It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI thwarts terrorist bombing attempt at Portland holiday tree lighting, authorities say

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

now you know who WE The People work for, where all of our tax dollars go, to support programs that criminalize thought and direct it towards acts of terrorism. Let us not forget, if it weren't for Timothy McVeigh, we wouldn't even have The Homegrown Terrorist Act.
edit on 27-11-2010 by leira7 because: Sad State

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Mohamed mohamud...

no wonder the poor angels are so angry...

lol

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Please post any future references of 9-11 conspiracies, TO THE 9-11 CONSPIRACIES FORUM!

Above Top Secret

Besides, what would you have the FBI do? Wait for real terrorists to recruit idiots like this teenager and carry through with a plot or recruit them to see how far they'd take a plot.

There is a such thing as willingness and unwillingness. This teenager proved he was willing to kill hundreds of innocent people.

Have we got to wait until hundreds are dead before we label someone a terrorist?

edit on 27/11/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
They used an idiot kid because the last time they tried this the Vic taped them setting him up, and THE FBI was busted MAKING the TERRORIST EVENT...it was even in the Mainstream news...

and people think this is different?

My God.
"we have met the enemy and his us" - Pogo

ps here just one example
maxkeiser.com...
edit on 27-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

MBF

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
When I first started reading this, I wondered if this fool actually called up the FBI asking to buy explosives.
Something sounds suspect.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yeah I agree, the FBI goes out on 'sweeps' to find 'angry, disenfranchised' teenagers, and helps them become terrorists, provides them with everything, and stops them 'just in time' before they commit their dastardly deed...

How about this kid probably did research, asked around locally, looking for bomb-making devices, and by the grace of God, stumbled onto an undercover FBI agent in Portland....
couldnt have that happen tho, right? Doesnt sound sensational or smell of a conspiracy right?
Again, take OFF your tin foil hats and see reality for what it is...the FBI stopped a potential terrorist

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

He was talking about the bombing in the basement in the 90's. Maybe you should fine tune your comprehension skills.
You are the only one that has made a reference to 911 on this entire thread!
Jeesh... the right and wrong police ... or arrogance cops bother the heck out of me!
edit on 11/27/2010 by Resurrectio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Here is another thread on this subject, (thread was closed due to duplicate subject matter) with commentary by ProtoplasmicTraveler and others. Just thought it would be good to merge here with the additional information.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Those suggesting that this may be a diversionary tacit may well be correct.

DHS is taking a lot of flack lately. 75+ web sites shut down. The public uproar over the airport scanners.

Obama is looking weak too. The G20 epic fail, China and Russia move from the dollar. North & South Korea ect.

Watch ATS too, suddenly there seems to be a burst of global warming and such threads that I believe are a concerted effort at distraction and diversion, pushing back the real news.

But the real question is : Did the van have a Ron Paul bumper sticker?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I just sore this on the BBC news videos.
the FBI got him to do the attack and gave him the car bomb.
but not a live bomb.
so so the FBI had not convinced him to do it.
nothing would have hapend?
now the FBI will be saying.
"Look there are lots of terroist!"
only because they are making them.
they are making some thing that may have Never have happen.
and I mean All terrorism.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Here is another thread on this subject, (thread was closed due to duplicate subject matter) with commentary by ProtoplasmicTraveler and others. Just thought it would be good to merge here with the additional information.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mine was deleted too even though it was posted within the minute of the news breaking =/ Doesnt make sense.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Does anyone else have a problem with our government taking impressionable youth, that may never harm someone without assistance, that may never find another person to assist in carrying out some wild thought in their head, to take this person and provide all the support to do this and reinforce his way of thinking--and lure them into a situation which is a trap and a life sentence? This is like an entrapment scheme for the mentally ill. I am quite sure if they gave me access to monitor the entire countries phone communications and e-mails I could find some off-the-wall crazy to fool into carrying out some plan. Make it as easy as making a cell phone call.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This was pretty good timing to coincide with the wikileaks release (coincidence of course). Perhaps it will take some of the limelight off of the release?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

"You know there's going to be a lot of children there?" an FBI operative asked Mohamud. "You know there are gonna be a lot of children there?"
from the link in previous post..

hmmm.. what kind of statement is this exactly!!! LOL.

either the newspaper is trying to get a point across with slang by saying 'gonna'.. OR they just reprinted what the FBI actually said .. which .. denotes someone with very poor English working in the FBI or the editor ..

I'm just not entirely sure what source that statement is coming FROM and why the bad English? what's the point ??

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
This is nothing but entrapment
for an agenda. They set this guy
up with a fake device and he thought
it was real.

Yeah. It's terrible what they did to this guy.
Made him think he was going to get to kill a bunch of families. Men, women and children celebrating the holidays, and it was all a joke.

Poor guy. He's a victim.

How's a suicide bomber supposed to murder a bunch of people with the feds playing games like that?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
He wanted to commit an act of terrorism, the FBI operative played along, prentending to help. but in fact was only helping him to get a longer jail sentance.

I dont think it was entrapment, like some think. It seems to me they wanted to get this guy locked up for as long as possible

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
ok .. found some more info on this.. not sure if it's all a rehash but .. something that struck my attention.. is

Detectives swooped on him just after he dialed a cell phone number that he thought would set off the bomb. As they closed in, Mohamud tried to kick at them and yelled "Allahu Akbar!" - Arabic for "God is great!"
[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/somalia/8164440/Somali-teenager-tried-to-set-off-car-bomb-in-US.html]source[/ url]

hmmmm.. ok .. so .. anyone know how difficult it is to set up a cell phone bomb? What is also a little 'strange' is after seeing detcord.. he still goes along with the plan.. LOL.. like you can just buy if off the shelf like candy w/o any signature proof of ID etc..

