It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expats recalled as North Korea prepares for war

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Expats recalled as North Korea prepares for war

www.independent.co.uk

A mass exodus of North Korean workers from the Far East of Russia is under way, according to reports coming out of the region. As the two Koreas edged towards the brink of war this week, it appears that the workers in Russia have been called back to aid potential military operations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Seeing this, first thing this morning, sure ruined my cup of coffee.

I can always figure on hearing the same old threats and such from NK. But when I see an ole KJ Ill giving up his spending money like this??? It is serious.

Be looking for odd troop movements all over the world in the coming days? And of course, what's the other hand doing somewhere else in the world?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

I'm curios about all this - as I rarely bother with world politics..

If NK and SK returned to full scale war, and the US pressured China into trying to halt NK's hostility, what would the likely global ramifications be.

it's effectively in our region, us being in Australia down here, but it's something that seems to nebulous so as to almost be like the initial Kuwait attacks... see it on the news, but ultimately not affecting us directly.

If this did start WW3 - and I doubt it will, whether I'm being naive or not is beside the point - realistically, what would the end result be - initially - for the general public in non-affected areas.

Do we grab the towels, store water, get underground - or watch it unfold on the telly?

I really am curious, I know it will - if it should happen - affect places differently, but I just don't get the impending doom others do.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Reminds me of the many WW II documentaries I have watched and how Hitler and the Nazis started calling for all Germans to return to the "Fatherland". I believe NK may be serious this time.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
When you look at the amount of money these "rent a slaves" make for the NK elite, the thought of them being casually pulled for the cash raking has to make one wonder about the seriousness of the situation.

I wonder if there is any news of them being pulled out of China, or anywhere else?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is disconcerting to say the least--we do not need a full-scale conflict with NK right now but we are legally and morally obligated to protect SK due to our agreement at the end of the Korean War. Maybe "Baba Vanga" had it right about Nov 2010 being the start of WW 3--if this starts to get more serious, I'm pulling my family out of the large city we're in, head about 2 hours north into the rural part of the state.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'd rather run off and hide in the Siberian country side in a tent than return home to North Korea (assuming of course they actually know what's happening in the world).

I wonder what percentage of his workers Kim Ill wackajobba will actually get back?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
This is disconcerting to say the least--we do not need a full-scale conflict with NK right now but we are legally and morally obligated to protect SK due to our agreement at the end of the Korean War. Maybe "Baba Vanga" had it right about Nov 2010 being the start of WW 3--if this starts to get more serious, I'm pulling my family out of the large city we're in, head about 2 hours north into the rural part of the state.

Just make sure you move out before everyone else, dont wait around! Im 16 and live my parents in a small village in the English countryside, anyone know what sort of blast/fallout radious nukes tend to have these days? Im in the countryside like i said but only a 20min drive from the nearest large town/city
edit on 27/11/2010 by stimmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I believe that NK is seriously going to do something this time. Along with calling all its workers back from China and with his son wanting a name for himself this could be the real deal. We will have to wait and see though what happens.

The talk coming from NK in its newspaper sounds pretty serious though. Here is the link.
www.kcna.co.jp...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
SK is pissed they have every right How many times can we expect them to take NK`s insane display of power? America must through treaty back SK, China must Back NK. Russia is Chinas Allie...O MY Gawd how terrifying this senerial is becomming. I been predicting this for a few years, my friends and family thought I was a bit crazy, my husband still dont get it...peace

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stimmy

HERE is a nifty calculator.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Lol, I guess it's :

"Oh badw0lf, just watch it on the telly, it wont affect you. But it will make for some good TV!!! have a good one!"

Cheers badw0lf.. thanks for the info!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
reply to post by stimmy

HERE is a nifty calculator.

Cheers mate

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This situation is not getting any better, and escalating with all sides huffing and puffing at the other. From the US and SK performing war games in the Yellow Sea near China and North Korea, vindictive remarks being passed back and forth between the Koreas, and calls for total war.

North Korea accuses South of using 'human shields'

North Korea has accused Seoul of using human shields on the island where firing from the North killed two South Korean civilians this week . . .

