It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Saddam Went to First Hearing Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Saddam Hussein went to an Iraqi court today to hear a list of the charges against the former Iraqi dictator. Hussein was openly defiant to the charges and denied all of them, even refusing to sign a list of those charges because he lacked his lawyer. Saddam was visibly nervous at the beginning of the trial and became openly angry as the trial progressed.

MSNBC:

"Please allow me not to sign until the lawyers are present. ... Anyhow, when you take a procedure to bring me here again, present me with all these papers with the presence of lawyers. Why would you behave in a manner that we might call hasty later on?" he said.

"You know that this is all a theater by Bush, the criminal, to help him with his campaign," he said.

"The armed forces went to Kuwait," Saddam said. "Is it possible to raise accusations against an official figure and this figure be treated apart from the official guarantees stipulated by the constitution and the law? Where is this law upon which you are conducting investigations?"

"How could Saddam be tried over Kuwait that said it will reduce Iraqi women to 10-dinar prostitutes?" he continued, referring to himself in the third person. "He defended Iraq's honor and revived its historical rights over those dogs."

At the conclusion of the hearing, two guards approached Saddam to lead him away. "Take it easy," he told them. "I'm an old man."

The judge presiding over Saddam was appointed during his regime. Saddam accuses Bush of using this trial merely for his election campaign. Here is a lift of the charges:

The seven broad charges against Saddam are the killing of religious figures in 1974; gassing of Kurds in Halabja; killing the Kurdish Barzani clan in 1983; killing members of political parties in the last 30 years; the 1986-88 "Anfal" campaign of displacing Kurds; the suppression of the 1991 uprisings by Kurds and Shiites; and the 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

I think this trial is very interesting into analyzing the man who is Saddam Hussein. Not many people know who he actually is, the man behind Iraq all those years. I for one think some of those charges are bunk including the suppression of the Kurds. I mean, the US instigated that revolt, and now they are using it against Saddam. But one thing for sure, he deserves whatever punishment he gets for everything else he has done to the Iraqi people and others.

Saddam is obviously a broken man; one who is on the brink of totally letting his anger loose. During his trial, we may peer more into his mind and see the justifications of a war criminal. He has already described Kuwait as 'dogs,' to justify the 1990 invasion.

The trial will not start until 2005.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Also, at the trial Saddam gave a contemptuous stare to the Iraqis who were in the room. There are mixed feelings among the Iraqis towards Saddam. I wonder how many of his supporters were in the room today...

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I saw on Fox News today that 41% of Iraqis want Saddam Freed. This can not be good for democracy. This whole Third person thing is really intriguing.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
I saw on Fox News today that 41% of Iraqis want Saddam Freed. This can not be good for democracy.

Then if that is the case WHY in the heck did we sacrifice 800+ American soldiers and billion of dollars of good old American cash? maybe we should have let the Iraqis fight their own battles!!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Heres a link, but there is not any types of numbers given

www.reuters.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
41% want him back? well even an abused woman will defend her husband beating her. i've seen it before. similar situation IMO.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I am not so sure about the 41% people wanting him back, but it could be possible. What is certain thou, is that more and more people are feeling less scared, and able to make fun of Saddam.

Hippy Hippy Shake Saddam Doll the rage in Baghdad

"It's funny, isn't it?" said Mustapha al-Kadamy, a young father as he browsed through a toy store in the wealthy Mansoor district and prepared to buy one of the dancing Saddams.

"Tomorrow Saddam will go before an Iraqi judge and so today is a good day to make fun of him -- we need to be able to smile after all the horrible things he's done to us."

"At the beginning we'd hide them under the counter and only sell them to those who specially asked because people were upset to see the former president as a doll," explained Asaad Majid, a salesman in the al-Jelawi toy store in Mansoor.

"Now we're not scared anymore, we display them openly, and people buy them regularly," he said, adding that demand peaked soon after Saddam was captured last December.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It does seem that they are feeling less tense about this situation and are allowing themselves to make fun of Saddam now that he is not in power.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
There is also this link on some interviews the BBC did to some Iraqi people.

