It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YOUR FAVOURITES FROM THE BRITPOP ERA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well from Oasis to Blur, Elastica to Garbage, Suede to Pulp,
This was a fantastic era with lots of great music. I know my favourites and I would like to know yours...
who do you think shaped music in the BLAIR years?

I remember and applaud when Jarvis Cocker climbed on the stage and made his point to Michael Jackson (RIP),

here is one of my all time PULP favourites.......hope you like

PEACE
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
How can you not get a "fattie" on at this?

enjoy....... here's the tissues

PEACE,
RK
edit on 26-11-2010 by Rigel Kent because: edited cos me mam walked in the room.........

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Seeing as you have Pulp covered here is the number two pick, or number one both are the front runners anyway.

edit on 26-11-2010 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

Yummy.

If you read some of Shirley Mansons interviews she was a very naughty girl indeed

I used to like Elastica also

Edit to add

Shed 7

edit on 26-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

for me she was beautiful in kings cross and talented too, but bret anderson had a big hold over Her at The tiMe.
hmmmmm maybe they were both on the gear.....

What do you know about this?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Man I had a crush on her.

her too, but only this video, the rest she is not so hot...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a different time in my life, haahaha.

the parallels...
minus the pixelations hahaha
edit on 26-11-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The golden era

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Britpop was my coming-of-age era, it was a great time with a great soundtrack!

Oasis and Ocean Colour Scene were my favorite bands. As well as having great singles and being ace live, they also had a real depth of B-sides that were often better than single/album songs. However Pulp are the 90s band that gets the most play on my stereo these days...their music seems to have aged a lot better than their contemporaries'

Pulp, Something Changed

Ocean Colour Scene B-Side, Huckleberry Grove

As fantastic as the Britpop years were, I think that it may have left a negative legacy and a staid template for British guitar bands that followed. I mean, immediately after britpop, there was a total void, then we had the Libertines (who were great), but after that, for the most part, all we seem to have got is awful bands like the Kaiser Chiefs, The Enemy, and dare I say Kasabian (great first album, sluggish and boring thereafter). I think our bands are stuck in a creative rut, under the shadow of britpop, and lag severely behind creatively vibrant and original bands coming from accross the atlantic (like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Arcade Fire etc etc etc)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Paul

Originally posted by Paul
As fantastic as the Britpop years were, I think that it may have left a negative legacy and a staid template for British guitar bands that followed. I mean, immediately after britpop, there was a total void, then we had the Libertines (who were great), but after that, for the most part, all we seem to have got is awful bands like the Kaiser Chiefs, The Enemy, and dare I say Kasabian (great first album, sluggish and boring thereafter). I think our bands are stuck in a creative rut, under the shadow of britpop, and lag severely behind creatively vibrant and original bands coming from accross the atlantic (like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Arcade Fire etc etc etc)

I agree that Britpops legacy has been a tough act to follow, with many bands growing cold in it's shadow. But I think that period set the bar so unrealistically high that it is unfair to compare anything that follows with it - Oasis are a singular example of this as every album they released after WTSMG was unfairly compared to their first two albums.

Looking at some of the bands/albums since about '99 onwards it actually doesn't make bad reading:

The Strokes
The Libertines
Coldplay
Kings of Leon
Kasabian
Arctic Monkeys
The White Stripes
Elbow

There is some top notch music to be heard there. I know that The Strokes, White Stripes and KOL aren't British but I think we have a fair case of claiming them as our own because like bands before them (Jimi Hendrix, Pixies) they weren't appreciated in their homeland and I struggle to not see them within our nations music history.

I definitely agree that the whole genre has become stagnant, with American bands like MGMT and Arcade Fire showing us hows it's done. Which is why I think folk has made a a bit of a resurgence of late as people turn away from indie/rock music.

I'm waiting to see what The Libertines do next after their great Reading/Leeds Festival shows, although I'm not holding my breath. Ahh, the good old days...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Mansun and their song Wide Open Spaces. amazing.

didnt much like Katie Manure.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
oh lord! my pre-teen years were full of britpop hits, it was the trending music back in that time here

my favs (one was already posted, The Universal by Blur)

The Verve is still one of my fav bands of the life.

I still love Oasis with all my heart, even when I think that the Gallagher bros. are bats*** insane and I can't stand them =s...

My fav Pulp's

and to end this, my fav britpop song of all the universe (I used to be in love f mr. Albarn when I was a preteen, I even had a poster of him on my bedroom!)

edit on 5-12-2010 by Caggy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join