It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I live in a little hamlet down a small track. The track gets slippy with the slightest covering of now and only 4 wheel drives can get up. We have learnt to park up on the road when the weather looks dodgy. But the road itself is hilly and exposed and often is not gritted. The nearest shops are 3 miles away.
Last winter was horrendous - the cold and ice as much as the snow. On those occasions when the road was passable, I would collect bags of coal in the car and haul them down the lane in a sled. It ceases to be fun after a while.
This year I learnt my lesson and got stocked up on EVERYTHING including fuel. And I put winter tyres on the car.
The UK councils use the excuse that it doesn't happen often as a reason for not having the infrastructure to make our roads safe in snow and ice. I'm wondering how long they can go on saying that....
edit on 28-11-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

I hear you...where you live sounds a lot like where I am, and yes...how long can they go on ignoring the situation and not providing the basics. Like a previous posters said, salt wont go off, and yeah, I know it has to be the right kind of salt and grit or it won't work in very cold temperature, but it's a simple equation to organise, surely? Salt, gritting trucks, drivers.

Good for you for being so proactive and looking after yourself. Rural places are often very hard to live in, for reasons like this, and it kinda needs a totally different mindset, almost back to very old fashioned or traditional ways of housekeeping, which is all it is really. Contstant supermarket convenience is just not possible. It's 8 miles to the nearest shop here....

Stay warm and keep us posted!

Cx

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
A few years ago the BBC was wenging about that there would never be snow for the UK again, due to my living habits, or due to my being alive, basically, and not giving proper heed to a hoax. So enjoy the snow. And stop wenging.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Last year I left work at 5pm and never got home till 11.45pm. This journey normally takes me forty mins. TPTB had not gritted the roads and by the time they decided to it was too late. This year I have a blanket and some food and water in the car at all times just in case. As to what people saying regarding the shops and atm etc etc, that is right, last year the local shop had run out of basic supplies after two days and it was impossible to get to other shops. I have made sure I always have a good supply of tinned food in the cupboards just in case.

Peace,

Seq

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Here in Wales (UK) temperatures went as low as -18C (-0.399F) last night (lowest on record for November).
At 11am this morning it was -10.5C (13.1F). Basically the forecast is set to continue like this. This sort of weather is no longer the norm for us. We haven't had weather like this in November for 17 years. There's talk about something being up with the jet stream.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelfrede
Here in Wales (UK) temperatures went as low as -18C (-0.399F) last night (lowest on record for November).
At 11am this morning it was -10.5C (13.1F). Basically the forecast is set to continue like this. This sort of weather is no longer the norm for us. We haven't had weather like this in November for 17 years. There's talk about something being up with the jet stream.

So, is there something up with the jet stream or not?
Is there any definite answer to this?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
A heads up for those with condensing gas boilers. That's one that needs to vent condensed water outside to a drain.

If your boiler stops working, it could be that the pipe that takes the condensed water to an outside drain has frozen and backed up the water, tripping the boiler to prevent damage.

From last winter, a gas engineer friend suggested using a electrical fan heater to heat the condensing water pipe as close to where it leaves your property.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rlro2009

Originally posted by aRogue
Australia have been enduring a weird climate for the past month or so. Especially in Victoria. It's been raining non-stop with humidity. Normally it would be scorching hot with no cloud in sight as we're entering Summer.
edit on 28-11-2010 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

Oh I don't know mate, from where I am it's looking pretty sunny in Brisbane!
Apart from Ricky Pontings face that is...

Sorry, i should have been more specific. I meant most of central Australia and down south.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Freezing pipes is a real problem in this weather. Here (in this rented property) the pipes are poorly insulated.
Best advice plumbers can offer? Other than the necessary insulation work, which is unlikely to happen in a hurry (in compliance with traditional landlord regulations ;-) - they suggest leaving a cold tap running slightly.

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
A heads up for those with condensing gas boilers. That's one that needs to vent condensed water outside to a drain.