. . .North Korea's official KCNA news agency said: "If the US brings its carrier to the West Sea of Korea (Yellow Sea), no-one can predict the ensuing consequences." . . .

. . . Maj Gen You Nak-jun, the head of the marine corps, said: "We'll certainly repay North Korea a thousand-fold for killing and harming our marines.

"South Korean active-duty marines and all reserve forces will engrave this anger and hostility in our bones and we will make sure we take revenge on North Korea." . . .

. . .South Korea's new Defence Minister Kim Kwan-jin said that tougher action was needed against the North.

"We need to deal with North Korea's provocations strongly. We need to hit back multiple times as hard." . . .

This could really come to a head at a drop of a dime, and it seems no one is doing anything of importance to release some of the tension. No emergency UN Security Council meeting to draft a resolution on how to move forward after the North Korean attack? Moreover, civilians have been evacuated from that island and now SK marines have been called up to man positions.

North Korea: US-SK drills bring war closer

Lee [South Korean President Lee Myung-bak] has ordered reinforcements for the 4,000 troops on Yeonpyeong and four other Yellow Sea islands, as well as top-level weaponry and upgraded rules of engagement.

Remaining residents to evacuate Yeonpyeong Island

Almost all of the remaining Yeonpyeong Island residents will evacuate ahead of a planned joint military exercise next week, their emergency committee said Thursday, while cleanup and recovery efforts were still underway on the west sea island devastated by North Korea's artillery attack.

So things are about to reach the boiling point, and this situation could spill over into full blown war. What irks me is why China has been so passive about this, and is raising concerns about US/SK naval operations in the Yellow Sea? Why are they sitting on their hands without offering full-scale condemnation about this latest provocation by its ally North Korea? If they don't want war on their doorstep, it would benefit them greatly to respond to this latest incident.

As far as I am concerned, a carrier battle group should be there at all times like the policy in the Persian Gulf as a show of force and deterrence to North Korea.The situation over there is very serious and we may wake up one morning to full-scale war. Lets hope that does not happen, but the chips are falling into place similar to what took place leading up to the other World Wars.
edit on 27-11-2010 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stimmy

Originally posted by zcflint05

Just make sure you move out before everyone else, dont wait around! Im 16 and live my parents in a small village in the English countryside, anyone know what sort of blast/fallout radious nukes tend to have these days? Im in the countryside like i said but only a 20min drive from the nearest large town/city
edit on 27/11/2010 by stimmy because: (no reason given)

Hey, I'm not far from you either.

Check this link, creepy but interesting Nuke It!

We are very far from this. There's no reason to think that any nation is going to set off a nuke, ever.

The only nations we need to worry about are Russia, China and Pakistan. And at the moment this doesn't involve the UK or any of those three.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It is possible the Chinese have given up on NK and are quite happy to see the South and the USA exhaust themselves removing the problem for them.

The NK are like a chinese guard dog that has gone rabid and become more trouble than its worth.

After the regime is broken up they can ride in on a white dragon and take charge. That explains the strangely apathetic Chinese response.

Or maybe all sides are just talking at cross purposes...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
What irks me is why China has been so passive about this, and is raising concerns about US/SK naval operations in the Yellow Sea? Why have are they sitting on their hands without offering full-scale condemnation about this latest provocation by its ally North Korea? If they don't want war on the doorstep, it would benefit them greatly to respond to this latest incident.

I think China has made the correct diplomatic moves.
They have an important ally in NK, and to condemn their actions would damage that relationship.

China also has greater ties with the rest of the world, so if they showed any kind of support to NK, it would damage those international relationships.

I think they've made the right decisions to stay relatively quiet while pleading for measured responses on all sides.

One thing that people don't often consider is the affect destabilization has on regional borders and stability of neighboring nations.

