It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider proves the universe was once a liquid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3cd15d826c42.jpg[/atsimg]

The world's most powerful particle accelerator smashed together lead nuclei at the highest energies possible, creating dense sub-atomic particles that reach temperatures of over ten trillion degrees. Beyond being awesome, this achievement shows the early universe was actually a liquid.

Normal matter can't exist in any form at these sort of absurdly hot temperatures. Instead, matter is thought to melt into a strange, soup-like substance known as quark-gluon plasma.

io9.com

Now that's weird. Melting Matter, soup-like substance. I've never heard of quark-gluon plasma before. Lots of experiments and findings are being made. Next one will be a portal entrance to another universe
. Maybe someday.

edit on 26-11-2010 by Oozii because: Font

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That is so cool , these are the kind of threads I like to read about, great find !

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
so matter is liquid at extream temps huh?
good find star and flag

xploder

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Interesting. It kind of reminds me about ancient religious text that talks about all matter melting during the end times. So if everything is liquid, how is it held together? By temperature maybe.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

ten trillion degrees

Wow, that is awesome, my tiny barely out of caveman rompers mind is still pretty impressed that we can make fire at all, forging metals was enough really, "ten trillion degrees" almost seems a bit uneccessary really - are they just showing off?

How do we KNOW they didn't make that up, I mean, how will that ever be replicated, tested or deomonstrated(by anyone except an elite) - of course it will, but, wow, just, "ten trillion degrees"...that'd do wonders on my frozen locks...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
well that makes sense since it was plasma. Also the article isn't very in depth but I suspect that this only lasted for seconds or even less after the big bang.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I believe it's more like a state of matter we haven't reached before that behaves like a liquid. Hows matter held together? Well, as far as I understand the theory, think of it like this:

This is more analogous: You take some water and freeze it, you are removing energy from the system. The water turns to ice and you have a solid block of crystal.
Now you fire a blowtorch at the ice and it melts back into water. You are pumping energy into the system, enough for the atoms to become energetic, change state and become a liquid.

Ok, so whats actually going on here? Hadrons (the things colliding) are subatomic particles made up of smaller building block particles called quarks. More specifically we're colliding protons.
Quarks are held together by whats referred to as the Strong Nuclear Force which keeps them attracted to one another, like really strong magnets. This force is mediated by another particle called a gluon.
Like with the magnet, in order to seperate them, you must exceed the energy level of the force holding them together.
The LHC energy levels are in excess of the Strong Nuclear Force which is causing the protons to break apart into their composite quarks and what you get is a mess of free quarks and gluons in a plasma state- a state of matter which we have only just reached!

So what holds matter together? In theory it's what we called the Strong Nuclear Force. What we're doing is exceeding that force to reach new states of matter that we have never seen before. Cream of gluon soup anyone?

Edit: So yea, I guess, temperature/energy (or lack there of) is what allows the fundemental forces to have an effect on matter and hold it together haha

edit on 26/11/10 by strangequark because: See edit

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Next spacecraft will have their own sustained starpower nulear reactive cores which can open fabricated wormholes in any direction they wish. Who could be trusted with such power. As desire takes root in the consciouness of all men for rich or poor, the truth will be known about the past, present and future, if we by chance survive mens kraving for power. Who could be trusted with such power, when it is known we are not gods nor have such lifespan. But whatis we gained a godlike lifespan as we continue to learn, what then? Will we decide who is worthy of life and death at this point? Will only a certain class of people be vouched for? Those who can be trusted with great power in control of conscious minds not betraying themselves to consumption? Or will we offer eternal life to all which would bring life as we know it to an inevitable apocolypse as vanity and desire tear at the hearts of the living, all the while only the meek are worthy. Who should decide who is meek and obidient to the maturity of great science? Could they be meek as well, following a leader pragmatic but yet humble?

Are we repeating the deep past? Are we doomed to make the same mistake of making assumptions about our perceptions of such power again? Will this be our end or our beginning?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
...and the spirit of the Lord hovered over the face of the - quark-gluon plasma?" I'll buy that.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Liquid? Primordial soup perhaps?

I love that science is driving towards the truth embedded in every creation myth.

We are all One.

Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Liquid? Primordial soup perhaps?

I love that science is driving towards the truth embedded in every creation myth.

We are all One.

Peace

Ah yes, the creation mythology of the big bang theory - first postulated by a Jesuit priest.
I think this is no accident. I am curious to know: how does length, width and height suddenly spring into existence? What did the "big bang" expand into? Where did it originate? Are there such things as unicorns and fairies? Dark matter? Dark Energy? Black Holes?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
so matter is liquid at extream temps huh?
good find star and flag

xploder

LOL.. this solves the particle - wave duality then. (liquid has waves
)

Just kidding.

top topics

join