Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

FBI thwarts terrorist bombing attempt at Portland holiday tree lighting, authorities say

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

FBI thwarts terrorist bombing attempt at Portland holiday tree lighting, authorities say

www.oregonlive.com

The FBI thwarted an attempted terrorist bombing in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square moments before the city's annual tree-lighting Friday night, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Oregon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This has just come up on the Sky news channel. However, I cannot find it on the site.

I have looked on ATS for any more info, but nothing has come up as yet. I thought the next scare would come from this dreaded computer virus that has now fallen into terrorist hands!

Is nothing sacred. Christmas lights for petes sake.

Peace

www.oregonlive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27/11/2010 by LestatG because: (no reason given)
edit on 27/11/2010 by LestatG because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Somalia and resident of Corvallis, was arrested on accusations of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction (explosives) in connection with a plot to detonate a vehicle bomb at an annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony, the Justice Department announced.
According to a criminal complaint signed in the District of Oregon, Mohamud was arrested by the FBI and Portland Police Bureau at 5:40 p.m. Friday after he tried to detonate what he through to be an explosives-laden van that was parked near the tree lighting ceremony in Portland’s Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Read more: www.statesmanjournal.com...

Interesting.... Don't know what to think yet.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Thanks, what caught my attention was the presenter stated that the FBI gave him the inert device. The way he stated it though, suggested that they told him to go and do it, that they were the masterminds rather than the other way around.

Reading the sources available though it seems as though they were setting him up as per usual with undercover operations.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Posted a few articles over at when the breaking news popped up on CNN: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

According to your link, the FBI had been monitoring things and maintained contact with the accused and even tried to talk him out of it.

"During this meeting, Mohamud explained how he had been thinking of committing some form of violent jihad since the age of 15," the affidavit says. "Mohamud then told (the FBI operatives) that he had identified a potential target for a bomb: the Christmas tree-lighting ceremony in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square on Nov. 26, 2010."

The FBI operatives cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of his plan, noting that there would be many people, including children, at the event, and that Mohamud could abandon his plans at any time with no shame.

"You know there's going to be a lot of children there?" an FBI operative asked Mohamud. "You know there are gonna be a lot of children there?"

Mohamud allegedly responded he was looking for a "huge mass that will ... be attacked in their own element with their families celebrating the holidays."

Mohamud dismissed concerns about law enforcement, explaining that, " ... It's in Oregon; and Oregon, like, you know, nobody ever thinks about," according to the affidavit.

So maybe the FBI did facilitate the event but I think the affadavit, for what it's worth, shows the suspect did have intent to commit the act.

edit on 11/27/2010 by abecedarian because: to insert who I was replying to

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Secularist

Very sorry I did search before hand. Much more info thatn I have sourced.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I read someplace recently that individuals are being encouraged to act on their own rather than as part of a centrally organized AlQuaida operation. This scenario would appear to fit that MO. We may be seeing more of this sort of thing as time goes on.

On one level I have to give credit to the police and FBI for actually subverting this kid's plans. On another tho, you do have to wonder about the kid's young age contributing to his vulnerability.

Anyway, real glad that he was stopped.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I am sure he had intent, there seems to be a lot of people around who want to get noticed, or to make some sort of statement. Albeit in a totally destructive and evil way.

I understand that for a conviction the authorities would have to go some way into the plot in order to prove that the person was really serious about an attack.

However, when you look into the 7/7 bombings it looks like people can get drawn in thinking it is an exercise, many patsies are drawn into a plot this way.

Not saying that is the case here but with all possibilities should be considered.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

That is a major worry, individuals will be a lot harder to stop or prevent. A smaller network of people would make it harder to infiltrate or even find out about in the first place.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Lets face it, there have always been disenfranchised individuals around who choose to get back at society in some form or other. Al'quida simply provides a modern, more violent model for these guys to follow when acting out their anger at the world. One thing is clear, Pakistan seems to be the place where the embers of violent "jihad" are kept burning hot. There always seems to be a link back there.

I was really taken aback by the fact that this kid wasn't on a suicide mission but had plans to leave the country afterward. I would suggest that he has more of a mental illness than any kind of religious convictions.

