It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by chukka

You have snow chains in Surrey

Wow you really do believe in being prepared! I've been thinking about getting some snow socks, but I have no idea how well they work

SnowSocks

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

And did the UK not have -10 for 15 days last year? And did it survive?

Yup it did. And the cash-points did not run out, and the world did not come to and end

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Right on cue the snow has started again, with another inch or two already. The temperature is through the floor...literally. I live in a cottage with stone floors and it's hell in weather like this....

Will keep you posted...stay warm and safe everyone.

Cait x

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I know it sounds OTT, but in some areas of Europe, mountainous ones, it's a legal requirement to carry them. That's when I've actually used them. That said, I live up on the North Downs/Surrey Hills which is a fair bit above sea level and has very narrow, steep and windy single track roads. They did come in very handy earlier on this year.

As for snow socks vs. chains, it all depends what type of vehicle you have. Snow chains are better, but some cars don't have the neccessary clearance for, say, 16mm snow chains, so socks are the only option. If you do have enough clearance between the tyre and wheel arch chains are the way to go.

Hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

we are getting the freezing cold temps from the north east, and apparently this will be for good, every year from now on, so people better get used to colder and more snowy winters.

Just like it always used to be then!

Trouble is most of you folks are just too young to remember the bad winters we used to get. Snowed over from Dec to March usually. I remember 17ft snow drifts in Hampshire in 1953.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
A cup of tea is pretty much all i can contribute to this thread.

But yeah stay safe, look after your neighbours and elderly folk and drive carefully.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

But isn't that what we need most in a crisis? Good Lord Man, you say "all you can offer" but that and a stiff upper lip built the Empire...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197
We've got an inch of snow, an inch. Most roads are 100% passable, no disruption to electricity/gas supplies, the shops & businesses are open, there's money in ATM's, even the bank branches were open this morning ... so it's life as normal.

But never let the facts get in the way of a scaremongerer. An inch of snow doesn't make a disaster & it's insulting to even post such a claim given the weather some of our overseas ATS friends will have to endure over the next few months.

insulting ? I think the point is in the uk they are not prepared ! Not their fault the authorities cant cope. I find your comments insulting to those who dont get as much snow as Your overseas buddies.. .. .

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ive not even seen one snow flake...im in essex on the border of london....its cold, but nothing too bad. I doubt its -10 here...maybe -2 at best.

Nothing to worry about, it happens every year, its only a lil bit of snow

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Just got home from work took me an hour ( i only work 9 miles away ) im so anoyed that i took a vid for you all just to show how usless are govenment is! its day 3 and still no gritting i have seen 5 gritters but there not gritting there for F-ING SHOW they are there just to keep the public happy its a joke

thats just ice under snow and allso to if you have bedding or a sleeping bag in your car make shure you keep it in a bin bag because you dont want it damp if you ever need it and all so i keep a suply of chocolet in ma car in case i ever get stuck it just gives you a boost of energy if you need to walk out or dig out and snow chains?? arnt the ilegal in the uk ??

keep safe its gunna get worse before it gets better

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
well it is winter, and as im married to a pom, she seems to reckon this is nothing unusual in winter in the United Kingdom.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

But yeah stay safe, look after your neighbours and elderly folk and drive carefully.

Forget the tea (for now) - the other advice you give is priceless, especially about looking after the neighbours and folk who may have trouble looking after themselves. That attitude is what is sorely missing in todays world. The spirit of community and helpfullness. Thanks.

ps cup o tea does sound nice

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

ps cup o tea does sound nice

true but you wont sleep lol

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by birdyat101

Why? the caffiene? Doesnt affect me. Cup of tea in the morning, or at night. Just sets the mood. When its too early for beer mostly.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The snows not even bad there. They don't even salt or plow around here if the snow was that tiny.

Just don't drive fast and you won't have an issue

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
A place, four hours drive from where I'm at, had -32.1 C yesterday (-41 C in January, this year)
But then, there are places in this country which goes below -50 C each winter!

Here, it is -14.3 °C, but it will probably hit -18 next week, so I just turned on the frost protection control for the waterpipes.

Last winter I got frostbite on two fingers when i bicycled to work in -35 C, because of cigarette-burnholes in my gloves...

My best advice is: use long wool underwear and socks; not synthetic nor cotton, -and keep dry!

Don't drive on ice without studded tires ...and remember: when it hits -30 C car-batteries don't work, and 40% antifreeze turn to gel at -24 C...

edit on 27-11-2010 by nakiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
so you fear a simple winter now? :O

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Australia have been enduring a weird climate for the past month or so. Especially in Victoria. It's been raining non-stop with humidity. Normally it would be scorching hot with no cloud in sight as we're entering Summer.
edit on 28-11-2010 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
heres one for you all its 7 55 am in perth scotland and its pitch dark usually light by now ,its snowing heavy nothing strange u might think but we also have thunder and lightning at same time somebody please explain how this is possible

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
The uk does come to a standstill when we get a little bit of snow, im from Australia living in the uk (why??) and it amazes me after having such a bad year last year we get the same advice, "dont go out unless you have to its far too deadly"
But fear not all those who are on the dole, jobcenter will close down and you dont have to go and sign on, woohooo youll get money automaticly.

As for the ice problem that shut the roads and schools down, have Ice Duty, all those on the dole and sickness benifit can get outside and clear all roads and all pavements, lets face it they wont be looking for work in that weather.....how many are unemployed ? 2.5 milliion ?
Well thats 2.5 million who can keep the roads and schools open.

Why dont they do it ? Health and Saftey, we asked my daughters school why they arent clearing the ice outside the school so it can reopen, the council say they will be hit with a fine as they are not insured.

Crazy man, crazy....heaven helps if the uk ever has 45 degree heatwave for 15 days

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join