the guy that just said some seriously raunchy crap to them could be their neighbor or the nice teacher at school... it teaches them to be wary, observe, and be on guard against what lurks in the mids of "normal" folks.

I wont even get into the garbage on myspace and facebook between children and adults, between the kids themselves, or between enemies. Its a brave new world out there that my generation didnt have to deal with and develop skills for.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

There is actually a US program (forget the name) which has been watching the activity of online gamers in various games for years. The first time I heard of it was in like 2006 while playing WoW. If you're looking for a better game for your children to play then try Runes of Magic(Free to download and play). I've played for alittle while and have seen no one talking like that. Infact most people on that game keep to themselves. World of Warcraft is another good game because the gms actually do their jobs and all reports made are looked over thoroughly. (Another good game thats free is battle of immortals.)

With that said I hope you and your family are able to find a game to fill the void.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

I should have been a bit clearer. Talking "smack" is a time honored tradition in all games, not just on line. It's when it becomes impersonal over the internet that it can take a turn for the malicious.

In real life, like on the ball court, there's a line you don't cross, lest you incur the wrath of the insulted. Bloody noses soon teach you the boundries...

As long as that same sort of "bloody nose" reminder is utilized on the internet gaming scene, I don't see why, save in isolated instances it would become a problem.

But it's still a bit disturbing.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused

Originally posted by Faiol
when your country stops raping people an destroying homes, maybe you will have the right to complain

Lol that is a lot of what is said in the game.
You are a prime example .

Why would you say such hateful thing's?
I nor anyone i know goes around raping people and stealing home's.
and yes i am my country..
But just cause OUR GOVERNMENT does stuff you don't like doesn't mien you take it out on every United sates citizen.

I must be old fashioned cause if i ever said talked to people this way growing up i would have got backhanded.

What would this guy's post have to do with a video game?
Absolutely nothing.
Because i am a American citizen i have no right to speak...cause of what my government does.
well good day.
and i am glad i brought a little of the League of legend community with me to flame the thread lol
God it is a game not to be used as a political tool.

edit on 29-11-2010 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

I'm guessing that Faiol is one of the punks we are talking about here. Just a wild hunch

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Thankfully we haven't encountered this problem online with our kids. And as parents we do have to monitor what our kids are doing, where they are going ect..

My husband plays COD (all forms) as well as the kids, but he has hand picked the servers they play on, and usually he knows at least a few players that are online all the time.
Before we let the boys play online and with the PS3 we gave them a stern talking to regarding online behavior and told them we have "eyes and ears" out there and they will report any naughty behavior by them (works like a total charm!) Thankfully they have behaved while playing online... or Momma would have had their butts in a sling! I also tend to "wander" about and keep an eye and ear open to what they are doing.

COD used to have some really good servers that were geared for kids, and one that the boys belonged to, they were teachers and said right off the bat, if your grades are not up to snuff.. out you go. I have always told the boys that make no mistake, I will go online and post of that forum stating why you are no longer playing (due to grades), they thought I was full of hot air, until another parent did this with their child. (ahh evviill genius at work and I didn't even have to lift a finger LOL)

OP, since your daughter is only 10, I would like to suggest Runescape. We had really good luck with that game, and never had a problem with it. Or perhaps letting her only play the console or PC version of games. That way you can really monitor things until she is old enough to handle things like this. And I also give you major kudos for keeping an eye on things with her.

It is a much different World we live in now, the "smack talk" goes way beyond the playground or neighborhood now.. and as Parents we are such newbies to the way things are now vs the way things were when we were growing up.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
To the OP:

A paying alternative for League of Legends is "Heroes of Newerth" known as HON. They should have stricter chat rules and is a better game anyway

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
FFXI is a good choice as well.. Although it takes a certain type of person to get into it..

But the people there while not always kind don't tend to be vulgar.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'd seriously recommend going for a Pay-to-Play online game, P2P instead of F2P. The quality is leaps and bounds over their "free" counterparts (not really free, look up the term "cash-shops"). The customer service is almost always better, and the communities while not considered "mature" by any stretch of the imagination, they are quite more so than the "free" game communities.

It requires research as a parent. That's your responsibility. You wouldn't just drop your

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by Helmkat

I should have been a bit clearer. Talking "smack" is a time honored tradition in all games, not just on line. It's when it becomes impersonal over the internet that it can take a turn for the malicious.

That's true you should try playing backgammon with a Greek.
The names they call you if you roll a double 6 are unrepeatable!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Knowing some fellows from Greece, I can well imagine...

Try darts in an Anchorage bar, after several, as in lots, of shots... I'm amazed we lived through the night.

Ah, memories...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
From my experience playing Americans online and why the rest of the world gets p&ssied off with you is..because...i'm from the UK by the way but, please just take that foot off the lag switch..and stop cheating. Thank You

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

The bad teeth references make me laugh..especially in family guy!

The female of the north american species doesn't seem to mind my 'british' (- lol) accent

And luckly my teeth grew in perfectly straight after getting most of my milk teeth knocked out playing junior rugby.

I say old chap.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
I pulled the plug on the online and multiplayer chat games real quick in my house. Sure there were some things as are mentioned in the OP.. but the things I heard grown men saying to my daughter made my hair stand on end. More perving on there than playing or terrorizing IMO. Blech..
Anonymity on these games gives the pervs a great open door into your home.. and access to your kids. I have 17, 12, and 5 yr old girls. The things I read that people say to them ( not the 5 yr old yet) everywhere online is really proof that female children have a huge target on their foreheads and the adult men are pretty gross and bold since they THINK they are anonymous. Scary stuff. Since this is just what they have in theri heads even if they arent hidden behind a computer, Ive used some of it as a teaching experience for the girls.. how to deal with the pervs they will encounter in real life. WHen your 17 yr old realizes the guy that just said some seriously raunchy crap to them could be their neighbor or the nice teacher at school... it teaches them to be wary, observe, and be on guard against what lurks in the mids of "normal" folks.

I wont even get into the garbage on myspace and facebook between children and adults, between the kids themselves, or between enemies. Its a brave new world out there that my generation didnt have to deal with and develop skills for.

What because some weirdo stated something innapropriate to your daughter that makes everyone a pervert, I dont think so, I think your letting your imagination run riot and then getting judgemental and unrealistic.

Sure there some real stupid comments made and there are some weirdo's but c'mon lets not start over reaching ourselves with opinions that dont add up.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
It happens a lot in online games.

As a Brit iv had yanks on xbox live tell me to go get my teeth sorted austin powers! and call me harry potter and go get some tea and scones.

I just take it as a joke, nothing to get upset about, they give you some crap about where your from and you give em some back. We had it here in England amongst our selves with people from the north calling people from the south(well they are southern fairy's) and vis versa.

It realy is nothing to make a big deal out of imo unless you want to make it a big deal.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join