If your boiler stops working, it could be that the pipe that takes the condensed water to an outside drain has frozen and backed up the water, tripping the boiler to prevent damage.

From last winter, a gas engineer friend suggested using a electrical fan heater to heat the condensing water pipe as close to where it leaves your property.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I also would like to hear from those knowledgeable about this to give an update on the jet stream situation. Thanks.

Originally posted by rlro2009

Originally posted by Aelfrede

So, is there something up with the jet stream or not?
Is there any definite answer to this?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
We have one of the earliest, coldest winters in memory in Western Canada.

Lots of snow.

Business continues as normal, unimpeded. Ploughs are out, trucks have made it across brutally snowed in highways.

Yes, we're geared up for dealing with it, but life will continue on, with or without snow.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I found this article that explains how the jet stream has moved hundreds of miles away. This article is actually from the beginning of this year.

'Why it's so cold: The science behind Britain's big chill'

'The Big Chill is being blamed on a change in the position of the jet stream – the current of air that moves from west to east.

In a normal British winter – when conditions are mild and soggy – the jet stream lies over northern Europe, at an altitude of between 35,000 to 50,000 feet.

During these grey winters, Britain’s prevailing winds come from the west and south west, and bring with them warm and moist air from the sub-tropical Atlantic.

But since mid December, the weather patterns high in the atmosphere have changed.

The jet stream has shifted south hundreds of miles and is now positioned over North Africa.

The warm westerlies that usually keep away the snow are instead giving the Mediterranean an unusually mild winter.

What wind the UK has experienced has blasted in from the Arctic, or from across the cold land masses of Siberia and Eastern Europe.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
im in the midlands and all I have seen is 1 inch of snow all week, what a bummer I wanted more

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Here is a more recent article about the cold weather that is affecting the UK and other parts of Europe:

'Big freeze will go on 'for weeks''

'The big freeze will continue to grip Britain for weeks to come, forecasters said last night.

The predication came as more severe weather warnings were issued and parts of Scotland and North East England were hit by up to 16 ins of snow.

The snow will spread across the Pennines towards Manchester today and also move inland from eastern England towards the South East and London, the Met Office said.

A spokesman for the MeteoGroup forecasters said: "People should be bracing themselves for more cold weather for the working week and beyond."

Gritters were out in force to clear main roads yesterday but conditions on minor roads in many areas were described as "treacherous".

Police in the worst-hit areas warned motorists to drive only if their journeys were "absolutely essential" as the disruption caused by the earliest widespread snow for 17 years continued.'

Read more: www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
None where i live (near portsmouth harbour)but the met office said we would
they can't predict sh!t

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
moral of the story people

be prepared - don't cry about the situation when you have been warned.....you know its going to be a horrid winter so while you still can go out and buy what you can to get ready.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I live near Reading and i havnt seen more than a VERY light sprinkle of snow which melted almost instantly.. however i hear they have had almost 2' up north and temps as low as -17C... Here in the UK that is REALLY cold and CAN cause chaos because our government simply doesnt think ot prepare, all we have is grit (which ran out last year) and a few snow shovers... people dont keep chains for thir car wheels and there are lots of narrow country lanes which become incredibly dangerouse when they get icey. No joke, the whole of Reading was bought to a standstill last year due to snow except the train service but even that was slow.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Exactly doing nothing will make it worse.

MAKE SURE YOU PREPARE. Please!!!
You can all call me an asshole later I'll get over it. Get your neccesities.

This will be fatal to some. Through preparation you will have less chance of been caught out.

Edingburgh airport closed
Derry airport closed

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Im in NE Scotland and this morning we had the first ever Thundersnow I have ever experienced! It even has a mention on wikipedia as its rare. Was a beautiful yet spooky experience! The sky was flashing blue & pink.

I think the US get 6 per year, but it was a first for us over here.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MissJp

Thats awsome! wish id whitnessed it

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join