It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists, How can carry on with such a depressing thought

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Hahaha i can relate to you bro. I like that quote by Mark Twain, never heard it

I know it's frustrating but i know it's worth debating, it's worth changing.

I've never heard of that someone changing from Agnosticism to Fundamentalist Chistian!? Why did he decide faith was the best option, that he didn't need evidence after preaching that he did under the umbrella of Agnosticism?

I know the whole "good/evil" thing is completely subjective, much like the "sin" is subjective to each religion but i see Anti-Theism as fighting the good fight, the fight for freedom, emancipation of society, freedom from oppression, separation to stop these technique of exclusivity from society.

And i agree, Einstein and many ancient philosophers such as Socrates have given me hope against this form of stupidity and fascism that ruins lives directly and indirectly.
edit on 27/11/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Atheists what's the purpose of anything if there is fundamentally no meaning to anything?

Well, look at it this way. At least we know there's no meaning to anything, rather than going through life either fearing some kind of punishment for doing "bad," or hoping for reward for being "good," when there really isn't any of that. Is it better to live in a fool's paradise, or act under a delusion? Hard to say. I don't buy into the concept of sin, so therefore I am without sin, which is nice. I have no guilt or fear of punishment. I feel a little sorry for people who think they're sinners who will pay for it after they die. Such a waste of time and emotion.

It doesn't change the way I act every day. I still want to avoid death and pain like any other animal. I try to be good to people and hope they'll be good to me in return, because even though this life might be meaningless, there's no need to make it any worse than it already is. I don't think I'm a better person than somebody else because I believe one thing and they believe another.

All in all, I exist now, and I still have to deal with it. I've just figured out that I don't need a mystical supernatural entity working behind the scenes to give everything "meaning." It's all the same, anyway.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

It is worth debating and changing, but it also feels like bashing your head against a brick wall.

Honestly, if I could answer the question as to how an agnostic converts to that, I would. It blew my mind. I thought she was joking (she's a she, and I'm a she, just so you get the right context here, lol). I really thought she was joking, I even laughed. And then I realized it was no joke. And I laughed again. Then my brain exploded.

She met someone who she became close to at school, who eventually opened up about her religious beliefs and she is crazy devout. Next thing I know my friend is mailing me a freaking invitation to some church with connections to a major televangelist figure. I was like you have got to be completely out of your mind if you think for a second I would submit myself to that cult. It is a cult. There is no other correct word. CULT. Even my friend's own Christian mother called them a cult!

They stole her and brainwashed her all because I was a bit busy in my life and wasn't there when she obviously needed my insight the most. I feel I failed her and myself here. It's really sad. She just said she was saved, she felt god connect to her, she really told me that, and that now she has no questions. This is a best friend I have had for almost 10 years! We've had deep conversations about the nature of religion and the Bible itself being entirely man-made, how easy it would be to start your own religion, etc.

Now she's gone to the dark side, and frankly I'm too scared to reach in there to try to grab her out. They've already told her she shouldn't speak to me anymore, they even told her not to listen to her mother because she is Catholic and Catholics are going to hell. They tell her to break up with her boyfriend because he isn't serving god. They get on her for smoking cigarettes, even the music she listens to.

They told her that all her faults are her experiencing payment for sins that she committed or sins of her parents/family. No jokes here people, this is definitely kool-aid status. I fear for her, she said herself she feels oppressed by them now and doesn't know how to turn back. They've consumed her facebook, they follow her at school, they guilt trip her for skipping church, talk down to her and tell her she's always sinning. The worst part is that she believes it all. She's nothing but argumentative with me now like she thinks she is going to convert me or something. I was raised atheist and then self-professed agnosticism when I got older, and she's seriously trying this stuff on me?! She even has gone so far to bring dinosaurs and evolution into it. We went to a public school and were taught evolution, not creation, and now suddenly dinosaurs this and apes that and Adam and Eve and nothing makes sense anymore.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Nope. Its all the SOS to me anyway!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Riveting.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

That really is sad, i'm sorry to hear you lost a friend in a way. It's a very sensitive matter when it comes to family pressures, and that's without the dogmatic fantasies of the Christian "cults" (as you said). I truely feel for her, a part of her must still believe it's all nonsense.

And this is what i'm talking about, religion poisons everything based on "faith". From her parents point of view, they probably see it as doing the greater good, invading her privacy, telling her what to do, being strict etc. They probably genuinely believe they are helping their daughter get into the magical afterlife. This christian dogma causes people to categorise people as sinners, and it's rediculous.

I'm not saying the parents are bad people, i guess they genuinely thinking they are doing the greater good, or "God's will" but at the sacrifice of the girl's freedom, individuality and this is wrong.

It's about time non-believers got the respect that the religious so often, and undeservingly get. Nice speaking to you, keep fighting the good fight; don't give up on your friend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join