It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man charged for covering head during police beating

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

www.rawstory.com

A Miami man whose beating at the hands of police was captured on cell phone video has been charged with resisting arrest without violence, a charge his lawyer says came from nothing more than the man's attempts to cover his head from the blows.

Gilberto Matamoros, a 21-year-old youth center worker, says he was doing nothing wrong when police arrested him during a brawl in Miami's Coconut Grove neighborhood on Halloween. According to his lawyer, Ricardo Martinez-Cid, Matamoros was picked out o
(visit the link for the full news article)

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

"All he tried to do is cover his head, until he passed out. They beat him until he was unconscious, and they had to take him to Jackson [Memorial Hospital]," said Martinez-Cid.

If this is true, then I don't know what to say, though I'm hardly surprised anymore. The charge of resisting arrest without violence? You have got to be kidding me, especially when all he was apparently trying to do, was cover his head, according to the video at least. That seems like a frivolous charge, at best.

Of course, we don't know what went on before or after but the charge of "resisting arrest without violence" sounds like one out of Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. Now apparently, if you don't completely submit to authorities, any authority anywhere, you will be charged for not absolutely bowing down to them.

I just want to make this clear that this isn't about the police officers. We don't know there reasons for beating this man. Instead, this is about the charge that this man now faces, for apparently covering his head in the beating.

Day by day, we are slowly but surely losing our liberties and our right to even protect ourselves. While you can no longer fly without being violated, you apparently can't even block the blows of our "dear authorities". What a scary thought.

--airspoon

www.rawstory.com

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
If this is true, then I don't know what to say, though I'm hardly surprised anymore. The charge of resisting arrest without violence? That seems like a frivolous charge, at best.

Resisting arrest without violence makes it sound like no arrest may be made unless the LEO is violent. I guess that's becoming true.
Resisting assault. Which is now illegal. Scary.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Resisting arrest without violence?!? Meaning if you attempt to passively protect yourself from getting hurt you will be arrested and charged? My God what the hell is wrong with our system?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I just read the article and watched the video. I was glad to hear that those two officers had their police powers suspended. Now they will not be able to beat anyone into a coma. I wish there was a way to suspend their stupidity powers because that power seems to be the real culprit. Nice find!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If these law-abusing animals don't do serious jail time, then I'm hoping some vigilante manages to hunt them down for a taste of their own medicine.
Hunting season is almost open......

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

A bit more on this...

Evidently the prosecution was going drop all of the charges against him. However, the video hit youtube and there was a TV crew at the court house.

The prosecutor changed his mind at the last minute and decided to charge him.

A couple of points here - the officers are under IA investigation. So, charging him could be an attempt clear the officers, or it could the be the prosecutor getting all cranky due to the publicity. Either, or both are highly possible.

Basically, it seems a case where they were just going to let him go and hope it all just got swept under the rug until the video came to light and everything got media attention. Now the focus is on proving him in wrong.

Local source below has these details

Man Beaten By Police On YouTube Is Charged

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Resisting arrest without violence could mean that the cops said, "freeze you're under arrest," and he tried to walk off while saying "no I'm not."

I am not saying that happened here. I'm not saying that the cops are right. What I am doing is explaining what other areas the law can cover.

Resisting arrest without violence is not a charge that some how violates civil rights or signifies a police state.
edit on 26-11-2010 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Deleted by me for being to confrontational and just not in a nice tone.
edit on 26-11-2010 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

www.rawstory.com

A Miami man whose beating at the hands of police was captured on cell phone video has been charged with resisting arrest without violence, a charge his lawyer says came from nothing more than the man's attempts to cover his head from the blows.

Gilberto Matamoros, a 21-year-old youth center worker, says he was doing nothing wrong when police arrested him during a brawl in Miami's Coconut Grove neighborhood on Halloween. According to his lawyer, Ricardo Martinez-Cid, Matamoros was picked out o

I work around there and I can tell you, some of these cops down here love to play Superman.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
I just read the article and watched the video. I was glad to hear that those two officers had their police powers suspended. Now they will not be able to beat anyone into a coma.

