It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impossible Math Question?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Well yes of course,,,,after i have rapidly provided you with the answer.

Your Avatar is quite commendable by the way.

ATS is truly exceptional,,,,and they know it.

Holiday Cheers to you all........Wildmanimal

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

does a child fit in to OP category ?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

x+(1/2)x=x

is this the basic equation we are trying to answer?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'm not sure exactly what your getting at but..

There are numbers that are different but equal, 0.9999999 recurring is equal to 1 the same goes for all numbers that end in in a trailing 9 i.e. 6.7999999.... equals 6.8

link

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a half empty cup of water ( or anything in this case), by adding another half empty cup of water you still get a half empty cup of water. the water increases but so does the volume of the cup. if the volume of the cup is 4 and the amount of water in it is 2, adding its other half would increase the volume to 8 and the amount of water by 4.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed
I have a question. I guess its Math but it could be Science also.

What number + 1/2 would equal itself again?

(not half of itself, just 1/2)

If not number, then maybe what element + half of itself would = itself?

I probably worded the above wrong or something but anything closely related to this question would help greatly.

In user " ausar's" worlds:
"it would have to be a constant; and it would have to be an element that is not deconstituted in the process of addition and equation."

I cant give any details as to why this is important, but just know that if you can answer it something good is bound to come out of it.

edit on 27-11-2010 by demonseed because: (no reason given)

Demonseed,
I believe this engineer answers the question...somewhere in there...

Just have to watch and listen closely:

Enjoy and 73's,
Tom

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I think I understand your question now and the answer is INFINITY.
Infinity / 2 = infinity
infinity * 2 = infinity

Now you just have to find something infinite to try it out on

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed

Originally posted by BluePillOrRedPill
6 + 1/2 ( half of 6 is 3)
6 + 3 = 9.
which is 6 upside down

LOL.....

interesting...

It may sound stupid that you might be onto something but i honestly think you are. Whats scary is that the number 9 and 0 both have something to do with what im trying to figure out.

Did you know?
If you merge a 9 and a 6 together they could make a yin-yang

OFF TOPIC
Turn it horizontal and we have "something" very interesting

Second line

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Kalisdad, NO. It is clear that it is not x + (1/2) x = x.

Now there's something.

Adding doesn't necessarily means "to perform the mathematical addition".

So: instead of "additioning" let's simply "add" (collate, stick to) 1/2 to 2/4. This needs to be seen with horizontal fraction bars:
2 1
- -
4 2

That would be 2/4 "+" 1/2 -> 21/42 wich is still 1/2.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

If I am understanding you correctly...

Simplifying it into equation would be: X + 1/2= X

Reordering the terms: 1/2+ X = X

Adding '-1X' to each side of the equation. 1/2 + X + -1X = X + -1X

Combining like terms: X + -1X = 0, 1/2 + 0 = X + -1X, 1/2 = X + -1X, X + -1X = 0, 1/2 = 0

Solving
1/2 = 0

There is no working variable...

This equation is invalid, the left and right sides are not equal, therefore there is no solution, mathmatically.

However.. I will have to agree with quite a few of the previous posters. Infinty... or anything infinite or limitless plugs in here nicely.

Air... time...momentum....red, blue, black......but then we're assuming we are adding the same thing to the beginning product just increasing it's mass to 1.5 instead of 1.

where it gets tricky though is you said the 1/2 is not necessarily 1/2 of the original variable... since we have no idea what is being added to the original variable there is simply not enough information to make a valid conclusion no matter what we plug in as the variable. Since infinity is even something in question, I question if even that serves as a correct answer. There is no way to measure Infinity since it is assumed to be endless, yet since everything we know of has an eventual end... or can be brought to an end in some manner, infinity cannot be proven and is therefore an assumption or concept. Since it is infinity and without limit you really cannot add anything to infinity, it will never change and therefore you're not really adding anything to it. Unless of course you add something tangible like for instance a baseball. I'll trade you infinity and this baseball for $10. Then you've added a baseball though and you have more then just infinity that you started with. It is in my opinion infinity is the only thing that does fit in this riddle if indeed that is what it is. However... if what you are looking for is a tangible answer.. I would myself have to conclude this is an impossible equation, problem, riddle etc.. due to lack of information and or due to the fact there is no way to add something to anything and come out with the same thing.

It's = to... There are 3 people in a room, none of them are you. 1 is named Thomas, 1 is named Beth, what is the third person's name?

No possible way to draw a conclusion because you are not given enough information to determine the answer.

hmmm... I did think of one thing after the fact... this thread... people keep adding to it and yet... it is still the same thread... and no matter how many times we add to it or what is added to it it will still be the same thread just longer... hmmm but then I guess it did change because the length changed... rofl ...
edit on 27-11-2010 by letthefactsspeak because: to add new idea

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZodiakZero

Zero still works. 0 - 1/2(0) = 0
Or my username lol ZodiakZero - Zodiak = Zero

Or infinity? Half of infinity is still infinity.

any number works really, to subtract a number as a whole from a number will always equal zero.

depends on what the half is ..is it half of the original denomination or is it half of another?

eg 0 - 1/2 (6) =0-3.....

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Not necessarily with infinity.

If you have an Infinite amount of sandwiches and you gave them all to someone else then you would have 0 but if you have an infinite number of sandwiches and you only gave every second sandwich to someone then you would be taking an infinite amount of sandwiches away but you would still have an infinite number of sandwiches and so would they

so
Infinity - Infinity = Infinity

Edit to add
Yes I am aware that infinity is not a real number but it's fun!
edit on 27-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Like dave said, the only one is infinity.

In any other case:

x + 1/2 ≠ x.

It will not equal itself. Ever. You have modified it by adding 1/2, so it will always be 1/2 more.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
1/2 + 1/2 = 1/2 ... sure, why not...

1/2 right + 1/2 right = 1/2 right (ask my wife)

webbot example,
yesterday the webbot predictions were half right
today the webbot predictions were half right
= webbot is still only half right
half + half = half

peace

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
OK, Damnit. No one told me there were going to be test here at ATS. I didn't study for this one, and I HATE math anyways!!!

With that said though, the OP should check this thread here for a possible answer. Anyone who scored over 32 might just be able to solve this...lol

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Perhaps if you told us why you ask this question we would be able to help you. There is no number for which x + 1/2 = x. On the other hand in the physical world there are reactions where 1 quantity of something plus 1/2 quantity of something makes 1 quantity of something else.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
x + 1/2 == 1/2
or
1/2 (2 x+1) = 1/2

x = 0

Here's my favorite:
(1^y / x^y)(x^y / 1^y)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Are you referring to the Energy density of a vacuum = 0 poin energy? Or in terms of a quadriatic equation?

Just spitballing.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Agree: 2,4,5,7,12,13,18,19,20,21,22,23,26,35,39,41,42,43,45,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,8,10,11,14,15,17,24,25,27,28,32,34,36,38,40,44,47,50: 1 point
Score: 39

Return to test

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
simple.

-1/4 +1/2 = 1/4