Anyway, glad at least something is coming of all this government spying.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Sheeple!!!

Nobody foiled the plot.

The FBI found a sucker and directed the whole thing, start to finish . . .
They CREATED the plot.

And if you're not frightened enough already they'll have to give their patsy a real bomb next time,

- As they did with the first Twin Tower bombing.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

You read my mind!!!

As I read the article I could not help but remember the first WTC bombing in 1993. This sounds like the exact same thing. They found someone who expressed his ideas of committing acts of terror and they (the FBI) gave him what he needed to accomplish it. Only this time they used a fake bomb and swooped in to play hero. Fact is, this "terrorist" had no clue how to make a bomb the FBI made one for him. This "terrorist" would have just been another person with a bad idea, who without the help of the FBI probably would not have ever acted.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Yes, the only terrorist plots that are ever uncovered and thwarted are the ones meant to ramp up the fear. Its like foiling a drug dealer who sells catnip and baking soda. Or some 8 year olds with a koolaid stand. They know pretty much everything, whether its 'actionable intelligence'? it depends on how vulnerable the suspect is.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
Thanks, what caught my attention was the presenter stated that the FBI gave him the inert device. The way he stated it though, suggested that they told him to go and do it, that they were the masterminds rather than the other way around.

that is exactly correct.
This is nothing but entrapment
for an agenda. They set this guy
up with a fake device and he thought
it was real.

The very same thing happened in New York
per this article.

FBI ‘lured dimwits’ into terror plot
www.timesonline.co.uk...

In that plot, the FBI furnished fake missiles
and guns if I'm not mistaken. It seems that
the FBI is recruiting terrorists for it's own agenda.
Why don't they do us all a favor and go get the
real ones instead of a patsy for a bigger
budget.

Why don't the FBI do some real good
and arrest the Mossad Spies in the US?
This is the bigger threat than a dimwit
with a backpack. Oh and let's not
forget the terrorists at the CIA. How
bout getting them too?

Epic Fail !!!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well said.

Where is the line drawn between people who have an ideology to do something and the ones who are capable of doing something. How much/many resources do you divert away from real threats in order to create one and 'prove' that someone is capable of threat.

Entrapment is wrong, who is to say that this person would have gone so far if he didnt receive help and resources to carry out his wishes.

It does seem a very greay area.

Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Yet another reason to hate the Oregon ducks.

Go huskies!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Is it my imagination, or do 'they' want to SHRINK our world, in PERSPECTIVE? Think about this for 1 moment, the US is a BIG place; and there are MILLIONS of people living in it. IF someone wanted to 'blow' something up, couldn't they, without anyone knowing anything? I mean, seriously? How difficult would it be to create a 'terrorist' event?

Also, are we still living in the stone ages to think, that 'terrorists' only use "bombs and planes", or subways? Aren't there other ways to 'frighten' people...or is blowing oneself up, the only way to do it?

And, could someone please tell me, HOW 'the man' always seems to be at the right place, at the right time? Is Jack Bauer on the case, or what? Like i said, the US is a big place....and big brother can't be everywhere, all the time.

It seems to me like they want us to believe that they are 'working' to keep us safe and protected. They want the alphabet agencies to APPEAR bigger than they are, in our eyes. They're trying to mind ufck us into thinking 'they' (alphabet men) are right behind us.

Side note: it just occured to me that those employed by the alphabet agencies, must really BELIEVE in the whole 'war on terror'/boogie man CRAP; or they wouldn't be going along with the scam! It's either that, or they really have no moral compass, and care nothing more than paying their bills!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Looking at the guys mug shot...

He looks like a terrorist!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This situation is so silly to me. Some agents went to a teenager and asked him if he wanted to blow up people, then the agents gave him a dummy bomb to go do it. The agencies fill the news media on how they saved the country one more time.... I really don't get it.

We are making up our terrorist takedowns. And they just blatantly state the fact as well.

Are there any terrorists out their that would actually do anything without the FBI's help? LOL.

This is bizarre o' world. Maybe there is more to the facts and I am just ignorant. I can only hope.

edit on 27-11-2010 by wiredamerican because: claritry

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join