It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deficit commission’s Simpson calls US seniors the ‘greediest generation’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
You know, I consider myself to be a pretty calm, cool and collected sort of individual for the most part.

That being said, this type of unbelievably patronizing and condescending type of behavior by our elected officials, and their flagrant disdain for the very people who are paying their salary and whom they are supposed to be 'representing' makes my blood boil, and makes me want to reach through my screen and strangle them. lol

A gov that is SO incredibly out of control with its own reckless spending, and who is constantly helping BILLIONAIRES with bailouts and shoveling tons of cash to ridiculous endless foreign excursions, telling those taxpayers who have paid into the system their entire lives that they are 'greedy' for not wanting to be taxed FURTHER on their already infinitisemal table scraps big brother throws them on their SS incomes.

Un-freaking-believable...

Deficit commission’s Simpson calls US seniors the ‘greediest generation’

Wyoming Republican Alan Simpson has a pretty low opinion of the people that have paid into Social Security all their lives and now need something back.

The co-chair of President Barack Obama's bipartisan deficit commission lashed out at seniors Wednesday because they are unhappy with his ideas for reducing the deficit by cutting Social Security benefits while reducing corporate taxes.

Full story:

www.rawstory.com...

edit on 27-11-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Why would the seniors be angry that he wants to slash their benefits while cutting corporate and income tax? I don’t know why they would be so mad at him it’s completely fair. We all know the corporations have a difficult time finding the best country to stash their money and evade taxes. Those darn seniors and their greed!

I was with Dennis Kucinich when he wanted to free up the employment system by allowing seniors to retire at 60 what do they think will happen to the job market and even the poverty rate when Social Security benefits are cut? Already seniors barely receive enough to actually survive month to month then they have this millionaire with a comfy pension complaining about them making only about $800 a month already.

The blatant ignorance, intolerance, and greed are beyond sickening to me. These people can claim that private citizens would do a better job at attending to the elderly than the government yet they are the ones already criticizing them for asking for the money they put into the system these disgusting politicians have been pillaging since the ‘80s.

Here’s a better idea how about we take all of the money that the government put into these politicians pensions and move them over into the Social Security fund. It won’t help much but it’s the moral behind the act that they would hopefully understand and become enraged by.

Seriously who do these politicians think they are to say bull# like this? How can you actually attack part of your constituency then call yourself a representative? I have no respect for these elitist animals.

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor. ~ Thomas Jefferson

edit on 11/27/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Country first.

Republicans are right...F the seniors...what do they contribute to society anyhow.
Sorry gramps...suck it up...if we keep giving you enough of your money back to where you can afford more than catfood for yourself, we may have to tax the super rich a few points higher.

And to say we should tax the super rich a bit more means your a commie...is that what you want? After fighting off hitler, you now want to become hitler? didn't think so...now, get back to bed...country first...and by country, of course its meant to be corporate interests and ruling class...not your broken ass.

here is an idea...lets completely remove all taxes for anyone making over 250k...and sell gramps to large corporations to be melted down for fossil fuels!

grrrr...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I was with Dennis Kucinich when he wanted to free up the employment system by allowing seniors to retire at 60

Yea, I'm sure there are a lot of candidates that people wish they would have voted for, but instead, they chose to swim with the herd and obey the MSM, which is just a megaphone for the corporations itching to turn everything that made us America into ashes.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If those ungrateful seniors had just had the common decency to die in Germany, Japan, Korea, or Vietnam, or whatever hellhole we sent them to, we wouldn't be having this problem. No consideration for their fellow Americans, I tell ya.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread S/F.

Why isn't this all over the news?

Oh yeah, because THIS IS WHAT THE PRICKS WANT!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Easy for a rich old coot to say, eh? The government stole retirement money from this generation and their employers with the promise of social security and health care. It is not greedy to expect that money to be available in retirement and it is not the elderly people's fault that the government mismanaged that money in expanding the programs beyond what it was promised to pay for.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

So Alan Simpson a Republican that has medical insurance, retirement, salary, all paid for by the taxpayers wants to slash SS benefits that people have paid into involuntarily for all their working life. I wonder what sacrifices he is willing to make?

This alone should make the Democrats a shoe in for 2012 if they point this out during the campaignes. Old people vote and they vote for themselves. When I told my old Baptist, conservative, Texan mother of what Mr. Simpson said she called him a SOB and said the GOP was finished in her book. Never to old to learn.....

edit on 28-11-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

So Alan Simpson a Republican that has medical insurance, retirement, salary, all paid for by the taxpayers wants to slash SS benefits that people have paid into involuntarily for all their working life. I wonder what sacrifices he is willing to make?

This alone should make the Democrats a shoe in for 2012 if they point this out during the campaignes. Old people vote and they vote for themselves. When I told my old Baptist, conservative, Texan mother of what Mr. Simpson said she called him a SOB and said the GOP was finished in her book. Never to old to learn.....

Unfortunately for the Democrats, Simpson is a representative of a cost cutting committee appointed by Obama and made up of majority of Democrats. Also the party has to look forward to elderly people being harmed by Obama's health care take over. He cut Medicare severely to pay for the mess and down many doctors are cutting the elderly out of their practices because they can't afford to provide the services to Medicare patients at a loss. It is a very sad situtation.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's a fairly simple solution and one that both the Dems and the Reps are now playing to.

