It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred toward American Kids in online games

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Oh, being a long time "multi player" I'll give you some thoughts:

Why multi player???
If he plays with his mum then it means he's too young for multi player. I would NEVER expose my kid to multiplayer games. Trust me when I say (from my 10+ years experience) that common note saying "Multi player experience may differ..." is there for a purpose, nuff' said for any parent to think twice. Adults like to socialize through MP games but kids should not, they need real friends before they can chose to make friends with someone who could just as well be an AI bot. Are single player games not enough any more? Have we stooped so low that even our kids cannot be entertained by something as simple as say "Super Mario" or "Sonic"?

Do you know what he plays?
I didn't like when my father looked at my games and what I play when I was a kid but I understood it when I found out what kind of games exist. Back then it was Doom, Postal, GTA, now its Second Life, GTA
, COD and zillions of free psychedelic internet games not even worth mentioning. These are not for kids, period. There are so so many great games out there that there is absolutely no reason for your kid to play some free MMORPG with paedophile and human trafficking gangs. I am not even going to recommend a MP game since he's obviously too young. If he likes RPGs there is NWN, NWN2, Magic&Mayhem, HOMM, Dragon Age... well, games from Bioware alone are enough for a lifetime of gaming really (and they all have nice "free" MP as well).

All that said, when he's old enough he'll either see that being so open about your nationality is not a good idea or he'll become same as those who harassed him, an ultranationalist with no life lurking in dark corners of the internet with "CaptainAmericaUSPWNS" nickname bravely defending his national identity... or lack thereof. Until then I recommend you change your firewall settings for his own good. Also I was told quite disturbing things about my own nationality so I can imagine what effect it can have on a clueless child. Frankly I would not want my child to base his ideas about world on a video game where 80% of people are complete morons.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about internet trolls assassinating politicians. Some people have a full time job to be complete idiots and internet allows them to greatly excel in their important duties. As for that particular game I reckon you added it to anti-virus black list already
. Problem solved - happy gaming.
edit on 29/11/2010 by SassyCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I call it fair game. American kids (and adults) bash the living hell out of Arabs or anyone from the Middle East in games and beyond.

It's the internet. Don't like it? Don't let your kid on it.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Yeah I would recommend Eve-online aswell more structureed and intelligent game with players of a older age group.

Also I'm aware of the flame war against Americans that has raged on YouTube and other sites, especially UK and US. I have had to point out in the past to both sides that the people who start the baiting are for the majority muslim and asian and so have an agenda to cause bad relations.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

I would avoid doing that if I were you. This is not a joke, if the persons stating this ARE afilliated with terrorist groups, they will trace your ip and put out a hit on you (NO JOKE) if you insult mohammed.

When I did interrogations and analysis down at GTMO we had to regularly check ourselves on Google and wear tape over any identifying markers to make sure they hadn't gotten our families names and put out hits on them and us.

I really do not recommend saying anything like this unless you are confident that it cannot be traced back to you.

Jaden

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Originally posted by theboarman
i have played alot of online games and this is normal

That's kind of sad, don't you think?

A very sad statement on our times...

There are games that are better monitored and with built in filters for profanity. Some degree of smack talk goes on in any competitive enviroment. However when speech becomes hateful and stalking etc. occurs a well run game has measures to handle the offenders.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American
reply to post by TheAmused

Whens the last time European youth spilled there blood on my land becuase the men of my country were too weak to do it themselves.

Congratulations!

You just won the 'Arrogant American Idiot Award' for this incredibly ignorant statement!

Well done!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I don't even bother to use my headset on COD and other similar games.... the amount of arguing, racism and xenophobic language that is bandied about is just ridiculous.

If me and a few mates play together then fine, I'll use my headset... but you can almost guarantee that someone will pipe up about British fags or the Queen or teeth.... and then It'll be "yeah and you're fat and eat burgers" and blah blah blah......and so on..... have had some very funny arguments.... the first few times on modern warfare in 07 were kinda fun.... but then it just gets silly.... 9/11 and other such things.... It's actually pretty sick.... the N-bomb is pretty popular among people on there too....

And I literally cannot play the game with that noise going on.... so for a long time now, I haven't used my headset... I just have my tunes on.

Then I don't play as much as I did last year and so on anyway.

edit on 29/11/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think at least 80% of the gaming community is crap in their own way... I'm from US but I have to admit I hate everyone equally, I play online gaming a lot and believe me it is a chore in itself to find like minded mature people to play with.... Not to say we don't fool around sometimes but we rarely ever talk trash to anybody unless of course they've been obviously cheating or exploiting things in game..
As far as console gaming goes with an online shooter the most mature team based community I found so far has and hopefully will always be on Socom..

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Dude, I don’t get it, why would you choose character name as” American” in online gaming universe..??

Looking for trouble..??

