It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nervous before I enlist in the Marines

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
One of my greatest fears going into the military will be having to go through war. As an avid reader of various military books I always get the same message from my books. "War is Hell"! Sorry for the profanity. How would I be able to cope with the fighting and the lost of life around me? I'm practicing Buddhism to help me cope before I enlist and so forth. How would my other soldiers of various branches cope with this struggle?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
ok, let me get this straight RR... you wanna enlist in the USMC, your're practising Buddhism & you're opposed to war?
Have you spoken to the careers guy yet?

I've gotten drunk with marines in the past & I'm preeeeetty sure they were'nt Buddhists. Are you sure about this?
Best of luck pal!

Semper Fi to long lost friends & the best fun I ever had btw!!
EDIT TO ADD:

icon :disbelief:

edit on 26-11-2010 by HelionPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Kid, yer gonna do just fine. The key is to drink as much beer as possible as oftens as posibble so that ways you don't have to think about nothin-- worked for me for 10 years in the Navy, bud.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

personally i commend you for having a realistic outlook while still joining. But like some things in life I don't think you can prepare yourself for things of this nature its only natural to make connections while in and grow to respect those around you and watch as you lose some in ways you wouldn't want your worst enemy to die. One of two things usually happen after you go though it #1 you make closer bonds and work so hard to protect them that any mess up is viewed as sin or you break completely and become a lone wolf who doesn't want friends or any connection to friends there or at home.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
one word of advice -

ix-nay on the Japanese anime and cartoons and such.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
if you're joining because you need someone to support you with food and money and accomodation. Then all power to you, and you will suffer for doing things you don't want to do.

If you are joining because you believe you are fighting for your country, freedom and your countries constitution.. I don't know how to break it for you, but you won't be fighting for any of those things.. You'll be fighting for a select few people,who have their own interests at heart instead of your nation.

You will have to kill, and i find it strange that you want to join the military. It seems to me you want to play out your childhood video game dreams of being a disgruntled war-vet who "saw some things"...

This is coming from a guy with experience in an army that is not that "active" as the us. They drill into your head in a subtle manner that killing is awesome (sometimes in an outright blunt manner).
edit on 26-11-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

I forgot to add: If you are joining for the skills you will be taught, then that is good too,but again,you will suffer while being taught them. But I have to say the skills you learn there, both officially and by-yourself, are overall an improvement for you.

In the end, you get used to it. It's no biggy.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

edit on 26-11-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well the big question is, are you ready to kill another human being, because that is what you will be doing.

So decide now, because once you are there, you will have no choice.

And don't worry about freezing on the battlefield, because you will pull the trigger or possibly die.

The service will give you the training you require, they will prepare you mentally and physically.

But, you also have to ask yourself this.

Is your participation in the war, making America safer?
Or, is the war, creating more terrorists.

We are at war with a tactic (terrorism). How can you win that war.

And isn't the never-ending war against terrorism, really just a war for corporate profits, mineral resources, and strategic military positions?

I would not ask these questions, of those determined to join, but you seem hesitant.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

What happened to being an orthodox Jew last tuesday?

I doubt you join, but if you need encouragement...

two shoes jokes in one post?!!
edit on 26-11-2010 by Lysergic because: just do it eh?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slay, I figured you'd be the first to respond, but you made up for your tardiness with quality, as always.

Good luck to you, young man. Most Marines will tell you the same thing when they leave. The thing they missed the most is the family.

You ask how you're gong to cope? You won't be coping alone. Joy shared is joy multiplied. There is plenty to be had in the Corps. Pain shared is pain diminished. There's plenty of that, as well. You'll never be alone so long as the Eagle, Globe and Anchor adorns your uniform. Whatever your language, whatever your religion, whatever you believe, we all laugh in the same language, and you're going to laugh harder fuller and louder than you ever have before.

Never lose your sense of humor and you'll be just fine.

Semper Fidelis means Always Faithful. Not just to our God, our country and the Corps... but to each other as well.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

RR, let me tell you, if you are practicing Buddhism, my beloved Marine Corp is the LAST place you want to be. If you are worried about taking a life, the Marine Corp is the LAST place you want to be. If you are frightened, then the Marine Corp is the LAST place you want to be.

Did I mention that the USMC is the LAST place you want to be?

I can dig where you are coming from. You want to serve your country, and like anyone you want to be the best at what you do, so logically, you are looking at the Corp. I'd like to make a suggestion:

JOIN THE NAVY!

I'm not saying that out of the well known ribbing we Jarheads give squids, but if you were to become a medic attached to a Marine Corp unit I think that might be better suited to your needs. You can serve your country, serve your fellow man, and not have to take a life.

Marines are KILLERS RR. Their sole function is to take life in support of US foreign policy. If you can't get with that program, I'll say it one last time: The Marine Corp is the LAST place you want to be.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
good luck amigo!
when I enlisted I remember the girl at the airport told me after telling her I was on my way to boot camp, "you don't seem nervous at all".

it sounds like you have mixed feelings about what your stepping into. I bid you well, but your going to have to stick it out now that your dedicated in a contract and have lost your constitutional rights.

make the best of it, don't get trapped in a bad moral and just keep your head up (or rather down) and make it as positive as you can. it worked for me and my friends that didn't succumb to the "screw it" attitude that everyone eventually fell into. and we were awarded for it.

god speed amigo.

edit- oldcorp says true words. if your not under contract yet, the navy is a better idea. that's what I did and you get the benefit of traveling to new places and not having to deal with direct combat. and you have quite the weapons systems behind you protecting you.
edit on 11/26/2010 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Wow, buddhism hey

Well judging by your past threads, you are now a Jewish, Buddhist, Christian, Athiest Freemason that has a kid with a girl named Jennifer and is being constantly tempted by satan

edit on 26/11/2010 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
...well, rebel, you're not one of my kids, so its really none of my biz what you do... however, since you asked, heres my take - but - first, heres what my advice is based upon...

...in the last few months or so, you posted about (1) having issues with your family because they're christian and you werent sure if that was right for you - then - (2) you were going to convert to judaism - then - (3) you claimed to be an atheist - now - (4) you're into buddhism and want to be a marine, which are contradictory...

...you seem very inquisitive and theres nothing wrong with that - but - joining the military is not something you should do on a whim... dont believe the standard bs "you'll be fine"... they dont know if you'll be fine or not and they wont be around if you are not fine...

...so, my advice is - you need to wait on your decision about being a marine - at least a year... if by this time next year, you still want to be a marine, then go for it...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Well I believe in my own version of God, I enjoy to practice Masonry and Buddhism and my ex claims I have a child with her; I just don't believe her. She is a constant liar.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I have to agree with all you guys. I decided to join one of the branches of the military about two years ago. My friends and I had family who joined so I decided hell why not me? Everyone was excited and pumped up! I might not be a typical male into sports still I love the excitement when that epicness happens. I know the military is not a game. Buddhism is the one of the ways for me to cope with pressure. It works well for me.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I just don't believe her. She is a constant liar.

Scratches head* offers RR a mirror

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Quick Question, just a basic one.

Why are you joining?
Be honest with your reasons.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by inchworm

Are you serious? What would be a better substitute then alcohol? Meditation (Buddhism) is perfect me. As well yoga. I feel like a person who is a gymnastic and my body feels great.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Are you calling me a liar? Of course I lie. Who doesn't? I just change my mind a lot. Everyone who knows me know this about me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join