It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Wayne, Iniana 1 / Westboro 0

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
A soldier from Fort Wayne, Indiana was killed in Afghanistan and his funeral was Friday. I heard that the Westboro people were going to be there. Notice that I didn't use the word "church". That's because I don't believe what they're doing is in any way religious but is just a money making scam. Anywho, since Fort Wayne is close to where I live, I thought that I'd bring a flag along and join the flag line. It was something else. There were easily 100 people there with flags, a biker group and a guard patrol, plus regular people. Imagine the sound of all those flags rippling in the wind. People holding flags formed a double row, in effect forming a corridor of flags, and people attending the funeral walked between the rows on the way to the funeral parlor. Members of the family thanked everyone for showing up and supporting them. There were a lot of soldiers in uniform that attended. Some of these also gave thanks for the support. One saluted all the flag bearers all the way down the line. I can't imagine how they felt seeing all those flags.
All along the route that the funeral procession was to take to the cemetery, there were also people holding flags. Flags on poles were at half mast. Police and firefighters were also there to show support. They closed streets off along the route. The fire department was also at the cemetery. They had two ladder trucks set up with a huge American flag supported between them so that the procession would pass under the flag on the way to the grave site. It was something to see.
I didn't see any Westboro people there. Indiana passed a law saying that anyone protesting at a funeral has to be at least 150 feet away from the funeral or funeral home. They were supposed to be at a gas station but more people with flags showed up there. Nobody was there when I went by. All in all, it was great seeing all those people showing support for that family. Also great not seeing the Westboro people. It's bad enough that the family has a space at the table that won't ever be filled on the holidays, and that the showing and everything was on Thanksgiving. Those evil people would have made it so much worse by spreading their hate at the funeral. I'm glad that so many people were there to keep them in check.
More on the funeral. I noticed Westboro wasn't mentioned in the article. They probably didn't want to give the freaks any publicity.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Its good to see common decent people can make a difference in the face of religious fanaticism.

I do have a question about them however to those whom follow the bible. What exactly are they doing wrong? I mean...I, as an agnostic, see them and everything they stand for as repugnant and a diseased mindset that is the pinnicle as to why religion is dangerous...however, on simply a theological and philosophical basis...what is wrong with their viewpoint?

It is clearly written over and over in the bible about how God views homosexuality..of nations accepting homosexuality, etc...there are lessons in the bible about Sodom and Gommorah, endless talks about how...yes...God hates it.

You can decide to cut these bits out because it doesn't suit the culture (thank god the bible isn't actually followed properly in the west. heh), but ignoring what you don't like doesn't make it go away...it simply means your ignoring it.

From a outsider that has read the bible (and followed it for a few years), I see what they are doing is, in the context of the bible, dead on. Also, what they are doing, from a biblical standpoint, is trying to get people to listen to the reality of what is written...

I have a feeling many will tell me that "god doesn't hate, God doesn't want that...etc"..but there will never be a scripture to back up that thinking...however, the WBN's have tons of scripture to back up what they preach..

(Once again...I am agnostic...I find the bible silly nonsense for things -exactly like this-...it is a sort of cruel and homophobic diety in my opinion based on the actual bible and not the new liberal interpretations and twistings of a pretty cut and dry material...)

Anyhow, way to go OPs and bikers whom stood with their fallen countrymen.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That is what I've been saying forever - that the ONLY way to really resolve the issue of Westboro and maintain our freedoms was for the people to drown them out.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Wow, I was in basic with him. I'm glad to see that some patriots used their rights to stick it to some radical Christians. R.I.P. Pape.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
What I find the most offensive about these people is that they are adding to the pain of the families of the fallen soldiers. It's bad enough losing a loved one in a war. It's even worse to have a group of people at the funeral saying that their loved one died because God hates fags. It's about common decency, really. Let the family grieve in peace. That's the whole point. As for it being a religious thing, I think not. I've heard several places, including here on ATS that their ring leader is a lawyer and that he's using his group to incite violence against them so that they can file law suits. It's a scam, plain and simple. They're out there baiting people. The families and friends of these fallen soldiers are already upset. This group knows that. They're being as antagonistic as possible to bring violence against them. I think the best thing to do with them is ignore them. Don't feed the trolls.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MGriff

Small world. I never met him but my sister works with his brother.

new topics

top topics

join