It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred toward American Kids in online games

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Ahh yes, League of Legends. I play this game. Its a Defense of the Ancients clone. Being free it attracts a lot of people, most of them being young kids, and most of them love to talk s***. Since it is all online they don't feel guilt or accountability for anything they say so they can say whatever they want to you in order to get a rise out of you. These kind of DoTA-esq games are notorious for having elitist little jerks. That is what the /ignore feature is for. It works during the match and out, if you ignore them on the in game friends list you wont see them again in any matches. I think right now my ignore list is longer than my friends list. Its not that these kids are terrorists per-se, they're just terrors. There's been a large decline of discipline amongst parents this generation and I think that leads to some of the smart mouthing.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
well we in the uk do slag americans all the time but it isnt a one way street, i play call of duty series of games and im scottish and i take offence on americans slagging me off for not speaking proper english, which is a lot off rubbish seein as how we spoke english before you even had a country, secondly cyber bullieing is taken very serious in the uk to the piont of mybe going to jail.So this is a poor post that realy you dont have a leg to stand on as americans are not the only ones being bullied and if im not mistaken you americans make up the biggest proportion of gamers per country.So if you want to turn this into an America Vs The World keep on goin cos thats what it sounds like.

Sticks and Stones remember that before you go online and even more so if your letting kids online

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Well, I wonder why everyone says those things.......? I haven't been to the 'States' in 33 years. I am Canadian,
When I was there, long ago, I had a riot, it was an AWESOME place in the 70's. With the advent of the internet,
strangely, I have also noticed a VERY common vehemence to America, even from within' Times are a changin'

peace, love, intelligence, empathy, and compassion, The Philster

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Yeah, I am Canadian, and I get the random American S# talking me, and I wont lie i talk back. Usually some 18 year old that keeps dieing from my pwnness.

I play Black Ops online, and usually its an alright conversation talking to people. Some really get out of hand.

Making fun of any nationality is easy, and it happens of all nationalities when play MMORPG, FPS, or what have you.

When your in a group of people, and you screw up, or you keep killing someone, they tend to get pissed and start to single you out.

When people are given the amazing opportunity to verbally abuse someone with absolutely no consequence, you will find the nasty will take advantage of it. The ones with honor and respect give others what they want in return.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I suppose it depends on the game you choose. Personally, all those free-to-play asian script kiddie grind fest games are cookie-cutter repetitive and unappealing anyway. Try Lord of the Rings Online. It just went FTP, and has probably the most impressive (DX11) graphics and friendly community in an MMO.

Or you could check out FFXIV, if you want an example of not just players but actual developers who hate not just Americans, but their entire player base, evidenced by the sadistic design strategies they employ!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The last MMORPG type game I played was final fantasy 11. The japanese used to hate playing with most americans, because they like to level like robots lol. I used to love partying up with the japanese, leveling up for like 4 hours a night, everyone knew wtf they were doing, and the japanese used to love partying with my ninja, cuz I knew how to tank proper with it, at least until rampage and that badass one rangers used to get, I forget what it was called, been too long :p
edit on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 06:39:52 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I've played fps games on the 360 for years but a year ago I've stoped completely. Not because of foreign hecklers but because of the pure vile hatred coming out of these kids online. Take a listen if you ever get a chance. Its pretty shocking what americans kids are saying to eachother. Its not just trash talking. To borrow a quote from the simpsons, it stuff that should be heard only from satan himself while sitting on the toilet. I've heard kids threaten to physicaly rape another.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

The web has really revolutionized our lives, most of the time its for the better. One issue that has gone haywire is the chat forums, comment sections, hell even ATS. When you don't have to look at someone in the eye, or see them in anyway, its so incredibly easy to spew hatred.

Look what its done for religon, there is an 'internet holy war' going on as well. Its awful, but most of the posts here are correct. Just ignore them, change your name, whatever it takes. It does not matter where you are from. I am Canadian, and not immune to garbarge talk.

I'm just really sorry your kids have to witness this crap.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
i have played alot of online games and this is normal

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
To the OP,

Yea it's all about the "Projected Power of Anonymity" as I like to call it. Players from everywhere will typically think that because it's through a game, and their real information is kept private, that this supposed Anonymity gives them the ability to do vulgar things, say vulgar things, and commit acts of obvious hate towards not just any race, but any stereotype they can target.

XboX 360 first-person-shooters are notorious for this, and I've also played this league of legends before, so I know what you mean when you mentioned the behavior you encountered.

As much as I would suggest playing an MMO that's subscription based, as some are alot more secure in keeping the peace, and even have chat filters so you can block most of the words you don't want your kid to be reading in a chat window. I know not all families can afford an extra 15.00 a month dragging them down, so the choice is yours really, but if you sacrafice, let's say, eating out 2 times less in a month, that usually covers the bill.

I know it sucks mate, that this goes on typically unpunished accross internet games but if things keep going the way they are, perhaps the internet will become a lot more policed in astrict fashion we both might hate (give em an inch, they take a mile. kinda deal).