"He took our sons"

Kathem Moula Asim, 75
Retired but working as a local guard in the market

"I'm not sure. We haven't seen anything yet from this new government. The situation is in the hand of God and we respect our new leaders.

"May god keep Bush and Allawi, because Bush threw out Saddam and Allawi will give us safety and security.

"I think we should try and execute Saddam. He took our sons! He took my two sons from their colleges 25 years ago. I never heard from them again."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There are nine interviews and pictures of Iraqis the BBC interviewed. Six of them want Saddam death or in jail indefinitely, while one of the others didn't comment, and two said he should have a fair trial.

Althou 9 people is not a lot, they speak volumes in their interviews, showing that at least some of them wanted Saddam's regime to be ousted.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Saddam should definitely be ousted. I am just afraid of what we are replacing him with. Frankly, I will be eager to see the candidates for the democratic election and what their background is. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them with close ties to America...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I am not so sure about the 41% people wanting him back, but it could be possible. What is certain thou, is that more and more people are feeling less scared, and able to make fun of Saddam.

Heh, to think that Saddam Heussein would have people killed for owning stuff like these dolls! People new to democratic republics have no idea how much heat leaders in our societies take... look at all the verbal abuse that Bush in the US and Blair in the UK take for example!
But that's all part of the gig when you're an executive leader of a free society...

I'll bet that Heussein thinks that the leaders of every country are worshipped as deities, like he forced everyone else to do for him in Iraq. After all, it's his only reference point of experience to draw from! I bet he'd be surprised to discover that our leaders have dolls, political cartoons, TV shows, and movies made about them, as well as protests by anyone who chooses to peacefully air their greivances. As for images of him that he wouldn't like, I bet he'd have a heart attack if he was shown "Hot Shots" or the "South Park" movie

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Having watched footage of the procedings I was amazed at how groomed he looked. He also tried to take controll of the procedings from the Judge by questing his credentials etc. However, his version of reality begs the question, is he competent to really stand trial by our standards, and should he at least have a lawyer present?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I'm sure the lawyer will be at the next one. This trial was for Saddam to review the charges against him. But even then, I'm curious about the lawyer too.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I'm sure the lawyer will be at the next one. This trial was for Saddam to review the charges against him. But even then, I'm curious about the lawyer too.

I did read that the governement wants him to use the billions he has hidden to pay for it. I do see his point about not getting a fair trial in Iraq. Were would you find a "jury of his peers"? I mean how many homicidal dictators are still out there. Yo Idi Amin we have a job for you. 15 dollars a day plus miliage

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Saddam is not as stupid as everyone thinks he is. He tried to show to the people in Iraq that this trial is nothing more than show. I mean how can Saddam have a fair trial in Iraq? Everyone wants him dead for good reason. I think he deserves it myself. The point I'm making is that he will show the world that true democracy will not work because the legal system is one of our backbones. This trial will make a sham of that in Iraq.

I say just behead him. But he'll further the insurgent movement in Iraq in the Process.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think "fair trial" is overrated. I think there are instances where no trial is needed. Instances where there is so much documentation that independently verifiable or video of the crime being committed. It would be nice not to have to spend money on court time, lawyers, investigators, etc. I know in the U.S. we've been instilled with "right to a fair trial" since birth, but I think there are times when it's a terrible waste. Just punish the guy and move along.

Saddam does look good. I heard someone crack about his hair and eyebrows being dyed. I wondered if it was L'Oreal.

If 41% want him back, I hope the other 59% kick their a**es and set them straight. Idiots.

Adding this to avoid another post... I saw him at the hearing and it reminded me of when he was caught. I remember the people there watching standing up and screaming when the video of him getting checked over was shown. No look-alike worries, they KNEW it was him, and were overcome by his capture. It gave me goosebumps to see it. He sure is cocky for a guy pulled out of a hole looking like a hobo.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by torque]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Saddam doesn't need a lawyer at this hearing.

It was just a magisterial hearing, which means, he just reviews his rights and the charges against him and they set his bond, although he was probably posted without bond...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Two thoughts on the 41% figure:

1. Maybe they want him free so they can get their hands around his neck
2. I heard that the poll was taken in Fallujah, which is a major stronghold of the insurgency.

new topics

top topics

join