It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MissJp

same here - am in NE Scotland.

The thundersnow was right over our head.

Hit at 12.17am.

Boy did we jump out of bed!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Our country is possibly the only one that has no problem in fighting in a world war (twice) but as soon as the slightest bit of snow falls, runs away crying and screaming.

It doesn't really bother me all this cold weather anyway, I prefer it. I can't stand the heat

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
To all the people in North East Scotland....Hello!
Didn't realise there were so many of us here! And I'm sure you've checked, but the Met Office site, for what it's worth, is now warning that we could have up to another 8 inches of snow overnight. No sign of a let up. Or a gritter.....
The roads here round Aboyne are just hell, and there is almost no traffic on them.

Where are you all anyway? U2u me if you don't want to post...would be good to blether.

Cait x

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Im getting annoyed now essex must be the only place tat hasnt got any snow yet. dont be greedy and send some down this way pleease.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's been snowing in winter in the UK for millions of years. Get over it. I hate it when the media try and turn the event into something that it is not. Anyway, I kind of like things coming to a stand-still, I wish it would happen more often.

Solutions to your "problem" - 1) Buy two weeks worth of food. 2) Get amount of money you think you'll need from ATM. 3) Cheer up.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
Im getting annoyed now essex must be the only place tat hasnt got any snow yet. dont be greedy and send some down this way pleease.

Hey Sussex hasn't got any either and we where promised some by the met...

I had plans to go sledging on the SouthDowns and now feel gutted

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
-10c is a mild lol. I'm in Canada and we get -30c sometimes during the winter and we live. Hell back in 2008 we break our snow accumulation record for a years with over 500cm. Stop whinning lol.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaynos

We're not whining. We know there are places colder than us, but these temperatures, and the roads in Scotland in particular are still lethal. It's far from being all highways here....lots of very difficult, narrow, steep rural roads that are deadly even in good weather. All we're doing is swapping information, and looking out for each other a bit. And as we've said, we don't have the infrastructure in local government to cope with it...they are so disorganised. Ridiculous really.

Maybe you could contribute something practical that we haven't thought of?

Cx

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Update from the edge of the wild and wooly North Yorkshire Moors ... we currently have between 4 - 6 inches lying on the ground in my village ... but on top of my dustbin and garden wall there is a good 12 - 14 ins ... and as I type this the wind is getting stronger and blowing the outdoor xmas trees that were put up on the cottages earlier this week quite violently.

Still snowing and haven't seen a gritter since Friday (now Sunday evening) ... even the farmers who usually come around and clear the side roads with their tractors haven't made an appearance ... so it looks like folks might have fun trying to get out of the village and off to work tomorrow !

Woody

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well.... Last year was one of the "worst" (Best!) winters we've had in years.... I remember it being all snowy and white from November - February .... and the only thing the shops started running out of was salt :p

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

O the irony. I just had to unfreeze my condensing pipe as the end of it had a plug of ice. Got very wet when the ice melted.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I believe the peoples there can manage the crisis at hand, even if the snow was 3 ft high. cheers, peace.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaynos
-10c is a mild lol. I'm in Canada and we get -30c sometimes during the winter and we live. Hell back in 2008 we break our snow accumulation record for a years with over 500cm. Stop whinning lol.

I think we've learned to adapt so well here, because it's such a pain in the butt. When it's zero to -10, the roads stay soft - Saskatchewan, we have lots of unpaved grid roads into the farms and acreages. It's great to drive on when it's - 15 to -20, the slipperyness goes away with the right tires. Plus they dump lots of dirt over the snow, after they plow it. Below that, I only go out if I have to. Once I was driving my trailblazer, almost brand new, shut off the motor to put in gas, and good thing there was a tow truck behind me. It was -40ish, and the whole truck power shut down completely. Now I stay close to home when it's that cold. We don't even shut off our vehicles when we grocery shop. They'll never start again, unless they've been plugged in.

We've adapted here. We get our snow anytime from October to May.

