It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

930,000 years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

Scientist have found a skull and some bones from a very old Homo erectus
i said erectus... but seriously this is an incredible find. Does this blow a hole or two in some theorys? Is this old enough to effect religion?

Hmmm what are your thoughts

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leigon
www.newscientist.com...

Scientist have found a skull and some bones from a very old Homo ... but Does this blow a hole or two in some theorys? Is this old enough to effect religion?

i don't think this changes many theories, there was a documentry done on discovery about the evolution of the now homo sapiens and i rember it going about the same direction that this finding suggests.

also when was the ice age again?? i also get mmixed up with the dates of the ice age

p.s. good useage of 'erectus'

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by junior_smith

Originally posted by Leigon
www.newscientist.com...

Scientist have found a skull and some bones from a very old Homo ... but Does this blow a hole or two in some theorys? Is this old enough to effect religion?

i don't think this changes many theories, there was a documentry done on discovery about the evolution of the now homo sapiens and i rember it going about the same direction that this finding suggests.

also when was the ice age again?? i also get mmixed up with the dates of the ice age

p.s. good useage of 'erectus'

I agree i am going to do some research and try to find some dates. 930,000 is a long time, but isnt the one from africa older? now if i could only remeber his or her name

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You're thinking of Lucy, but she was an australopithecene. And she did date to about 4 million years or so, if memory serves.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
No, it will not change religon for christians believe earth is 6,000 years old. Your data is wrong, satan put it there. That is taught in Cobbs County Georgia anyways. Yes, in public schools, 6,000 years old and dinosaur and any other fossils that are old are either data wrong or satan put them there. Can't wait to see them meet the real world.

But a great find!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

The last Ice Age occured roughly 10,500 years ago... about the same time the planetoid Sedna was within the inner solar system...

*hum Twilight Zone theme*

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I though Lucy was discredited, because some of the bones did not match, or something like it.?

I still believe that Lucy is real, but too many controversies around her discovery tend to blemish her importance.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
No, it will not change religon for christians believe earth is 6,000 years old. Your data is wrong, satan put it there. That is taught in Cobbs County Georgia anyways. Yes, in public schools, 6,000 years old and dinosaur and any other fossils that are old are either data wrong or satan put them there. Can't wait to see them meet the real world.

But a great find!

That is awesome, I love Satan at the time i am writing this my points are at 666 oh my God it must be true. I am Satan

Please get back on topic thumper,or dont post !!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
We already know that the bible had problem telling time,
Now going back to the subject,

Acording to modern views, the first apelike beings appeared in the Oligocene period, which began about 38 million years ago.

The first apes thought to be on the line to humans appeared in the Miocene, wich extended from 5 to 25 million years ago.

The earliest known hominid is Australopithecus, the souther ape, and is dated back about 4 million years, in the pliocene. It stood 4 and 5 feet tall and had a cranial capacity of between 300 and 600 cubic centimeters. It was similar to humans but with ape like features.

One branch of Australopithecus, was the Homo habilis, around 2 million years ago in the begining of the Pleistocene period. His brain was between 600 and 750 cc.

From the Homo habilis came Homo erectus and the Java men and beiging man are in this group, about 1.5 million years ago. This stood abut 5and 6 feet tall, and his cranial capacity was between 700 and 1300cc. this was almost human in apperiance, and resided in Africa, Asia, and Europe until 200,000 years ago.

Paleonthologists believe that modern humans Homo sapiens sapiens emerged from homo erectus.
As for the bible please we all know that you can not go against facts.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The last major advance of the Laurentide ice sheet ended around 11,000 years before the present (BP), with a previous melting event occuring 14,000 years BP.

There were four (4) major advances of glaciers during the last 2,000,000 years. Other epochs of global-scale glaciation also occurred during the last 2,500,000,000 years.

top topics

join