It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It was snowing on the day I was born..in April 1978 and this was only just after the UK longest hottest Summer in 1976.
Unusual weather isn't very unusual in Britain It's just annoying

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I really wonder about peoples reaction to the snow sometimes. I mean, sure it's a bit cold and slippery, but really, thats about it. There has been weather warnings for where I am the past few days and quite frankly none of the weather has really justified it. Maybe it's worse 'up north', but it really can't be that bad, and especially in Scotland there realy should be the infrastructure to deal with it. That said, two/three years ago I went to the Cairngorm Range in February for a winter skills course, and there was a fair amount of snow. And yet, we managed to get 2 minibuses up that mountain, despite however much snow there was on the roads.

Personally I really can't see the issue when it comes to snow. My only real gripe is that there isn't enough to justify going to an outdoor shop and getting some Crampons and Ice axes. Other than that I have plenty of gear, and really most people shouldn't have difficulty getting some basic essentials of warm clothing and waterproofs. Footwear is pretty easy too, but then it can be expensive, however some decent hiking/mountain boots really outclass most other shoes in this weather and are definitely worth it.

Of course, thats me and may not work for everyone else. But then you're a bit of a fool if you're not prepared for the cold when your car/train breaks down in the middle of nowhere....

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Al gore and his group should pay for all the heating bills.

Yet again, al gore and his theories are squashed.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Personally, a bit of snow always = some fun at home with the family
as everyone around here seems to decide in unison to stay at home and go sledging

Anyways I miss snow on the run up to December and Christmas as always seems to make Christmas that more festive

Side note: Am still waiting for our bit of snow

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spinster
Im in the UK, last year the roads was covered in snow and ice from november through till february.

And where still here! Amazing!

Agreed. We seem to have this "fear" of snow in the UK, but we manage.

Our infrastructure isn't designed for it, but we still manage.

I think the OP is trying to point out the loss in business though. Which, right now, wouldn't be good. But it wasn't a good time last Christmas either. And as you say, that didn't destroy the economy.

It did do some damage though, so it could very well be more significant than we would like it to be.

At least it'll allow the government to blame the weather when their statistics are released next year and we see that the economy is still collapsing despite all their "well thought out" ideas.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I wish you would all stop being so rational... this is snow were talking about here.. SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
well .. the way that its all over the papers and the tv youd think that all parts of the uk is covered in snow by now. down here in essex we've had about 5 mins worth of snow .. other than that its just been sunny and cloudy. perhaps this snow stuff is a joke. anyway im just jealous cos i love the snow and i want at least 2 foot of the stuff

bring on the snow!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Is it time to start panicking down to the supermarkets to clear the shelves of bread? Should I be building some kind of snow disaster shelter? Do I need to buy more petrol than I ever need? Maybe some candles, or hurricane lamps, quick wrap the cats in duvets, stoke the fires, eeek baked beans, we only have 4 tins, we could all perish...don't panic, don't panic...we're all doomed, doomed!!!

Nah, sod that, heating on, telly working, internet, ok, stack of DVDs and books, time to settle down in the warm and chill. Even better my new milk frother works a treat, so it's cappuccinos all round at mine!

Why does this country collapse into a total disaster every time it gets cold, it's not it doesn't happen every year. That said I think the media does it's best to work the populace into a frenzy whenever the first snowflake is spotted.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
:shk:

There must be some tractors around somewhere. They just need to dig up dirt. They don't salt the roads in many areas of Canada, because the salt is problematic in lakes or on farmland. We just have a truck go by, drizzling dirt. That takes away all slipperyness. Forget about having a clean vehicle, but it's the best thing. Not pretty, but we're going for functional here.

It's sad to think of a country shutting down, just from a little bit of cold, in this day and age, when we should know how to deal with these things by now.

I'm in Saskatchewan. I hate it when it hits around 0 to -10 celcius, only because then it snows and the ground is still soft. I got mud terrain tires this year, and they're working great. I just wish it would hurry up and get back down to -15 or below, so the ground freezes properly, and hardens up. Then it isn't even slippery. I hate having to get the neighbour to pull me out, only because I sank in the soft soil underneath the snow.

I've never even bought those bags of large snow salt. It wrecks driveways and cement. I just sprinkle table salt on my stairs if needed, but remember the salt is really bad for your pet's paws, so sweep it off when the ice is gone. Or just have a dirt pile somewhere.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
LOL so silly the english people,
news says they got double salt for the roads.
but I have seen no gritting?
it must be below -10'c out side at night.
they Never show how cold it is on the news.
it is 2.4'c in my front room!
I dont use it. so why heat it?
I get a lot of heat of my PC.
and I just put worm clothes on.
every one should do that.
instead of burning money and the environment.
un thats unpatriotic !
you should spend all they money you have.
and get more.
use up every thing.
so there is nothing left.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You guys will be fine. I live in the States. Louisville Ky actually. Back in 94, we got a ton of snow over a six hour period during the night. the weather man royally screwed up as all of them were predicting 2-6 inches. I think it was around 2 foot deep the next morning. Louisville was shut down for 7 days straight. You couldn't leave your house or anything because the snow was so deep. We survived. You will too.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is nothing this weather.

My mum said when she was a kid the snow was 4ft tall, that was in the late 1950's (1956-1957), and we survived that. Actually my mum said it was really fun, she laughs at people who think the world is ending because there are traffic jams.

