It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks "pre-document release primer" by 'The Nation'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This article makes a very good point about why this leak is so critical to the government.

In laymens terms this reminds me of work-place politics. You have "the boss" (USA) who has people he likes and people he doesn't like. He always lets the people he likes (Israel, UK, Saudi Arabia, etc) off early, doesn't worry if they call in sick or take unschedled vacation and promotes them as much as he can.

There are people he doesn't like, however (Cuba, Iran, Syria). These guys can't catch a break, and the boss is always yelling at them, making them work late and try to demote them or get the fired.

There are also people who the boss pretends to like but really doesn't (China, Canada). And these guys are on the same level as the boss. When they hear about what the boss did behind their back, he's going to have alot of problems coming his way.

Link

Usually, when a WikiLeaks document dump is in the offering, US officials play like it could not possibly matter.

"More of the same," "nothing new," "just a repeat of what everyone was already aware of": these have been the standard lines.

But not this time. Washington is abuzz with Holiday weekend talk about how officials at the White House, the Department of Defense and the State Department are "holding their breath" in troubled anticipation of an imminent release of thousands of classified documents by the controversial website.

WikiLeaks is tweeting that officials in Washington are "hyperventilating again over fears of being held to account."

That's not hype. They really are worried this time.

Why so? Because this release of documents could pull back the curtain on how the United States practices international diplomacy.

To understand why this matters, consider two related realities:

1. Many, if not all, of the US officials who deal on the international stage tend to like secrecy, as it allows them to play by different rules when dealing with countries that are deemed "allies" or "rogues." In other words, despite the blunt official talk about how the "war of terror" is a universal endeavor, the United States sometimes casts a blind eye toward-or even works with-groups that are identified as practicing terrorism.

2. These powerful players often feel threatened by transparency, as it reveals when they are allow allied states to act like rogue states. This gets especially messy when "friendly" governments are allowed to get away with actions that the U.S. otherwise identifies as being so serious that might justify economic sanctions or even a military response.

Understand these facts and you will understand why official Washington is worried by this particular WikiLeak.

edit on 27-11-2010 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2010 by v1rtu0s0 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Interesting points. I must say they all sound pretty spot on. Why should the most powerful government in the world be able to act like this? They have a position of responsibility! They should be a beacon of light, truth, freedom, and a shineing example of the way countries should be! Instead they have lied, manipulated, and taken the pi£s out of the world. The American public are not to blame (completly) and I think they will be tarnished with the same bad brush as there government. They are to trusting, but they should of stood up as one people a long time ago and said NO!!!! The majority of them dont think there government is capable of crimes. I dont belive it's the whole American government that betray the world with there corrupt goings on but a small undercover few that control and manipulate things. The founding fathers left rules and regualtions that should of made america the greatest country in the world and a blueprint for us all, but theyve been hijacked by selfish ars%h$%£s who want a big fat bank balance and complete control!
RIP America. Should of been the best, but turns out will prove to be one of the worst!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the response.

I think the leak may show alot of cards that got delt and force accountability. With great power, comes great responsibility, and unfortunately absolute power corrupts, absolutely.

Originally posted by morga25
Interesting points. I must say they all sound pretty spot on. Why should the most powerful government in the world be able to act like this? They have a position of responsibility! They should be a beacon of light, truth, freedom, and a shineing example of the way countries should be! Instead they have lied, manipulated, and taken the pi£s out of the world. The American public are not to blame (completly) and I think they will be tarnished with the same bad brush as there government. They are to trusting, but they should of stood up as one people a long time ago and said NO!!!! The majority of them dont think there government is capable of crimes. I dont belive it's the whole American government that betray the world with there corrupt goings on but a small undercover few that control and manipulate things. The founding fathers left rules and regualtions that should of made america the greatest country in the world and a blueprint for us all, but theyve been hijacked by selfish ars%h$%£s who want a big fat bank balance and complete control!
RIP America. Should of been the best, but turns out will prove to be one of the worst!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I love how the truth is being exposed now. The time for change is upon us.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You said a mouthful and all of it is true. I am an American born and raised, for the past 50 years. The majority of people here are awake now and are very upset already about the way the US Government is destroying this once great country.

These Wikileaks just might be the push the people need to finally stand up and take their country back. I am so looking forward to seeing what the leaks have in them. This could really change the world but we will have to wait and see. I for one hopes this exposes the corruptness in our government so We The People will finally say enough is enough and take back our country and make it like our forefathers intended it to be....

When are the leaks supposed to come out? Anyone heard yet?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What's sad is the fact that our gov't is hiding tons of info from us.
This isn't their lunch menu people.
This is highly classified information on the way our gov't handles things.

One has to ask...
What are they hiding from?
Why are they scared to reveal anything?

And last but not least...
Why did we let it get this bad?

I hate to say this but the public is moronic.
They could care less about what laws are passed and how much money is spent.
As long as they have their McDonalds, Sports, Televisions, and shopping malls, they are happy and complacent.
Makes me sick.

The one good thing about the Internet is the ability to research things never before thought about by citizens.
If the public had this access decades ago, I think we would be an entirely different country today.

top topics

join