They can always go work for TSA

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Regardless of what it was, it doesn't seem like a crime. Such a thing could be vaguely interpreted, even if it was referring to such a situation. What happens if you don't agree with an officer and decide to nicely question him or oppose his reasoning, are you then resisting arrest without violence? What if he is beating you and you decide to cover your face because you want as little permanent damage as possible? Are you then resisting arrest here?

I just want to be clear that my "beef" isn;t necessarily with the cops, as I don't their reasoning for beating this guy. For all I know, he spit in their faces, though I do have a problem with a charge such as "resisting arrest without violence". If you don't want to be arrested, it should be your liberty to walk away and if the police feel that they have enough to arrest you, then they can follow. However, I believe that this is a seperate charge, such as "flight".

We should not be subject to the whim of police officers, because as we all can agree on, there are people who abuse that power, not to mention that this is supposed to be a free country. The police are supposed to serve the public, not control the public because after all, this country was not intended to be a police state and such a charge is resembling a police state, where the police have ultimate authority over the public.

"Resisting arrest without violence", should not be a viable and valid charge in a so-called free-country.

--airspoon

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Since when is receiving a beating considered "arrest"?

If they called it what it really was, then the picture becomes clear: Resisting a beating

If you want someone to keep their hands still so you can cuff them, then it probably isn't a good idea to be sucker punching them in the back of the head.

This is like pressing charges against someone for having involuntary reflexes: dehumanizing insanity.
edit on 26-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Like Iv all ways said they can arrest you for any thing including protecting your self.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
"Comply Slave!"says the cop.

Are you guys stupid or what??

"How dare that man resist a good hard beating,he pays the taxes for that cops wages after all-the least he could do is take a good beating for the pleasure-they are not here to serve us after all brothers and sisters.
We are here to bow to their delicious pain and oppression,or haven't you heard?

Get with the program-civilisation has rolled over,we are all the property of the multinationals who run the governments thanks to the banks.

Worship your new religion of weird commie/nazi fusion plus pseudo post democracy or be dealt with."

Say that10 years ago and my friends really did give me funny looks...They do so no longer.
Soon kids will think this is normal.
They will Know no different.

Shame on all of us if this is what becomes of our childrens generation.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
by keeping the resisting arrest charge, this is nothing
but a police dept. covering their arse. If all charges were
dropped then this guy would have immediately sued.
Now, they have to wait for a verdict in the other case
that can get bogged down in court for 5-6 yrs til it
blows over and everybody forgets about it. It is a stall
tactic by the DA.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Don't get caught at the wrong place at the wrong time, run for your life.

I smell revolution in the air.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If I were to go out and beat someone into a coma I would be arrested and put in jail, and rightfully so. If the law does the same thing they get there license revoked.

Who enforces the enforcers?

no one!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Let me get this straight here, as I am having a hard time seeing the video currently.

The man was beat by police, protected himself by just covering his face and now is being charged with resisiting arrest without violence.

I truly hope that this is what I see when I view the video eventually. I hope the video does nto begin with the beating so as we can see nothing leading up to it.

If the video begins with the beating, how can we know that this man did not resist arrest prior to the video beginning. Not that it justifies the force said to be used by the police, but it could justify the charges.

It is possible that this particular jurisdiction only has two charges for resisting, with or without violence.

Can someone please clue me in on what the video actually shows.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hendrix92TheUniverse
Don't get caught at the wrong place at the wrong time, run for your life.

I smell revolution in the air.

I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and did that. Guess where I spent that night at.

No one likes police brutality, especially the many(there are many of them) good police officers out there. This guy is lucky someone caught this on film because that should help win a big lawsuit.

Miami/Dade is notorious for corruption in all level of government.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join