How those guys from Iran or Israel would feel and react when they pop in to gaming communities with character name as Israeli or Iranian..??

How about Muslim character..??

Stop whining, that’s the rules of the game and try to live with it or else leave it alone!

Simple as that..

The time that everyone on this planet “respected the Americans blindly” is OVER since lies of “war on terror”…

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It could be the name of the forum poster (Not our OP) American, is sort of a name that's looking for trouble.
Also it could be a cultural thing, Asians and Russians are heavy into farming (Repetitively doing the same thing for in-game money or materials). They often turn around and sell that in-game money for their own currency, when the item sells in dollar or euro everyone in that biz including the gamer can make a living.

Americans seem to be the heaviest of all the cultures into PVP (Player vurses player).
This causes a lot of hate, I've also noticed the most mature and well learned in and out of the game world players; are often leet speaking, crude, and ruthless people. Once I got to know them I found out it's almost an act to keep from making less than par in-game friends.

Also calling another player a smelly elf is just not good enough, real life race, culture and personal insults make for better fighting words.

I know I'm more cultural intolerant toward Asians in video games, I thoroughly enjoy killing and taunting farmers that can't quite speak correctly. I do this because I feel like it helps the in-game economy.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

What do you expect from a free to play game? (you know you get what you pay for) I bet most of these kids could care less about politics, their fun is in just getting you all ticked off... if you must let your kids play online games there are much better communities out there like the world of warcraft community, sure its like $12.99 a month but you don't have to deal with any of this....

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I've never quite understood the whole talking to people during an online game thing, I've always assumed it would be full of teenagers abusing each other so I've never bothered to try.

Is it actually ever any fun?

I sound old...

Get off my lawn....

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

It can be fun, I say always keep a headset for backup just in case you run into someone or a clan you can feel comfortable with.... It feels rewarding sometimes being in a squad of teammates who help you out or have your back if an enemy is around... If you are a competitive player a headset is a must, If you are just casual It's probably not even worth it.....

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
I dont think that its a form of terrorism, but I have seen it myself on the 360. I am a female and when I want I play first person shooters. I keep my mic off because I dont want to be picked on, but I have been on with friends that have black characters and they have been called all kinds of names (that I cannot mention here) but its vulgar.

It is an open forum and not supervised. You can either leave, or complain, but to get it to stop will be a challenge in itself.

Peace, NRE.

Call of Duty much??

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Yeah there's a pretty strong hatred towards just about anyone foreign really..

In FFXI I managed to be one of the few people that Japnese players are willing to play with because I speak their language well enough to undersand what they are saying if they use basic polite language.

But I've been cussed out by Europeans, for a number of things... At the end of the day. What do I do?

I shoot them in the head

I don't let it bother me.. internet conversation is usually just a mass of insults, and even a place that's supposed to be civilized like ATS that still happens.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

It is pretty much as you'd think mate.... if there are a few of you (you and some mates) then It's worth talking as you can plan moves and strategies and discuss tactics and so on.... or just talk bollocks... whatever you like.

But if you're just going on for a few games by yourself, there's no point because all you hear is either arguing... or whiny little f*****s who shouldn't even be playing the game.... It's rated 18 FFS.

Get off my lawn too

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

I don't know why but being anonymous and interacting with no repercussions turns people into idiots.

I'm kinda glad I never got into that stuff.

You didn't ?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The League of Legends homepage clearly states the ESRB is TEEN. Why are you letting your 10 year old play in the first place?

Racism/harrasment/trolling happens in about 90% of all online games. Find a few decent people and play with them, if you don't like the atmosphere of the server then join a different one. At the end of the day it's a GAME, it's an escape from reality, a good portion of the trolls would never be like that in real life. Accept what online gaming entails or you will never enjoy it.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yea, League of Legends.

I spent about a week playing that awhile ago, with some real life friends. People really have a low threshold for new or young players, as the mechanics of the game generally require everyone to do their part to defeat the other team. If one player is a youth or newbie, they can cause their team to lose. I am shocked that people went as far you reported with threats.

In my first three games, I was called out and told I suck, quit now, aweful... yadda yadda. I'm a 27 year old working adult gamer... I usually call them out on their hostilities, it can be a very childish game. This game just will drawl the worst players because it is both free and targeted at angst youth between 13-20's who can't afford a online subscription.
edit on 29-11-2010 by wonderboy2402 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
To topic creator: WELCOME TO THE INTERNET! I assume that this is the first time you are most likely using it. Enjoy your stay. Nothing new here if you don't like what people are saying ignore them. People make fun of other people on the "internet" and we call those people "trolls". "trolls" make fun of other people on the internet and aggravate other people on the internet for fun. Yes the do it for the laughs. They want to see you miserable.

Usually at the beginning screen it says "Online Play Unrated" or "online play is unrated by esrb" or something along the lines of that.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join