It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli forces kill soccer playing "Gaza boy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Israeli forces have shot dead a 9-year-old Palestinian boy playing football in a Gaza refugee camp as tanks rolled in to search for tunnels used by militants, witnesses say.

"We were playing soccer when Israeli tanks ... started firing inside the camp and towards us," said Bashir Abu Jlidan, 18, a resident of Rafah refugee camp in the southern Gaza Strip.

www.reuters.co.uk...

No, the Israeli's did not pull the plug on the latest teen sensation. They were beat to the punch in getting the their side of the story out. I do not believe in blaming the vicitm, but what were the kids doing playing soccer in the middle a tank formation?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BOHICA

No, the Israeli's did not pull the plug on the latest teen sensation. They were beat to the punch in getting the their side of the story out. I do not believe in blaming the vicitm, but what were the kids doing playing soccer in the middle a tank formation?

True, you would think that kids would know to stay out of danger. But perhaps there were no other places to play soccer? Gaza strip is a 'small' piece of land that is densely populated by civilians. Add the IDF into the mixture and you have an extremely crowded area with little space to have recreation.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I hadn't thought about that.

Jeez, talk about your multi-use zoning laws.

What is that: R2, Multi-Family; T2, Multi-Tank.

What an impossible situation for all sides.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Ok, so I play in the middle of a terrorist camp and get shot, is it my fault or the terrorists fault? I am the enemy and I decide to play soccer amongst their troops. Hell, if they didn't shoot me, I would for being so stupid. What do you expect? It would be like a jew playing soccer in Hitlers bedroom, you already know whats going to happen.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BOHICA
Israeli forces have shot dead a 9-year-old Palestinian boy playing football in a Gaza refugee camp as tanks rolled in to search for tunnels used by militants, witnesses say.

"We were playing soccer when Israeli tanks ... started firing inside the camp and towards us," said Bashir Abu Jlidan, 18, a resident of Rafah refugee camp in the southern Gaza Strip.

www.reuters.co.uk...�ion=news

It always bothers me when I see masses of Palestinian kids in the streets, kids under 13 years old, when tensions are high. There are way too many young children out during protests and riots. How can anyone in good conscience allow their kids out in such a situation? It's almost as if they're using kids as shields just to bolster their claims of oppression. Nothing grabs headlines better than a dead 8 year old. Can't the adults take care of business themselves? Why are there young children around during Hamas marches where members are toting rifles and dressed in mock suicide bomber garb? That's ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
refugee camp, not terrorist camp. These people have to live somewhere.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
But either way in the end those who did the shooting are going to hell. The biggest joke Satan has ever played is making humans believe they will live forever. God loves children.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Ok, so I play in the middle of a terrorist camp and get shot, is it my fault or the terrorists fault?

It was a refugee camp, not a "terrorist" camp. Where else would you suggest a refugee lives?

I am the enemy and I decide to play soccer amongst their troops. Hell, if they didn't shoot me, I would for being so stupid. What do you expect? It would be like a jew playing soccer in Hitlers bedroom, you already know whats going to happen.

So a 9 year old boy playing football is a "the enemy" is it?

The article doesn't say anything about the boys playing amongst tanks or troops. It says they were playing football, in the camp, and tanks rolled in and shot at them. Hardly their own fault.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I didn't mean it as the kids were in a terrorist camp, I meant it as the kids are playing soccer amongst troops that they consider the enemy. I was playing soccer around terrorists, as I am their enemy, it is stupid to do! Hell, the palestinians have used kids in terrorist bombings before, how do they know the kids don't have bombs on them or the ball isn't a bomb? The palestinians have used men women and children in the past, I'd be worried to if a bunch of kids of the enemy started playing soccer around me.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The Isreali's see all palestinians as potential "enemy". They regularly strike in heavily populated areas, where of course there are children. For the kids to avoid being around "terrorists", they would have to avoid being around other Palestinians.

The idea that anyone would put their own children in harms as "human shields" is ludicrous, and just part of the propaganda aimed at de-humanizing these people. Where else are kids going to play? Maybe they should grow up cowering in their homes, never going outside?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Muppet, they have used babies as bombs! They have a baby, wrap it up in a blanket, put a bomb in the blanket, set the kid down walk away, boom, bye bye bus station and baby. They have used kids before! Kid goes to a night club, sits down, boom! No more night club, no more kid. The Palestinians use whatever the hell they want! Hell, they put a bomb on a donkey and set it loose in the middle of a busy street! Would you allow a bucnh of terrorists around you? No! You'd make sure they didn't blow you up. Israel is at a disadvantage for the enemy doesn't wear uniforms. They wear school clothes, work clothes, baby clothes, maternity clothes, whatever they happen to be wearing when they blow up a bus, hospital, store, club, school, car, whatever. It would be nice if the Palestinians wore neat little uniforms so one could tell the difference between a kid playing soccer and a terrorist playing soccer with a bomb under his clothes. They aren't Nazi's, they don't wear swastikas to show they are troops of the enemy, they hide among the people. Best sheild is a human sheild after all. May not stop a bullet but sure makes Israel look bad when they kill off the Palestinian version of UBL and injure a couple of civillians.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Muppet, they have used babies as bombs! They have a baby, wrap it up in a blanket, put a bomb in the blanket, set the kid down walk away, boom, bye bye bus station and baby. They have used kids before! Kid goes to a night club, sits down, boom! No more night club, no more kid. The Palestinians use whatever the hell they want!

Where did you get your info James? Fox News? National Enquirer? A church meeting? Israeli propaganda?

[edit on 2-7-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
CNN, MSNBC, Local News, Wall Street Journal, googleing.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Living in the middle of a war zone must re-calibrate a person's relative value of recreation, entertainment, relationships, and life itself. What is normal to us, is abnormal to those in the middle of armed conflict.

Too bad there seems no end in sight for this (Israeli/Palestinian) conflict.

new topics

top topics

join