It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
UK, unlike other countrys that get a lot of snow does not have the infrastructure to handle large amounts of snow, usually the UK does not get this amount of snow so the government doesnt pump money in to these like gritters and stuff, the bit that annoys me is teachers closing the schools because they cant get in, they should adapt because the UK will be seing a lot more snow, more often and imo they cant keep closing schools, other countrys dont so why should we, its pathetic!

As for the snow, even the weather scientists are saying its very very unusual for the UK to get this amount of snow during november, its caused by the north pole heating up and pushing the cold air further down, to places like the UK, instead of the UK getting the warm air from the west, we are getting the freezing cold temps from the north east, and apparently this will be for good, every year from now on, so people better get used to colder and more snowy winters.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This kind of nonsense is the main problem, people think you get around on snow by just flooring the accelerator

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yes, its dumb but kinda funny at the same time watching people getting pissed off about the snow, simply because they dont know how to drive their car, im 24 and ive seen a lot more older people in more expensive cars just floor it, and you would think they knew better, obviously not.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Could this be an attack by our staunch allies using HAARP to create more economic chaos in the UK, making yet more companies ripe for takeover by US companies, thereby strengthening American hegemony across the developed world?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by canuckistanian
reply to post by jazz10

-10C isn't enough to bring everything to a stop. It is that cold here (southern Ontario) during the winter and we still get things done.

Check to see if Alberta and Saskatchewan shut down this past week, they had a cold snap and were waking up to -34C temps. I'm pretty sure everything kept running, just dress in layers and keep your pantry stocked.

Wrong there Sir..
This is the UK we are taping about here... An inch of snow will bring the UK to a standstill it really is an amazing thing....

kx

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

You hit the issue on the nail. We experience snow infrequently and then do not change the way we drive. How many of us passed our driving test in the snow? Or was their any part of our driving lessons that covered how to react in bad weather.

It does make me laugh when there is even the threat of snow, just how the media jumps up and down, and the police ask us to travel only if it is really required. Do they think I want to drive on the roads covered in snow and ice with all those drivers who have no idea how to drive in the snow or on ice.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Well we in Latvia now have temperatures about -10 Celsius. With little or no snow fall. Meteorologists say that next week we'll have snow.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Isn't that weather pretty normal for this time of year?

Even if its not, it IS winter, and sometimes you're going to see weather extremes, i don't believe it's anything to worry about.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
Could this be an attack by our staunch allies using HAARP to create more economic chaos in the UK, making yet more companies ripe for takeover by US companies, thereby strengthening American hegemony across the developed world?

I just KNEW there would be a HAARP reference somwhere

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by archasama
reply to post by jazz10

Well we in Latvia now have temperatures about -10 Celsius. With little or no snow fall. Meteorologists say that next week we'll have snow.

Its not normal.

It usually does not snow here until jan-feb and then its usually a dusting that goes as quickly as it comes.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

first time ive replyed to something on here but im on this site everyday for a nosey ,so here goes ,first of brilliant site really enjoy it ,2nd the uk wont grind to a halt england might but the rest no ,i stay in scotland and we have this all the time ,yes there was a salt sortage last year as the uk as a whole havnt had it so bad in years ,this year england should be more prepared thats if our wonderful goverment havnt cut the salt budget
be more worried about them than the snow least the snow will melt and go away ,that lot wont theyll get much worse and snow will be the least of the uks worries

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

No that's not my era my friend I was still a dream back then but I believe those times are about to come back. I believe the return of an ice-age. I also believe its on the brink.
I'm not saying this weather at present is it, what I am saying though is this IS where we will see if we've learnt.
This will cause chaos through lack of preparation. Transport.
A problem which involves isolation like entire transport system stopping or coming to a stand still has a massive negative effect.
What I'm saying is not an impossibility.
Depending on how we've prepared determines if this becomes reality.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
These predictions aren't from a Daily Mail article by any chance, are they?

What a ridiculous thread.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I know, I just couldn't help myself

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Its not normal.

It usually does not snow here until jan-feb and then its usually a dusting that goes as quickly as it comes.

Not quite correct. Since the early 80's it's been that way, but prior to that we used to get good amounts of snow - several inches - that would be on the ground for a week or more at a time. I don't remember us having the same disruptions either that we do now with less snow.

CX

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Nothing too bad down here yet, very cold but no ice or snow. (South UK)

Last hear we had a real bad icy spell, at least for us, i got some small screws and screwed them into the bottom of an old pair of walking boots, instant ice grips. Saved me looking an ass falling on my backside all the time.

Heres a guy who did another DIY version, might come in handy for someone...

As long as people have a weeks worth of food and water minimum stored away, spare meds if you need them and something to keep you warm we should be ok.

CX.
edit on 27/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Its not normal.

Not quite correct. Since the early 80's it's been that way, but prior to that we used to get good amounts of snow - several inches - that would be on the ground for a week or more at a time. I don't remember us having the same disruptions either that we do now with less snow.

True.

I was a mere twig of a lad in that time so just going off the norm for the last 30 odd years. Perhaps this is the real norm.

AS A SIDE NOTE TO UK POSTERS, DON'T FORGET TO WATCH OUT FOR YOUR ELDERLY NEIGHBOURS AND RELATIVES DURING THE COLD SNAP. THE OFFER OF FETCHING THEM A LOAF OR SOMETHING COULD SAVE THEIR LIVES

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Usually our first major snowfall (which ironically is happening right now) results in people who fail to remember that we live in a country with four seasons. Lead footed drivers learn quickly how going fast in the snow results in ditch diving, and waiting hours for a tow truck because of the other like minded morons.

As well, it's madame.

CX

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

AS A SIDE NOTE TO UK POSTERS, DON'T FORGET TO WATCH OUT FOR YOUR ELDERLY NEIGHBOURS AND RELATIVES DURING THE COLD SNAP. THE OFFER OF FETCHING THEM A LOAF OR SOMETHING COULD SAVE THEIR LIVES

Couldn't agree more.

I am surrounded by a few elderly neighbours, most cannot get out for the basics so i make a point of popping my head in when i'm going down the shops. It takes two seconds, is no hassle at all and is more appreciated by them than you think.

I've given a couple of my neighbours a few powercut supplies too. Just the basics like 12 hour glow sticks (much safer), torch and spare batteries etc.

One thing to watch out for is if they are using those thin household candles that you get in the shops, last year i caught one elderly neighbour trying to balance one of these on a plate, not good at all. I replaces it with a thick stable based curch candle from the pound shop.

Also, if you have a gas cooker you could be a life saver for elderly neighbours who have electric. A few times last year i was supplying people with boiling water because they didn't have electric.

If you are ever near a charity shop, look for an old plug in phone, the modern cordless versions won't work in a power cut.

CX.
edit on 27/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface
These predictions aren't from a Daily Mail article by any chance, are they?

What a ridiculous thread.

Ridiculous thread then why reply?
All I'm saying is what in My humble opinion will happen, if and only if people don't prepare could happen if it really kicks in.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
That goes for you also, either take the warning or don't your call I'm not forcing you to read.
I assure you that the news headlines, if the weather forecasts were right then I'd expect one or all of the following over the next days/weeks possibly months. Winter in uk can last past feb march. So its not impossible. Also the fact that the UK government keeps failing even on mild winters only makes this worse. That is fact.
air travel
Public transport bus/rail also car
isolated areas due to closed roads leading to food shortages and money shortages
Power supplies effected either through downed powerlines or a massive increase in demand effecting supply.
Refuse collection

Its all very possible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join