Just like the UK position on the economic crisis with Ireland, China will be concerned about the sudden influx of refugees.
If NK is attacked, it is likely any attack would be immediate and harsh. Their infrastructure would be potentially destroyed overnight. The mentality of the North Korean population is one of complete and undeniable faith in their leader (even if it has been forced upon them). This is delivered to most through state TV. If those restricted TV channels (effectively their GOD) go off the air (which they will, probably immediately), the people are left without guidance and without purpose.

Many try to flee NK. In the chaos of any war it is very likely many millions would choose to try to get into China for safety.

That's just my view. But I am certain that China is more concerned with the destabilization of the region as a whole than they are about defending their little ally.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

This could really come to a head at a drop of a dime, and it seems no one is doing anything of importance to release some of the tension. No emergency UN Security Council meeting to draft a resolution on how to move forward after the North Korean attack? Moreover, civilians have been evacuated from that island and now SK marines have been called up to man positions.

To be honest - the response to this attack is entirely up to South Korea. That is what the drills over the past 50+ years have been about - turning over strategic control of the peninsula's military forces to South Korea. Unless North Korea invades, or South Korea asks for our help, there's really nothing we can do.

Additionally, North Korea doesn't really look at negotiating the same way we do. We look at it as an exchange of equals. North Korea views it as a way to get what they want every time they rattle a saber. It's viewed as weakness, and they just don't get it.

As for talks of how the U.N. will proceed? This has, also, been part of the drills over the past 50+ years. The responses to almost anything North Korea does are virtually scripted and autonomous. This is what that entire island has trained for since the moment the Armistice was signed. They have ate, slept, and breathed what many feel is about to happen.

So things are about to reach the boiling point, and this situation could spill over into full blown war. What irks me is why China has been so passive about this, and is raising concerns about US/SK naval operations in the Yellow Sea? Why have are they sitting on their hands without offering full-scale condemnation about this latest provocation by its ally North Korea? If they don't want war on the doorstep, it would benefit them greatly to respond to this latest incident.

Because North Korea is no more their friend than we are. They are publicly warning the U.S. to stay out of the issue - but that is about as far as they are going to go.

North Korea is a very weird country. They are quick to demonize the outside world, and would practically create a new DMZ along China's border over such a public condemnation of their activities. China only helps them because of the labor they can get out of Korea for cheap, and North Korea only puts up with China because of the food and materials they get from China.

China knows that North Korea has really no hope of winning another war with South Korea, and also knows that there will never be a single-country Korea ever again - and the North will likely stay under their influence, even after losing a war. China's labor population will still be there.

As far as I am concerned, a carrier battle group should be their at all times like the policy in the Persian Gulf as a show of force and deterrence to North Korea.The situation over there is very serious and we may wake up one morning to full-scale war.

We have a carrier battle group in that region at all times - they make rounds between Japan, the Philippines, and Pusan. We could possibly stand to put another carrier and support vessels in that particular region, but that would require further expansion of the Navy - something that will be difficult to justify. We will likely divert another carrier or two to the region - but from where, I'm not exactly sure. They would probably choose to extend one coming off of rotation so as not to leave gaps in the Gulf - but I can't be certain.

This time, there may be war. I'm not really sure I hope it doesn't happen. That may sound odd - but those people live every day with the knowledge that war could break out. North Korea should have long-since collapsed, but they are being kept alive by China - so a war now might just be better than another twenty "almost wars" in the future, and might finally bring about some actual resolution to a conflict that started over 50 years ago.

In any case - of all the wars that could break out, it's one I would gladly fight to support South Korea in. Which reminds me, I need to contact my billeted command and see if they have a likelihood for being deployed in support of operations in Korea, and put my name on the short-call list.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

dont forget about US. I think Hiroshima and Nagasaki are on the same level as Kennedy,
TPTB when negotiating just throw that in there to make leaders do their bidding, its simple.

TPTB: print more money and give it to the banks and corporations.
Obama: I wont do that to my fellow citizens.
TPTB: really? you remember Kennedy dont you Barry?
Obama: ok where do I sign.

America has no morals they TPTB will set off a nuke to get peoples attention if it is in their best interest!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

really you support South korea?? why/?
do you live under a bridge? or just drink the US propagandhi cool-aide?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join