It is laughable when you think about it, some snow and the country goes insane.

Its just snow! And here in Belfast its pathetic, its not even 2 inches deep and the news stations are treating it like Antarctica. Its all to make you think negative, all to distract you.

Snow problem at all!
edit on 27/11/2010 by the_denv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
happend last year, happend about 6 years ago too, very bad snow storms bring much of the uk to a standstill, it doesnt last long. Most of us are still here.

they dont come very often but ive withstood many of them, without starving, without freezing...we can handle it

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

A tractor digging up dirt!

Thats just crazy talk. First we would have to run a cost effectiveness analysis on this dirt / Tractor system, then we would have to design a Tractor for the project, then theres the chemical analysis of the dirt to think about, is this dirt safe!?!?! Then there's the public consultation period, Who exactly is going to decide what colour Tractor we use?

Getting the initial comity together to even discuss the implementation of the main comity will take us well into 2015

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by Yissachar1
AS A SIDE NOTE TO UK POSTERS, DON'T FORGET TO WATCH OUT FOR YOUR ELDERLY NEIGHBOURS AND RELATIVES DURING THE COLD SNAP. THE OFFER OF FETCHING THEM A LOAF OR SOMETHING COULD SAVE THEIR LIVES

Couldn't agree more.

I am surrounded by a few elderly neighbours, most cannot get out for the basics so i make a point of popping my head in when i'm going down the shops. It takes two seconds, is no hassle at all and is more appreciated by them than you think.

I've given a couple of my neighbours a few powercut supplies too. Just the basics like 12 hour glow sticks (much safer), torch and spare batteries etc.

One thing to watch out for is if they are using those thin household candles that you get in the shops, last year i caught one elderly neighbour trying to balance one of these on a plate, not good at all. I replaces it with a thick stable based curch candle from the pound shop.

Also, if you have a gas cooker you could be a life saver for elderly neighbours who have electric. A few times last year i was supplying people with boiling water because they didn't have electric.

If you are ever near a charity shop, look for an old plug in phone, the modern cordless versions won't work in a power cut.

CX.
edit on 27/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

What a great guy you are!

Its so easy to forget those next door or up the road nowadays. People seem to be more concerned with their facebook status or xbox games.

There would be no fb or xbox without these folk and it is our duty to watch out for the vunerable, in fact not a duty, but love for our community.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.. Those elderly folks ARE those giants.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Yes the UK has compared to russia/iceland etc, "mild" temperatures and a mere dusting of snow.
However - as said before, the govt/councils are so inept at dealing with it by salting the roads, coupled with the general publics inability to drive properly in the poor conditions, with people resorting to 2 extremes, either 2 mph or not driving any differently than they do in the height of summer.

It once took me 50 minutes in the snow here to drive 4 miles due to other road users gridlocking the place - that is how poor it becomes over here.
If I didnt have a boot full of stuff I needed I would have ditched the car and walked!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm on the East Coast of Scotland and we've had it worst so far. The current temp outside is -7oC and its 9pm. Its already -14oC in Aboyne, 30 miles away. We have about 8" of snow and it hasnt got above 0oC allday. I saw 1 gritter yesterday, thats it. There has been travel disruption already but the worst is about to hit us. Within the next couple of hours a Polar Low pressure system has formed in the North Sea (which is rare) and due to the slightly warmer temp of the Sea compared to the land, convective showers are forming rapidly. There is now rtation and an organised band of snow headed right for Scotland and Northern England that will produce about 10-20cms of snow through the night. To make things worse, the showers in behind this front will come in thick and fast on a bitter Easterly wind blowing the showers right across the UK.

This is a severe cold snap for November, the worst in 16 years. If it continues it will probably break records...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Hey...

Thanks for the heads up...I'm near Aboyne, and I hadn't read the information you've given here. Very useful. Not that I was planning on going anywhere for about a week...I'm kinda stocked up and snowed in. There is at least a foot of snow on top of my car, which I'm not even going to attempt to dig out till mid week now...no point really...will just have to dig twice, by the sounds of it.

An no...we have had no gritters here at all...no one in four days, which is pretty shocking. The estate guys are running tractors with snow ploughs on them to try and keep the roads as clear as the can, but under the snow is sheet ice...it's not good.

Stay warm and safe and I will check in later. Thank you again for the information.

Cait x

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Hey...

Thanks for the heads up...I'm near Aboyne, and I hadn't read the information you've given here. Very useful. Not that I was planning on going anywhere for about a week...I'm kinda stocked up and snowed in. There is at least a foot of snow on top of my car, which I'm not even going to attempt to dig out till mid week now...no point really...will just have to dig twice, by the sounds of it.

An no...we have had no gritters here at all...no one in four days, which is pretty shocking. The estate guys are running tractors with snow ploughs on them to try and keep the roads as clear as the can, but under the snow is sheet ice...it's not good.

Stay warm and safe and I will check in later. Thank you again for the information.

Cait x

No problem. Makes you wonder where your council tax goes doesnt it????

I'd expect Aboyne to start feeling the effects of this approaching front at about midnight. The snow is forecast for the next 7days at least for us here in the North East. There could be upto 40cm's for inland areas from now til monday...and Aboyne is pretty far inland.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Thankyou for your input and let's hope it encourages more replies with a heads up.
Feel free to keep us up to date.
This is already expected to last 15 days.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join