Seems this year the entire northern hemisphere may have our winter. It sure is pretty though. Everything is covered in white, and lots of deer have been passing through.

Bundle up folks. It's only getting colder now....

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I'm afraid the situation is somewhat different in the UK as the local authorities never seem to remember that it snows here.

I can certainly relate to that!

I moved from New Hampshire where -35C was not uncommon to mid North Carolina where we see snow once every five years. - No equipment, No grit, No $#@# brains in the drivers.

In the last big snow storm, the only way to travel was with chains on all four tires and hope the idiots do not hit you - Cars upside down in the ditches every mile or so!

Stock up, dress warm and stay inside if you can. At least England is small enough you have a fairly decent train system you can use. Here it is Car, Horse or Foot.... Darn I just sold my horse drawn sleigh.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaynos

The infrastructure of the UK cannot handle such wintery spells, let alone the Council's who haven't spent the public spending cut's properly and wisely. And poor management of local council's, and bad planning from the government. Do ya homework, the snow's just a deception to the bad motives of the government's, there all in it for greed, power and to fill their over-filled pocket's, more people stranded affect's the businesses and economy and break's down the countries infrastructure, services, hospital's, school's etc. More money in the pocket of those who chose not to plan ahead.
edit on 28-11-2010 by DClairvoyant because: Added comment.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
No snow here in the northwest either

Keep it up weather

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Would it be too much to ask, could you provide a video of the weather in your region as I would really appreciate it and would be nice to see what all this talk-of-snow is about? I have tried youtube though there doesn't appear to be many video's uploaded, only from 2008 and 2009 and early 2010.

Cheers anyway,

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellify
reply to post by MissJp

same here - am in NE Scotland.

The thundersnow was right over our head.

Hit at 12.17am.

Boy did we jump out of bed!

yeah its bad in Dundee, i was woken at 0130 with a loud bang, then at about 0430 it sounded like the sky was tearing itself apart, there were 4-6 strikes at the same time, as i am typing this i am looking out north from the study window and there are flashes in the sky every 5-10 minutes, Seems the flashes are coming from the hills at the rear of Dundee, i guess the warm air is interacting with down drafts on the Sidlaws and causing the lightning. very cool. some parts of Dundee have lost power though.

I have only witnessed this happening once before and this was on a flight to America, we has just come over the coast heading towards refuel when the sky below the flight deck lit up, i have seen many a lighting strike in the air but this was something else to see, seemed like the whole cloud was a beacon, was very cool and weird at the same time.

It was that bad last night that i reported the lightning strikes to both Dundee Airport and RAF Leuchars, dont want any of the QRF flyboys running into that crap, i have been informed by meteorologists that lightning like this is quite rare and that the charge in the clouds is more than a normal lightning strike.

Wee Mad
edit on 28/11/2010 by weemadmental because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KDM_Souljah

Thundersnow, also known as a winter thunderstorm or a thunder snowstorm, is a thunderstorm with snow falling as the primary precipitation instead of rain. It commonly falls in regions of strong upward motion within the cold sector of extratropical cyclone, where the precipitation consists of ice pellets rather than snow.

A heavy synoptic snowstorm in the comma head of an extratropical cyclone that sustains strong vertical mixing which allows for favorable conditions for lightning and thunder to occur.

LINK: en.wikipedia.org...

Extratropical cyclones are the everyday phenomena which, along with anticyclones, drive the weather over much of the Earth, producing anything from cloudiness and mild showers to heavy gales and thunderstorms.

LINK: en.wikipedia.org...

8th November 2010, Weather - Extratropical Cyclone
LINK: www.youtube.com...

Jet Stream Gone Haywire! (21 November 2010)
LINK: www.youtube.com...

I too live in the UK and suspected this had everything to do with the unusual extratropical cyclones storm we had back on the 8th November 2010.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
OP – Wise up. You’re trying to create doom and gloom out of nothing. I’ve not seen any snow and I’ve been up and down the country all week.

Just because you see a bit of while, you cry head for the hills - 15 days! lol@you

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join