First, begin by threatening to cut SS and Medicare benefits. This will increase the fear and stress levels in those who have no other resources. Many of the elderly and infirm will die from the worry alone. This will reduce the sum paid out in benefits and leave more money for the government.

Second, begin actually cutting those benefits. Those who didn't succumb to the stress will now have to choose between healthcare, medications and the actual cost of living... rent, utilities, groceries. The second level die-off will save even more money in benefits no longer being paid out.

Third, reduce healthcare benefits to a bear minimum and further cut SS benefits. Those last few who had been able to survive will now die from disease and hunger and the remaining SS/Medicare benefits will be rerouted to special earmark projects, Wall Street investments and congressional pay raises.

Oh... and one of the perks to this plan is that those people who are hurt the most, will be dead before they can form any kind of voting bloc to unelect their killers.

It's win-win for the government and the perfect storm to eliminate the elderly, disabled and poor from dipping into those accounts they themselves paid into all their working lives.

Sweet.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
For me it's simple.

SS would be in the black if the Gov. hadn't raided the fund for other crap every time they needed money.

Pass a law forbidding politicians from stealing from the fund everytime they need cash.

better yet...pay back what they have taken.

It works when it is not stolen from.

For thousands of years we have cared for our elderly...visit any remote village and they might not have a lot, but they always care for and cherish thier elders. It's a pretty simple concept.

Pass a law and stop raiding the SS fund everytime Pols need money. It's not thiers to spend.

Just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The euthanasia clinics under fuhrer obama will solve the elderly problem so the reich will be able to continue funding the wars to keep the fatherland safe for all citizens..the elderly, disabled and others will go the way of those pesky terrorists the reich is working hard to protect the citizens from.. All hail der fuhrer and remember the reich will take care of you..

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
About time. Now that the Seniors are targeted maybe more of them will wake up finally because they are a large voting block that still thinks America is all apple pie peaches and cream and we are just having a little bump in the road and everything will be hunky dory soon and keep voting these same idiots back into office...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Look let's all be honest here.

The people who created this whole mess are Seniors, but not the bulk of them. The seniors that are in power are the ones to blame. Pretty ironic that they are blaming their own.

In any case there's no need to cut social programs like Medicare and Social Security. You need to cut defense spending, tax cuts for the rich and MAKE corporations pay more taxes.

In a decade of record profits for corporations and record unemployment for the general population, I don't see a problem of making IBM, Microsoft, GE, Halliburton, Exxon and the whole other list of companies paying millions in taxes.

They can afford it pure and simple. And as this was created by THEIR representatives in government, not ours, then it's high time they pay back what they stole.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Isn't Erskine Bowles, Democrat, White House Deputy Chief of Staff during the Clinton Administration, Simpson's cohort in this effort to blame the American people for the excesses allowed by our politicians?

Don't let him get off the hook. He's in the same boat as Simpson so don't go after one and ignore the other. BOTH parties are responsible for this financial disaster.

Regarding the 2012 election, the effects of QE2 and a possible QE3 with have such negative effects on our economy that I believe Obama will have, at best, a 50-50 chance of being the Democratic nominee. Unions in the streets or $3,000 gold will seal the deal.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The rich already dont work for the money they have,and then they want to take away from the ones that worked their whole life?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Have you seen this?

www.onecitizenspeaking.com...

Here's a response in a letter from a unknown farmer in Montana....

"Hey Alan, let's get a few things straight..

1. As a career politician, you have been on the public tit for FIFTY YEARS.

2.. I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63).

3 My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero ambition losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would have made Bernie Madoff proud.

4. Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and your ilk pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age 67. NOW, you and your shill commission are proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN.

5. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now you morons propose to change the rules of the game ... Why? Because you idiots mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal money from Medicare to pay the bills.

6. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you incompetent bastards spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money.

Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay off YOUR debt.
To add insult to injury, you label us "greedy" for calling "bull#" on your incompetence.

Well, Captain Bull#, I have a few questions for YOU.

1. How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 50-year political career?

2. At what age did you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much are you receiving in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?

3. How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?

4. What cuts in YOUR retirement and healthcare benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or, as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?

It is you, Captain Bull#, and your political co-conspirators called Congress who are the "greedy" ones.
It is you and your fellow nutcases who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers.

And for what?
Votes. That's right, sir.

You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic political careers.
You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

thanks for that, excellent read.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Ronald Reagan stepped into a Bankrupt country....and he fixed it.

He set up Trust Funds for Federal Agencies and put a little money in them and told them to go invest it....you have to live off of your wise investments.

We pay $50 Billion a year to a our military retiree's.

There is $400 BILLION in the military retiree trust fund. They could pay the military retirees for 8 years without 1 nickel of Federal Appropriations.

Now why wasn't that done with the Social Security Trust Fund?....or was it?

And where the heck are the TRILLIONS for the Auto Insurance Bonds from generations of Americans forced to buy Car Insurance?...for decades? The Insurance Companies had to get bonds....where are all of those Mega Trillions? There's more missing money there than Social Security.
edit on 25-7-2011 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join