I mean, hmmm... even for a 19 yr old, you/d think after seeing detcord .. he'd go CYA" ! i smell a rat..

full article below..

Somali teenager 'tried to set off car bomb in US' A Somali teenager has been arrested on suspicion of trying to set off a car bomb, US police said on Saturday.

By Colin Freeman 8:37AM GMT 27 Nov 2010

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, attempted to detonate what he believed was an explosives-laden van at an annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland, Oregon. However, undercover FBI agents had been monitoring his plans and had ensured that the "bomb" was a dud.

Mohamud, a naturalised US citizen of Somali descent, was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Portland police around 5:40 pm Friday (0040 GMT Saturday). Detectives swooped on him just after he dialled a cell phone number that he thought would set off the bomb. As they closed in, Mohamud tried to kick at them and yelled "Allahu Akbar!" - Arabic for "God is great!"

"The threat was very real. Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale," said Arthur Balizan, a special agent in charge of the FBI in Oregon. "At the same time, I want to reassure the people of this community that, at every turn, we denied him the ability to actually carry out the attack."

Prosecution documents lodged in a US court claimed that since the summer of 2009, Mohamud had been in email contact with a suspected terrorist in Pakistan's lawless northwest frontier province, currently a haven for al Qaeda cells. After discussing the possibility of Mohamud traveling to Pakistan to engage in jihad, or holy war, the accomplice allegedly gave Mohamud contact details of a terrorist cell overseas with whom a terror plot would be hatched.

Repeated attempts by Mohamud to contact his would-be partners failed, and then last June, an FBI undercover agent contacted Mohamud via email pretending to be an associate of his Pakistani contact.

At a meeting in Portland a month later, Mohamud told the FBI operative that he had written articles that were published in "Jihad Recollections," an online magazine that advocated violence against non-Muslims.

He later told the agents that he had wanted to conduct a holy war against "infidels" since the age of 15, and that he had identified the annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square as a good target.

Earlier this month, Mohamud and the agents traveled to the Oregon backcountry and detonated a bomb as a trial run. On the drive back, the undercover officials asked Mohamud if he was capable of looking at the bodies of those killed, according to the federal documents.

"Mohamud responded: 'I want whoever is attending that event to leave, to leave either dead or injured."'

On Friday, an undercover agent and Mohamud drove to downtown Portland in a white van that carried six 55-gallon drums with detonation cords and plastic caps, but all of them were inert.

They got out of the van and walked to meet another undercover agent, who drove to Union Station, the Portland train station, where Mohamud was given a cell phone that he thought would blow up the van.

FBI operatives apparently cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of this plan, noting that there would be many children at the event. But Mohamud responded that he was looking for a "huge mass that will ... be attacked in their own element with their families celebrating the holidays," the court documents said.

US Attorney Dwight Holton remarked: "This defendant's chilling determination is a stark reminder that there are people - even here in Oregon - who are determined to kill Americans."

Somalia, which has been without a functioning government since 1991, has been identified as a source of major concern by Western security agencies fighting Islamic extremism. They have warned that members of the Somali diaspora living in north America and Europe may be recruited by al Qaeda to carry out attacks on Western soil.

There was no word from authorities if the suspect had any ties to other Americans recently accused of trying to carry out attacks on US soil, including alleged efforts in May by a Pakistan-born man to set off a car bomb near Times Square or another Pakistan-born Virginia resident accused last month in a bomb plot to kill commuters.

Omar Jamal, first secretary to the Somali mission to the United Nations, condemned the plot and urged Somalis to cooperate with police and the FBI. "Talk to them and tell them what you know so we can all be safe," he said.
[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/somalia/8164440/Somali-teenager-tried-to-set-off-car-bomb-in-US.html]source[/ url]:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The title should read,

"Federal Terrorist Group (FBI) Donates High-Explosives to be Used in Portland Tree Lighting Then Takes Them Back."

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Thx for posting this .. I thought PT's post deserved some looking into and had some excellent points (Reprint from ProtoplasmicTraveler @ source

This is an outrageous story of yet another example of the deceptive nature of the Homegrown War on Terror, where the FBI seems to by their own admission have been involved at every step from the recruitment of a angry young teenager, to helping him acquire the components to making a bomb, to helping him test explode a bomb, to helping him make a mock bomb to carry out an ‘attack’ on the American public.

Now I have some serious questions here. This is a 19 year old ‘local’ kid, angry by self admission, reaching out to try to become part of something where he can direct that anger. Who he reaches out to though is FBI undercover operatives in this attempt.

So at this point why does the FBI not intervene, by seeking some sort of court ordered counseling?

No they keep trying to get him to carry out an attack.

So they help him find and then get the components to make a bomb and help him test explode it.

Pretty sure that test exploding bombs with out the proper license is illegal so why don’t they arrest him then and there.

He is not part of a larger network, they already know that.

So instead they help him then build a mock bomb to carry out the attack they have been helping an impressionable angry teenager plan for the better part of full year.

When he attempts to explode the bomb that is not in fact a bomb in that public setting they then swoop in and arrest him, for big press, and to instill big fear in the public.

Yet the sad truth is, had the FBI not recruited the kid, helped him acquire those skills, babysat and guided him through every step of the process, he probably would have been sitting home like most angry teens are.

Am I the only person who sees this as patently dishonest, irresponsible, and deliberately manipulative, and an insult to the American people.

This could have by all accounts been handled better, more cost effectively and efficiently from the onset, rather than Government Agents orchestrating a elaborate charade solely for the benefit of public consumption.

I find this story truly alarming. Clearly the government is trying to terrorize us through these strategies to empower the government to terrorize us.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A couple of relative vids for the mix:

I really don't like this morning show, but, for what it's worth..

spec

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join