If only these kids new how easy it was for a company to suddenly give out your I.P. Address to info-collectors, data-farmers, or government bodies, they might think twice about telling people to commit terrorist acts or threatening someone's family online. And that's just if a more positive force was to get their info... imagine some psychopath with a few years experience of hacking servers... then you might have a bigger problem on your hand when you insult someone who isn't the of the most stable mind.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENTJa

It is very shocking to say the least what american children are saying, but lets not forget that it isnt just american children, its all children from around the world that are equally just as bad as each other, id also like to piont out that them being online is not the problem and to a lesser extent the games might not be too blame but i think thier entire enviroment from the time they wake up till they go to bed has the biggest effect, you need to think off all the outside factors that put this programming into your kids head in the first place ,when you do that i think you might better understand why kids are the way they are,

Ask yourself is this just a coincedance that kids through out history have genrealy been well behaved and now they are through the last 20 yrs become crazy and hatefull, i think not and i think its delibrate

Hatred toward American Kids in online games and kids round the world is just a symptom

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
The last MMORPG type game I played was final fantasy 11. The japanese used to hate playing with most americans, because they like to level like robots lol. I used to love partying up with the japanese, leveling up for like 4 hours a night, everyone knew wtf they were doing, and the japanese used to love partying with my ninja, cuz I knew how to tank proper with it, at least until rampage and that badass one rangers used to get, I forget what it was called, been too long :p
edit on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 06:39:52 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

many seam to forget that its Massively multiplayer online ROLE-PLAYING GAME - mmorpg

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
This is just disgusting and makes me sick. It is amazing how degraded humans are today. I would not just recommend to ignore. I would refuse to allow my children to associate with such people who obviously have no moral compass. I applaud you for uninstalling said game OP. I too have a couple of children and have run across the unsavory behavior of the online gaming community when I tried getting online and playing a couple of games they like playing. I was literally blow away at how many cyber-bullies there are. I now keep my children protected far away from any strangers online.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KDM_Souljah
So this is a poor post that realy you dont have a leg to stand on as americans are not the only ones being bullied and if im not mistaken you americans make up the biggest proportion of gamers per country.So if you want to turn this into an America Vs The World keep on goin cos thats what it sounds like.

Actually, China has the largest online gaming community.

"Online gaming in China represents one of the largest and fasted growing Internet business sectors in the country. With 308 million Internet users currently active in the PRC, the country now has the largest online user base in world, of which two-thirds engage in online game play."

The OP may have been about Americans being harassed online, but it applies to any country. It doesn't matter what country you reside. It doesn't make it right to degrade anyone simply because you do not have to look them in the eye. It has nothing to do with "America Vs The World" as you said.
edit on 29-11-2010 by RichieScott1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Well its no surprise , you should try playing the game Insurgency ( half life 2 mod)

You can imagine the goings on in that game when there are actual terrorists vs american troops in the game , with calls of allah akbhar and the like
the american players take it tight.

It should ruin your gaming experience , these companies do have measures in place for reproting online abuse , make sure you use them and report the users who abuse the terms and conditions
they will get their IP banned

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I have played Everquest, City of Heroes and World of Warcraft...

Can't say I've ever seen anything like this there.

Basically if you don't like the community of the game-leave.

As a parent I applaud you for monitoring your childs online experience.

edit on 29-11-2010 by Helmkat because: darn spelling-its a curse!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamenie
at that point if someone said we are happy the twin towers are down i would say well im happy that Muhammad is a piece of crap fake imposter

You mean that dude on a flying horse ??

Christ dude they promised he was the real deal ! bastard liars eh?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

How old are your children?
I see you mentioned that your daughter is under 10 and the game itself has a 13+ age limit, so as it is only a guide and not a law that your child should be 13+, don't you think that you should have been more alert as to an age appropriate game for your children?
Whilst I can sympathise with you about the harrasment, these games are played by people who like to win and usually will do anything to get the upper hand.

I am not attacking you as a parent, but as parents we should all be vigilant to see what our children are playing or watching.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm somewhat bemused, and I suppose sadly in a way amused, by this. We'll tolerate this sort of behaviour online, that we'd never in a thousand years tolerate said to us on the street.

Civility is, by all appearances, a dying notion. Online games were/are, or so I thought, for fun. When did fun become denigrating a fellow player? Calling him/her names. Or asking him/her to do unbelievable things? This is fun?

Really?

I used to play alot of pickup ball, before my knees decided they'd had enough of that sort of nonsense, and of course there's a certain amount of smack thrown down...but, there's a line you daren't cross, unless of course you enjoy shedding your own blood...

Reading some of the attitudes expressed in this thread makes me kind of glad I've ignored, and been ignored by, the online gaming craze.

I don't have any kids, much less any that play on line games, day by day, I'm kinda glad I don't...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by theboarman
i have played alot of online games and this is normal

That's kind of sad, don't you think?

A very sad statement on our times...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join